Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
shandypants

Sheffield Wednesday fans and Sheffield United fans ought to stand together...

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Everyone agrees to turn up fifteen minutes late. Kick off gets delayed. Simple.  

 

Knowing the refs we get?   Not a chance - and it's the ref's choice to delay kickoff if it's not a security issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Salmonbones said:

 

Knowing the refs we get?   Not a chance - and it's the ref's choice to delay kickoff if it's not a security issue.

 

Would still get noticed if the ground is half empty. 

 

Sky can pipe in noise but they can’t pipe in fake fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all boils down to money and money talks.

 

If the government hadn’t cut Police budgets and numbers I’m sure it could remain on a Friday night or a Saturday.

 

The issue is that if a large percentage of officers have their shifts swapped to work the match and then be kept on to cover the city centre where there are inevitable issues after a Sheffield Derby plus the usual Friday/Saturday night economy, then it has a huge impact on day to day Policing as the officers working the football aren’t then available for the next day. 

 

A Monday night game means that the least possible number of officers can be used, thus ensuring the rest of Sheffield can be policed as fully as possible in the 24 hours after the match.

 

In my opinion it’s just simple facts. I’m sure it’s not SYP being ‘awkward’. It’s all about teeming and ladelling a limited number of officers to cover Sheffield and to ensure the tax payer gets as much value out of the police as possible. 

 

Im sure if SYP said the game could go

ahead on a Friday or Saturday utilising a large percentage of officers in Sheffield, and people were victims of crime in the 24 hours following the game and there was a lack

of police response, then they would be criticised. No win scenario for SYP in my opinion.

 

Less officers, less money, less policing coverage. Simple as that.

  • Agree 5
  • Disagree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applaud prudent use of tax payers money.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Protest against who though? Football sold it's soul many years ago, clubs have the option to not accept skys money but they never will (unless someone bids higher). Daft kick off times are the price we all pay for the over-inflated wages everywhere in football.

 

Same with the police it's a money thing, if the clubs offered to contribute more they'd probably be happy to let us play on Christmas Day if we wanted to, if we don't they'll continue to make life difficult. 

 

Best thing we can do is get promoted and never see them again.

 

 

Edited by BFR
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tudders said:

 

 

If the government hadn’t cut Police budgets and numbers I’m sure it could remain on a Friday night or a Saturday.

 

This part give me most concern, as it's not really appropriate.

 

Who pays?  Is it correct to ask?  Maybe - but does someone still pay?  Definitely!

 

Who pays, Tudders?   It's me and you, via our season tickets and pay on the gate.    In other words, it's paid for by the club (in the main)  and what isn't paid through by the club and fans directly, is paid via our taxes which are the portion that are complained about by joe public who don't like football. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great OP and also some very good points made regarding petitioning MP’s etc. Surely messers Caborn, Betts, Blunkett etc will have something to say about it?

 

lots of talk this week about fans being ripped off with credit charges for season tickets, maybe Saturday KO’s could also be put on the agenda. Fans charter kind of thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bing Cosby said:

We could all block Derek Dooley Way at 5pm on a Friday.

 

 

Well I thought it was funny lol

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

 

This part give me most concern, as it's not really appropriate.

 

Who pays?  Is it correct to ask?  Maybe - but does someone still pay?  Definitely!

 

Who pays, Tudders?   It's me and you, via our season tickets and pay on the gate.    In other words, it's paid for by the club (in the main)  and what isn't paid through by the club and fans directly, is paid via our taxes which are the portion that are complained about by joe public who don't like football. 

 

 

 

 

From the BBC article:

 

"A BBC investigation showed that last year's fixture between Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United at Hillsborough was the most expensive policing operation for a match in England, costing £203,000. The home club was billed £41,000 by the police."

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46760669

 

It's not paid for by the clubs in the main, if it was the police would be very keen to play it whenever overtime was highest. :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Government won't contribute; The council won't/can't contribute. The next best available Cash Cow for SYP is The Owls. How can our Derby possibly be more expensive to Police than Spurs/Arsenal Liverpool/Everton or Sunderland/Newcastle. SYP RYB Robs You Blind !  

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

 

This part give me most concern, as it's not really appropriate.

 

Who pays?  Is it correct to ask?  Maybe - but does someone still pay?  Definitely!

 

Who pays, Tudders?   It's me and you, via our season tickets and pay on the gate.    In other words, it's paid for by the club (in the main)  and what isn't paid through by the club and fans directly, is paid via our taxes which are the portion that are complained about by joe public who don't like football. 

 

 

I agree with what you’re saying.

 

If there were more officers ie if the government hadn’t cut Police numbers and budgets, then there would be more officers to cover Sheffield, thus meaning that there would be enough officers to work the match, and the aftermath in town and the general

Policing the following day. That way Steel city football fans would get the game Policed and Joe Public would get the policing resilience in the hours after the Derby policing has finished. Everyone would be happy.

 

As it is now, even if the club said that they would happily fund

every officer SYP could muster and

deemed required for a Steel

City Derby, it would leave the force even shorter than usual the next day.

