Wednesday vs Non-League Posh 1960

Nearly a slip up though.  Seem to remember it was 0-0 until the last ten minutes.

Posh were no ordinary non league team.  They got elected to the league in that summer and just waltzed off with the Div 4 title, scoring 134 goals.  Centre forward Terry Bly got 54 league goals.  Incredible feat.  Yes, they played well against us. 

134 is a Football Lge record.  52 wasn't a record but no-one has bettered it since.

We played in our away kit which was the FAC custom.  The home team changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Getting elected to the League was no mean feat back then. Stellings Pools would have been long gonners had the system been fair.

It was just an old boys club back in those days. Think even Oldham & Millwall survived the "re-election" process before the system changed to automatic.

Did anyone notice we got a mentioned yesterday as the last top flight team Newport beat in the FA Cup. 

Newport County 3-2 Sheffield Wednesday 

Third Round: Saturday January 4th 1964

Attendance: 8,928          

Scorers: {County} Joe Bonson {2}, Ralph Hunt: {Wednesday} Eddie Holliday, Alan Finney   

Ranked at the time: 22 

County: 1:Len Weare, 2:Johnny Bird, 3:George Walters, 4:John Rowland, 5:Graham Rathbone, 6:Len Hill, 7:Colin Webster, 8:Laurie Sheffield, 9:Joe Bonson, 10:Ralph Hunt, 11:Granville Smith. Manager:Billy Lucas

Wednesday: 1:Roy MacLaren, 2:Brian Hill, 3:Don Megson, 4:Tom McAnearney, 5:Peter Swan, 6:Gerry Young, 7:Alan Finney, 8:Colin Dobson, 9:David 'Bronco' Layne, 10:Mark Pearson, 11:Eddie Holliday. Manager:Vic Buckingham

3 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

1008863773_ScannedDocument90.thumb.jpg.f63e7d70c24099900a22726922dc00be.jpg

No slip-ups for #swfc against non-league opposition way back in January 1960. Wednesday beat @theposhofficial 2-0 in front of 
51,114  at Hillsborough on the way to the Semi Final -  Goals Bobby Craig 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4vX9nQiUBY

I remember that. Huge crowd but was so foggy by the end you couldn’t tell who scored 

• Like 1

Well - we first enetered the FA Cup in 1880 as a non league team ourselves and didn't join a League until 1889 (the Alliance League) . The football league was founded in 1888 although the Wednesday wasn't alowed to join until 1892 - so yes we did lose to non league opposition.

I am sure that's not what you meant tho ;-)

Edited by dunsbyowl

2 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Fa Cup Round 2  17 December 1977   Wigan Athletic lost 0-1    

My God, that was an awful day. The ground (Springfield Park) was shocking; worse than a building site. We stood on the touch line covered terrace, one half of which was occupied by hundreds of Manure fans whose game had been called off and came along for the punch up. There were bricks flying everywhere and a fair amount of claret.

On the pitch we were terrible; totally outplayed. They scored from a free kick with not long left, Oscar had a goal disallowed right at the death and that was it. Deservedly beaten. And we were bottom of Division 3 to boot. Big Jack hadn’t (yet) begin to turn us round and we just seemed doomed.

Happy days!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Fa Cup Round 2  17 December 1977   Wigan Athletic lost 0-1    

That was probably the worst result in my 61 years following us. Only 15 years earlier I'd seen us beat Barcelona 3-2, and 9 years earlier I'd seen us beat European champions Man U 5-4.  

Just pleased I wasn't at Wigan.  They were elected into the league at the end of the season.   If someone had told me in 1977 that Wigan would win the cup 30 years or so later, I'd have thought they were mad.  

• Like 1