Van aaken off

5 hours ago, mcmigo said:

The worst signing in our history and we have had some bad ones.

From his debut I could not believe what I was seeing from a professional centre back. The absolute basics of footwork that any centre back from probably 10th  tier football in this country would have were missing completely. Bullen must have been absolutely astonished when JVA turned up on the training pitch, you just would not know where to start and I am amazed Carlos played him as many times as he did despite extremely serious technical flaws that anyone could see, including the opposition. 

i wish the kid well but I think the only footballing future for him would be somewhere like China, Middle East or the states. 

No that was Rhodes, JVA second worst

He joined us part-way through a farce of season, after some initial promise he struggled. 

He has undoubted ability and I do think he could excel in a back 3. At his age the most worrying thing about him for me is his injury record, he is simply not been available enough.

I'm disappointed but not too surprised at our fans' glee at this possible move, if he's being shipped out before Bruce even gets to see him it suggests DC is desperately trying to free up funds somewhere for Bruce.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Personally, would like to see him play under a capable manager, in a well managed team before I make a judgement.

I hear what your saying as we haven't seen much of him, though what we have seen hasn't been very encouraging. Having said that i remember laughing at how poor Harry Maguire looked whenever i saw him and mentioned how he had a bigger turning circle than the QE2. He turned out not too shabby

38 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

He joined us part-way through a farce of season, after some initial promise he struggled. 

He has undoubted ability and I do think he could excel in a back 3. At his age the most worrying thing about him for me is his injury record, he is simply not been available enough.

I'm disappointed but not too surprised at our fans' glee at this possible move, if he's being shipped out before Bruce even gets to see him it suggests DC is desperately trying to free up funds somewhere for Bruce.

All of this

1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

There’s no point in having a defender who can’t defend, and defending is something Joost Van Aken is dreadful at.

He’s way too soft for the Championship and the odd “Hollywood ball” doesn’t disguise this, Steve Bruce would have seen through him in 5 minutes.

Shame the lad couldn’t do the basics, being half decent at defending with his undoubted ability on the ball would have made him a more than useful player, unfortunately that wasn’t the case and he definitely isn’t a Steve Bruce centre back 

24 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

There’s no point in having a defender who can’t defend, and defending is something Joost Van Aken is dreadful at.

He’s way too soft for the Championship and the odd “Hollywood ball” doesn’t disguise this, Steve Bruce would have seen through him in 5 minutes.

'Can't defend' is a little simplistic.

The bloke came into a struggling team from a different country, it was always going to take the guy some time to get up to speed and unfortunately his own injuries has meant he hasn't had that opportunity. It also didn't help that he was often partnered with an underperforming Tom Lees who was missing Loovens' guidance massively. 

Comparing him and Joey is interesting, both struggled with the pace of the league at the start, one has been injured for a year and the other has been given a big opportunity in the side. Joey is now up to speed but doesn't seem to be up to quite up to it, Van Aken's been nowhere near the team. 

What is undeniable is that in Hector we've found someone who is has all his attributes plus more and annoyingly Chelsea bought him for a similar price that we got Van Aken for. 

Bruce has a habit of playing a back three which opens the door for a Hector/Hutch/Van Aken to play that role, we have Hector in there now playing well but he's not going to be with us forever unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, full fathom five said:

I hear what your saying as we haven't seen much of him, though what we have seen hasn't been very encouraging. Having said that i remember laughing at how poor Harry Maguire looked whenever i saw him and mentioned how he had a bigger turning circle than the QE2. He turned out not too shabby

Exactly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BRADDO said:

We paid a large fee for this guy and played him. Car crash defender. We loaned a far superior player in Venancio and didn't play him. Venancio was available to buy for 800k but due to embargo we couldn't do it.. typical wednesday. 

It's all part of DC's "Trumpesque" 4-dimensional chess masterplan, we just aren't smart enough to work it out..... lol

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Any idea if this is a loan or a permanent transfer? 

10 hours ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Where exactly is he off to?

FFS lads, “from Aachen becomes after Clement and then Thy third again”, can’t you read?

lol

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, full fathom five said:

Maguire had reaction speed, this chap has absolutely none. If you look at Sunderland game he played this season for instance. One of their players cam steaming in from a long way out, I could have got out of way and I am over 50, he was rooted to spot and took full force of tackle. I am amazed he was not even more seriously injured. If you do not have ability for self preservation their is not much hope with rest of game. he could hit a nice pass but if you are a centre back it is no use if you can not tackle and can not gauge headers correctly. He was absolutely hopeless as a defender and he unsettled other players around him.

I saw him play at Heerenveen many times and he looked decent but Championship football is totally different and throwing him into the team straight away was not the best decision. The game here is far more physical and with the exception of one or two teams in the Eredivisie the rest are nowhere near top flight teams and would probably struggle against most Championship sides. JvA made mistakes no doubt about that, but there was the occasional glimpse of hope. Unfortunately the signing looks to have cost both us and him. Us being out of pocket and JvA having no games and no confidence. 

I think later today or tomorrow there could be a good chance of an official statement confirming his move. I have a fairly decent understanding of the Dutch language! I wish him all the best, he is still young and will hopefully do well somewhere.