FA Cup replays

I pity you young'uns who never saw the cup at its finest.

As a Division 3 team I saw Wednesday take Arsenal to 4 replays - 3 on a neutral ground (Filbert St) and I saw us beat Division 1 Crystal Palace in a second replay at Villa Park, coming from behind twice to win in extra time with a Brian Joicey hat trick.

No team ever put out a weakened side, they were the most important games of the season. The FA Cup Final was on from about 10.00 in the morning and kicked off at 3 o' clock and was fantastic.

I posted the other day and I'm being honest, I cannot remember who won the cup last year. As i said, I feel sorry for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

Let them keep their broadcasting to themselves.  Look what happens when the Broadcaster take over - Wed - Utd derby now on a Monday Evening. Stuff TV  Convenience should be given to those that want to attend the match, with broadcasting by TV being done live at the proper time. And for anyone who says they can't attend, use the club website to keep up to date, or purchase ifollow!

I am one who would much prefer to go, but ave had to get used to following my team this way, and fthere is no way I can agree to the Sheffield derby game on a Monday night:mad::mad::mad:

From what we've heard the last few days, we'd have been playing United midweek anyway.....TV or not........

15 minutes ago, torres said:

If it's so important  - why does hardly anyone go?

Was a few poor attendances like 9,000 at lane but also some high one's. 

Man U 73,000

Man City 53,000

West Ham 50,000

Chelsea 40,000

Newcastle 36,000

Villa 30,000 

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

I think us and the Blackburn game will be picked - lower division side at home, good chance of a 'shock'.

Luton knocking us out wouldn’t really be classed as a shock. A team 2nd in League 1 against a team 16th in the championship. They’ll probably go into the game as slight favourites with the bookies.

I’d be surprised if our game is televised 

2 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Was a few poor attendances like 9,000 at lane but also some high one's. 

Man U 73,000

Man City 53,000

West Ham 50,000

Chelsea 40,000

Newcastle 36,000

Villa 30,000 

Villa's was outstanding 

13 minutes ago, torres said:

I'm 39

You must be about 103  - you have no logic  - just being totally nostalgic 

Close.

Yeah as a young'un the cup has mainly been sh ite since you were old enough to be bothered.

Edited by BIG D

44 minutes ago, torres said:

I'm 39

You must be about 103  - you have no logic  - just being totally nostalgic 

Nowt wrong about bein nostalgic for a time when footballers were made of sterner stuff, more in common with the supporters, stayed loyal to the club for longer and put in the effort week after week. Those players wanted to play in the cup competitions as they all would have loved to play in a cup final at Wemberlee. It was the pinnacle of many players' careers. 

It was the managers with bigger fish to fry,  sorry, more money to be made from champions and other runners up league . and other European matches. Started IIRC by ferguson and wenger  and perpetuated by foreign coaches who didn't realise, or who didn't want to realise how much passion the players and fans had for the cup.

Most of the foreign imported players have no interest until it gets to the quarter finals when they might stand a chance of winning a medal at the expense of the reserve team that got them that far.

And while I'm being nostalgic and sentimental,, let's bring back the Central League so that our second string and returning from injury players get more competitive games. These days it is too much of a step up from the U23's to first team imo.

UTO

FFS

Edited by cognacbarnowl
Eh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 3

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, torres said:

If it's so important  - why does hardly anyone go?

I'll ask you a rhetorical question. If Wednesday were drawn at home against Man City in the next round do you really believe that hardly anyone would go to that match? It's been the same for a good few years, the quality of the opposition will determine the size of the crowd. Even more so now because of the cost of going to matches. People will save their money for league games. Do you think we would have only got 15k if we had been playing City last Saturday

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I would hate to see replays scrapped altogether but maybe in first game scores are level after 90mins they could play extra time before a replay.

Yeah should be extra time in first game still level it goes to a replay where if it drawn again after 90 it goes to penalties.

Best of both worlds that I think.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleG said:

I'll ask you a rhetorical question. If Wednesday were drawn at home against Man City in the next round do you really believe that hardly anyone would go to that match? It's been the same for a good few years, the quality of the opposition will determine the size of the crowd. Even more so now because of the cost of going to matches. People will save their money for league games. Do you think we would have only got 15k if we had been playing City last Saturday

So what you are saying is - the competition itself doesn't really matter, people will turn up just to see famous players. 

And the league is more important.

Slightly off topic, but the thing that winds me up about the FA cup , is when broadcasters insist on choosing all premier league ties for live coverage in the earlier rounds.  You see these games week in ,week out . The live cup games should always be clubs in different divisions playing each other. Yes , they do show some of these live, but ALL the live games should be different division ties, not bloody all premier league ties. 

Edited by S36 OWL

Guest LittleG
1 minute ago, torres said:

So what you are saying is - the competition itself doesn't really matter, people will turn up just to see famous players. 

And the league is more important.

If  you really dont grasp the concept that a game against Man City will attract more fans than a game against Luton, then there is no point in going on with this discussion.  The same situation occurs in many league matches where there are higher attendances because of the quality of the opposition. What does that tell you?

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

If  you really dont grasp the concept that a game against Man City will attract more fans than a game against Luton, then there is no point in going on with this discussion.  The same situation occurs in many league matches where there are higher attendances because of the quality of the opposition. What does that tell you?

We have lots of people who care more about the opposition than watching Wednesday?

Guest LittleG
1 minute ago, torres said:

We have lots of people who care more about the opposition than watching Wednesday?

I wasn't just talking about Wednesday, I was talking about football fans in general.