Van aaken off

4 hours ago, owls_wawaw said:

I would have liked to see him in front of the back four as his passing ability was good or as left back as well...thought all players had a clean slate???

Not mobile enough or aggressive enough to play CDM. Also, good distribution as a CB when the opposition is retreating into shape  Would look average compared to other midfielders when needing to react quicker. 

Not mobile enough our good enough carrying the ball to play LB

Better to cut our losses, take a fee and get him off the wage bill. Probably have enough cover that we don’t need to replace him so money in the bank. 

Just now, sw1867 said:

Have a look at the MOM thread. Not just me that judges a player on today’s performance and not their preconceived opinions.

Im not claiming he is a world beater, just giving credit when it’s due.

The soft hearted are just being over praise worthy. It’s commendable in some ways but it’s just not the reality on his performances. 

There were calls for him to be player of the month on here which were absurd. 

He shouldn’t receive abuse of course he shouldn’t but this over praise for the most basic of performances is getting daft 

1 minute ago, sw1867 said:

What harm could it do to give praise when he has upped his game. It may be over the top (isn’t in my opinion) but conversely the level of criticism he receives on recent performances is by far further away from reality.

Some people need to justify their entrenched position just to prove they haven’t got something wrong.

To top it all, this is criticism of a man giving his all whilst wearing a Wednesday shirt.

I think you might see a realistic critic as criticism. 

I agree, slagging off for the sake of it is ridiculous but over praising on here is just as pointless. 

He was ok today in a terrible team performance. Let’s not make out like he’s suddenly Maldini. 

Just now, sw1867 said:

What harm could it do to give praise when he has upped his game. It may be over the top (isn’t in my opinion) but conversely the level of criticism he receives on recent performances is by far further away from reality.

Some people need to justify their entrenched position just to prove they haven’t got something wrong.

To top it all, this is criticism of a man giving his all whilst wearing a Wednesday shirt.

Agree with all your sentiments but with FFP / P&S hanging over us like the Sword of Damocles there’s no room for sentiment. From what we’ve seen so far Van Aken is behind Lees, Hector, Thorniley, Pudl (& Hutch IMO) as centre back. Therefore take a fee and get him off the wage bill. Its not personal 

5 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

See my bit earlier where I said ‘I’m not saying he’s a world beater’

I believe over criticism is worse than over praise. Criticism of fox to the level he has received has been over the top and COULD have a detrimental effect to performance and general feeling around the club.

All am saying is judge performance on their merits. He has upped his game since Jos left to a level where he is doing well. He’s moving in the right direction why not try and help him and get off his back.

Thats all I ever do 

5 hours ago, torres said:

Another one added to the “was Carlos on drugs when we signed him” list 

You must be on drugs if you think Carlos sourced him 

2 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I would sell of Fox first before van akken if i was advising Bruce

You’d sell our best left back and an ever improving player? Thank god you’re not advising Bruce

Oh and it’s ‘off’ not ‘of’ ffs 

Erm...not sure what to make of it really. 

The lad could play a bit, but his defending was bloody awful for the most part. 

Still - only 24 years old and we've seemingly given up on him. 

Oh, how I hope that Steve Bruce can get our recruitment sorted out. It's been pretty awful ever since that first play off season. 

So much money wasted 

7 minutes ago, David1867 said:

Care to tell me Van Aken's positives then mate?

It was there for all to see initially. Confidence flowed through him. Long raking passes, driving into midfield with the ball strong in the air and in tackles.. clearly someone stopped him being that player and as a youngster he could have taken a huge knock to his confidence 

Guest Bulgaria

Van aken was a wonderful signing, especially for some bloke who trousered a big fat wad of cash for doing the deal... A bit like the Lachman, urbi and Melo deals.... Absolutely baffling...

Edited by Bulgaria