Playing it on a Monday make sense from a Policing perspective, i think it affects it from an atmospheric perspective as Friday and Saturday matches seem

to have more of a buzz about them as the majority of fans don’t have to work the next day etc

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The Government won't contribute; The council won't/can't contribute. The next best available Cash Cow for SYP is The Owls. How can our Derby possibly be more expensive to Police than Spurs/Arsenal Liverpool/Everton or Sunderland/Newcastle. SYP RYB Robs You Blind !  

If that was the case, and SYP made a profit from policing the Derby, wouldn’t SYP want it kept on a Friday or Saturday to ensure more officers were required to make more ‘profit’? Can’t see that being the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only standing near them if they have a wash, for once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I can really see that.................

"Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United fans came together today in Barkers pool to protest about "Kick off" times in the Steel city derby................

 

There were 275 arrests and 3 police horses injured in what was quite a cordlal event.....

 

The match is now being played every f.ookin' leap year at 6 am on a Tuesday morning

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tudders said:

It all boils down to money and money talks.

 

If the government hadn’t cut Police budgets and numbers I’m sure it could remain on a Friday night or a Saturday.

 

The issue is that if a large percentage of officers have their shifts swapped to work the match and then be kept on to cover the city centre where there are inevitable issues after a Sheffield Derby plus the usual Friday/Saturday night economy, then it has a huge impact on day to day Policing as the officers working the football aren’t then available for the next day. 

 

A Monday night game means that the least possible number of officers can be used, thus ensuring the rest of Sheffield can be policed as fully as possible in the 24 hours after the match.

 

In my opinion it’s just simple facts. I’m sure it’s not SYP being ‘awkward’. It’s all about teeming and ladelling a limited number of officers to cover Sheffield and to ensure the tax payer gets as much value out of the police as possible. 

 

Im sure if SYP said the game could go

ahead on a Friday or Saturday utilising a large percentage of officers in Sheffield, and people were victims of crime in the 24 hours following the game and there was a lack

of police response, then they would be criticised. No win scenario for SYP in my opinion.

 

Less officers, less money, less policing coverage. Simple as that.

Dont these factors apply in Liverpool / Manchester / Glasgow / Birmingham then?

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tudders said:

It all boils down to money and money talks.

 

If the government hadn’t cut Police budgets and numbers I’m sure it could remain on a Friday night or a Saturday.

 

The issue is that if a large percentage of officers have their shifts swapped to work the match and then be kept on to cover the city centre where there are inevitable issues after a Sheffield Derby plus the usual Friday/Saturday night economy, then it has a huge impact on day to day Policing as the officers working the football aren’t then available for the next day. 

 

A Monday night game means that the least possible number of officers can be used, thus ensuring the rest of Sheffield can be policed as fully as possible in the 24 hours after the match.

 

In my opinion it’s just simple facts. I’m sure it’s not SYP being ‘awkward’. It’s all about teeming and ladelling a limited number of officers to cover Sheffield and to ensure the tax payer gets as much value out of the police as possible. 

 

Im sure if SYP said the game could go

ahead on a Friday or Saturday utilising a large percentage of officers in Sheffield, and people were victims of crime in the 24 hours following the game and there was a lack

of police response, then they would be criticised. No win scenario for SYP in my opinion.

 

Less officers, less money, less policing coverage. Simple as that.

 

 

  Syp is the most awful key stone cop governed laughing stock in England . They make it the most expensive by their own inability to do anything right as there is no way a sheffield derby is worse than a Glasgow , Liverpool, Manchester ot london one . Joe public don't get the police they deserve on any day let alone match day . If central government gave them a billion pound budget they'd still segregate our fans to ludicrous levels not do anything remotely like a well organised force and p@$$ and whine about how they need two billion . 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Bruce being our manager and his connections at the stain it was a no brainer for sky to televise the match. Only question was when. SYP weren't going to say no and probably couldn't believe their luck. Wouldn't surprise me if the SYP comment hasn't under gone a bit of manipulation and what was originally "it makes it easier to police on a Monday night became we want it to be on a Monday night from now on" because that's what sells papers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BFR said:

 

 

From the BBC article:

 

"A BBC investigation showed that last year's fixture between Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United at Hillsborough was the most expensive policing operation for a match in England, costing £203,000. The home club was billed £41,000 by the police."

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46760669

 

It's not paid for by the clubs in the main, if it was the police would be very keen to play it whenever overtime was highest. :biggrin:

 

The cost for policing that match should be scrutinised.

 

Why was it so high?   Were the wages really worth it, or was it PPPlanning by SYP?

 

I remember talking to plod that day from 5 different constabularies, and each one was shocked they were drafted in as they didn't usually.    One copper from Durham openly told me that SYP wanted backup from other forces but he declined to tell me why.

 

I often do offsite IT support for companies, and if I charged 50% more than was required, i'm sure it would be challenged - however if SYP bring in 50-75% more resources than is required, it's down to the club and not SYP?   Do me a favour.

 

SYP are not fit to police.    Not unless you are a pedo non British person of course and then you can fill your boots with under age British children.

 

 

Edited by Salmonbones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sibon said:

A bit of anti sky chanting at the derby might help.

If anyone can be arsed to do so on a Monday night.

 

Big banners at both ends of the ground saying 

"Sky are *****"

 

Should do it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...