Sheffield Wednesday fans and Sheffield United fans ought to stand together...

On 5 January 2019 at 20:05, flo said:

We could fight more on the midweek games so they ban mid week derbies. 

Am I Rite?

Or behave like grown ups and don't point at the opposites when there's a big line of police between you, and be all roughy toughy and then it wouldn't come to this.

Am I Rite?

On 5 January 2019 at 21:04, Salmonbones said:

This part give me most concern, as it's not really appropriate.

Who pays?  Is it correct to ask?  Maybe - but does someone still pay?  Definitely!

Who pays, Tudders?   It's me and you, via our season tickets and pay on the gate.    In other words, it's paid for by the club (in the main)  and what isn't paid through by the club and fans directly, is paid via our taxes which are the portion that are complained about by joe public who don't like football. 

It really isn't paid for in the main by the club. It's paid for mainly by the taxpayers=police budget. They don't get given more money because United and Wednesday are in the same league. The reality is very little of the Derby day policing is paid for in overtime. Leave is cancelled a long time before. However because of the risk attached, and some on here relish the thought of fighting (more serious pointing really), there has to be a large police presence to prevent/deal with it. The knock on effect is to the detriment of policing the rest of the city and none football people going about their business. 

The Manchester thing is different because they have dealt with a lot of risk via other options open to them, meaning these people can't go to the matches anyway to cause trouble.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:13, matthefish2002 said:

To me police should just the job they get well paid for.

If it is the Police that have said this, then maybe they are having to cut their cloth accordingly due to cuts in Public services leaving them with not enough money to do their job?.

On 05/01/2019 at 19:58, shandypants said:

... to create a single voice for Steel City derbies to be held only on Saturdays. 

My guess is that this topic would be one of the rare few we’d all agree upon. 

Why is it that we want them on Saturdays?

58 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Why is it that we want them on Saturdays?

Good question.

Don’t you prefer to watch your football at 3pm on Saturdays - I do. 

Also, holding the matches at the traditional time allows most people to attend - although I would accept the fact that it won’t allow everyone to attend. 

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Good question.

Don’t you prefer to watch your football at 3pm on Saturdays - I do. 

Also, holding the matches at the traditional time allows most people to attend - although I would accept the fact that it won’t allow everyone to attend. 

Maybe - can’t say I’m overly bothered and it’s not like every game is being rearranged it’s just the derby games.

i also think big night matches generally have a better atmosphere than day games.

either way I’m not really getting what the problem is.

Absolutely pathetic from SYP if they can't shepherd just over 2000 fans with a minority looking for a bit of aggro away from a footy ground are they really fit for purpose, people who want to get drunk before a game will do no matter what day its played on.

SKY have no concern for fans, football, history, tradition etc TV rights money is their only concern, they'd stage matches on the moon if it was lucrative (the atmosphere wouldn't be great) :tango:

Edited by toppOwl

3 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Maybe - can’t say I’m overly bothered and it’s not like every game is being rearranged it’s just the derby games.

i also think big night matches generally have a better atmosphere than day games.

either way I’m not really getting what the problem is.

The problem is these are big games and people who don't live locally might travel especially for them, perfectly viable on a weekend but not a Monday night.

43 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

The problem is these are big games and people who don't live locally might travel especially for them, perfectly viable on a weekend but not a Monday night.

Maybe I suppose.

Still don't think it's that big an issue.