Van aaken off

JVA is an example that people should wait until we have seen a player play a while before making them into superstar.

Sure I could trawl back through Owlstalk to the time he played his first couple of games and can guarantee some of the posts will not have aged well.

Every club gets transfers wrong but we have made much more then our fair share last couple of years.

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

JVA is an example that people should wait until we have seen a player play a while before making them into superstar.

Sure I could trawl back through Owlstalk to the time he played his first couple of games and can guarantee some of the posts will not have aged well.

Every club gets transfers wrong but we have made much more then our fair share last couple of years.

I think improving our track record in the market is a big reason Chansiri has appointed Bruce. He doesn’t seem to get a lot wrong in the transfer market?

Atkinson and Megson are the best market operators I’ve seen here.

8 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think improving our track record in the market is a big reason Chansiri has appointed Bruce. He doesn’t seem to get a lot wrong in the transfer market?

Atkinson and Megson are the best market operators I’ve seen here.

The way clubs are organised these days does the manager / head coach get that much say in transfers? Thought some of the players we brought in under Carlos were not his choices.

One of things that will be interesting going forward is will it be Bruce who will have the final say? I guess he will do as one of the conditions of him taking over. 

Edited by matthefish2002

39 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Agreed. He has decent attributes for that, and the odd mistake he makes would be less fatal than at centerback.

He's as soft as s**t, whether at centre half or holding midfield he simply doesn't have the physical attributes to play in the Championship.

He'd be less effective in that position than Joey Pelupessey, and that's saying something.

Best just to cut our losses and get rid if at all possible.

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

He's as soft as s**t, whether at centre half or holding midfield he simply doesn't have the physical attributes to play in the Championship.

He'd be less effective in that position than Joey Pelupessey, and that's saying something.

Best just to cut our losses and get rid if at all possible.

Cut our losses. We should get that kn our shirts and make it a club motto. We seem to have to do a lot of that

32 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Indeed - I recall the site owner making a rather outlandish claim about JVA's signing. 

15 hours ago, Quist said:

Just realised that he is supposed to be going to Zwolle where we got Pelupessy from. They are now managed by Jaap Stam.

I find it interesting we are dealing with same clubs over and over again. Also whenever we were linked with a player Reading were also linked with them and now ex Reading manager crops up there. It is clear Agents have a pool and recycle things between them.

Think Jos two helpers he got from Holland both had Zwolle connections. 

Bruce was linked with Al Ahly? in Middle East before us, who CC and Bruno Lage were at, and Lage was linked with Villa job before Dean Smith.

I think if you try hard enough you can connect clubs managers players and agents whoever it is and come up with a connection.

Could be wrong mind...

I would like to see him stay and be loaned out for some experience and hopefully get his confidence up.

i think he has the attributes to be decent but came to the club at a bad time.

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Try 200 apparently!!

I have negged you for this comment t'other day and thought your comment of worst signing in our history was a big exagerration .. but just had a look at his stats, 15 games in 2 years, a couple of assured performances, rest look proper ropey and .. well not sure i fully disagree with you anymore! Not sure on worst, but certainly right up there for outlay in ££££

Erm, have you heard of Almen Abdi? 

25 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Bruce was linked with Al Ahly? in Middle East before us, who CC and Bruno Lage were at, and Lage was linked with Villa job before Dean Smith.

I think if you try hard enough you can connect clubs managers players and agents whoever it is and come up with a connection.

Could be wrong mind...

Agree but we have an had a close association with a few clubs over last 3 years and they all have one thing in common.

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Try 200 apparently!!

I have negged you for this comment t'other day and thought your comment of worst signing in our history was a big exagerration .. but just had a look at his stats, 15 games in 2 years, a couple of assured performances, rest look proper ropey and .. well not sure i fully disagree with you anymore! Not sure on worst, but certainly right up there for outlay in ££££

Our whole team dynamic turned on the signing of JVA which is why I rate him as the worst.

Two great seasons ending in play off narrow losses.  A rock solid defence was behind those 2 seasons, but the majestic Loovens was one year too old and needed replacing.  It was a critical signing - you don't replace a player of the quality and leadership (remember Loovens has played against Ronaldo, Messi, the lot) of Loovens easily.  We somehow picked JVA for this critical position and it all went wrong from there.

Abdi was a poor signing but wasn't a critical position for us given the other quality players we had in his position when fit.  A waste of money - yes - but not critical.  Whereas the signing of JVA has left us all over the place.  We have gone from having an outstanding defence to pretty much the worst in the league this season. We have had to rely on youth teamers, resprayed full backs and loan players to play centre back.  Lees has been like a keystone cop for most of the last 18 months.

5 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Our whole team dynamic turned on the signing of JVA which is why I rate him as the worst.

Two great seasons ending in play off narrow losses.  A rock solid defence was behind those 2 seasons, but the majestic Loovens was one year too old and needed replacing.  It was a critical signing - you don't replace a player of the quality and leadership (remember Loovens has played against Ronaldo, Messi, the lot) of Loovens easily.  We somehow picked JVA for this critical position and it all went wrong from there.

Abdi was a poor signing but wasn't a critical position for us given the other quality players we had in his position when fit.  A waste of money - yes - but not critical.  Whereas the signing of JVA has left us all over the place.  We have gone from having an outstanding defence to pretty much the worst in the league this season. We have had to rely on youth teamers, resprayed full backs and loan players to play centre back.  Lees has been like a keystone cop for most of the last 18 months.

Even dafter when signed JVA and let Venacio go.