Jump to content


Recommended Posts

On 07/01/2019 at 16:23, flo said:

Loads of people go. 

Of course they do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Glad you don’t have a say in the worlds most famous club cup , I don’t agree with you , have you forgot about the non league clubs who get a massive pay out and probably the only chance to play at a bigger club ,a cup games hold  some of my most outstanding  memories long may it continue . 

 

I’m not saying scrap the FA cup. 

 

If the only reason to keep replays is so some non league club gets a bit of money then that’s a poor argument to keep them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, torres said:

 

I’m not saying scrap the FA cup. 

 

If the only reason to keep replays is so some non league club gets a bit of money then that’s a poor argument to keep them 

Think you miss the beauty of the cup 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Think you miss the beauty of the cup 

 

The beauty being most teams playing weakened teams?

 

The beauty being more than half empty grounds? 

 

Its in danger of just being an event so it’s a day out for small teams - it really should be more than that 

 

It is played after the most stupidly hectic period of football in our calendar and that needs changing too I think. 

 

If we stick with this nostalgic Rose tinted look at it, then it’s only going one way. 

 

There was an outcry when Woolworths went boobs up, same with HMV. But they were behind the times. 

 

FA cup needs to move with the times or face the same fate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, torres said:

 

The beauty being most teams playing weakened teams?

 

The beauty being more than half empty grounds? 

 

Its in danger of just being an event so it’s a day out for small teams - it really should be more than that 

 

It is played after the most stupidly hectic period of football in our calendar and that needs changing too I think. 

 

If we stick with this nostalgic Rose tinted look at it, then it’s only going one way. 

 

There was an outcry when Woolworths went boobs up, same with HMV. But they were behind the times. 

 

FA cup needs to move with the times or face the same fate. 

I agree you have a point but it’s money that is belittling it , But you have to understand it’s not just about the money clubs , name me a better scenario than a giant killing by a unfancied team .I can assure you there are big turn outs that just wouldn’t happen in league football beats  those boring play for draws in the league don’t you think ? . The FA cup must continue and it will 

Edited by dewsburyowl58
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

I agree you have a point but it’s money that is belittling it , But you have to understand it’s not just about the money clubs , name me a better scenario than a giant killing by a unfancied team .I can assure you there are big turn outs that just wouldn’t happen in league football beats  those boring play for draws in the league don’t you think ? . The FA cup must continue and it will 

 

A good cup competition is always a healthy thing for any country’s football.

 

Ours is still held in higher regard than most throughout the world BUT it needs to not rest on its laurels. 

 

The boring draws you mention in league football shouldn’t be anywhere near a cup competition but they are in the FA cup! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy to fix the Cup and make it competitive just say Winners get one of the Euro spots, make it Champions league if possible. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cup suffered with the formation of the Prem and the subsequent TV money that it brought.

Its hard to compete with that kind of incentive,but unless the FA can find a way then the old competition will fade,its only us old uns that put any kind of value on the competition these days.

Unless it gets a massive cash injection,with a highly prized Champions league spot thrown in,then it will continue to devalue,sadly.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

The cup suffered with the formation of the Prem and the subsequent TV money that it brought.

Its hard to compete with that kind of incentive,but unless the FA can find a way then the old competition will fade,its only us old uns that put any kind of value on the competition these days.

Unless it gets a massive cash injection,with a highly prized Champions league spot thrown in,then it will continue to devalue,sadly.

I think your underestimating how people value the FA cup. How do old uns put more value on the competition when winning it is a dream for every football fan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flo said:

I think your underestimating how people value the FA cup. How do old uns put more value on the competition when winning it is a dream for every football fan?

Well its not is it otherwise the grounds would sell out

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree the winners should get a champions league spot. It's bad enough non-champions qualify. Anyway, the rewards aren't as great as you might think, and I'm not sure that a team not good enough to qualify via the league route would actually benefit from the distraction of it the next season. Ok, maybe the teams finishing 5th or 6th might, but for me the very top teams aren't the problem - it's the lower teams who prioritise their league position above all else that are the issue. My solution would be to move the later rounds - at least from the QFs onwards - to the end of the season.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sova said:

I disagree the winners should get a champions league spot. It's bad enough non-champions qualify. Anyway, the rewards aren't as great as you might think, and I'm not sure that a team not good enough to qualify via the league route would actually benefit from the distraction of it the next season. Ok, maybe the teams finishing 5th or 6th might, but for me the very top teams aren't the problem - it's the lower teams who prioritise their league position above all else that are the issue. My solution would be to move the later rounds - at least from the QFs onwards - to the end of the season.

 

champions league devalued the day it admitted the also rans,but its only the forerunner for a euro wide permenat league anyhow.

I agree 3rd and 4th shouldnt enter a champions trophy,but if theyve won the cup,at least theyre champions of something unlike the rest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the reason fans in this thread devalue the FA cup is we are not very good at it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, flo said:

Maybe the reason fans in this thread devalue the FA cup is we are not very good at it. 

If the rewards were higher,EVERYONE would try to win it.

If you can earn 150M from simply staying 17th in the prem each season,which competition are you going to save your BEST players for?

Fans want to watch the best players,its natural,who wants to watch their side play Torquay United at home on a cold january afternoon,not many takers these days,but rollback 50 years and the tickets would be sold out long before saturday came around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of the Luton replay, looks like Stoke interested in their manager. 

 

Should work in our favour if done by the weekend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flo said:

Maybe the reason fans in this thread devalue the FA cup is we are not very good at it. 

 

I wouldn't mind betting that Wednesday fans above 35 still value the FA Cup and are sorry that many clubs dont take it seriously anymore.

While fans below 35 see it as a second rate competition and would rather get to Premier League then win the FA Cup.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

 

I wouldn't mind betting that Wednesday fans above 35 still value the FA Cup and are sorry that many clubs dont take it seriously anymore.

While fans below 35 see it as a second rate competition and would rather get to Premier League then win the FA Cup.

 

 

 

*Clubs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, torres said:

 

*Clubs

 

Yes I agree.

One of the saddest things about modern football is the way the cup has been devalued.

I remember seeing a documentary recently about Bill Shankley at Liverpool and even though they had won the league Everton fans used to taught Liverpool that it they were not a big club until they had won the cup (Which they did beating Leeds in 1965). You would never get that now.
Love reading also about the Matthews Cup Final in 1953. Real legendary game.
Feel sad its a 2nd rate competition now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

 

Yes I agree.

One of the saddest things about modern football is the way the cup has been devalued.

I remember seeing a documentary recently about Bill Shankley at Liverpool and even though they had won the league Everton fans used to taught Liverpool that it they were not a big club until they had won the cup (Which they did beating Leeds in 1965). You would never get that now.
Love reading also about the Matthews Cup Final in 1953. Real legendary game.
Feel sad its a 2nd rate competition now. 

 

I'm old enough to remember when the FA cup was special  - the Coventry Spurs one was the first one i took notice of. 

 

The big thing that has changed is the amount of football on TV. There used to be next to nothing on - the cup final (semi finals later on) used to be pretty much the only games people saw.

 

Now there are games every single day of the season - World wide!!

 

Do we care about seeing Wolves Reserves v Liverpool Reserves on a monday night?? 

 

The FA cup needs to move with the times 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when Cup Final day was a real big occasion even for non-football fans and it didn't matter who was in it. TV coverage started in the morning and there was a massive build up.

 

Didn't they once have full premier league fixture on Cup Final day?

 

It is just not the same as it was.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×