We are where we are and we are what we are at the moment.

Keeping a settled back four is helping us stem the flow of goals against us and I feel in the short term this is what we’ve got do. However the current first choice back four has a loanee centre-half and probably two of the worst full-backs in the division. So in the long term this has to be addressed.

The midfield is our biggest problem and is a big reason why we struggle both defensively and offensively at times. The balance is wrong and has been for a while. Hutchinson is our best defensive midfielder by a country mile but alas won’t play as often as we need him to. Bannan is as good as any midfielder in the championship on his day but I don’t think we get the best out of him consistently enough. Reach is hit and miss for me and if a decent offer comes in I would seriously consider it. I think Boyd will be a big player for Bruce having worked with him before. It’s been said before but we miss Lee badly, no one gets around the pitch for us as effectively as he does.

As for our strikers they are all capable of scoring goals but we don’t have an outstanding goalscorer. Hooper and Forrestieri are above average but Hooper suffers from fitness issues and Forrestieri is a combination of a midfielder/striker so finding a position to accommodate him sometimes effects the balance of the entire team. Joao could be an outstanding player for us but he needs a manager who will stick by him even when things aren’t going his way.

A lot of Issues for Bruce and his coaching team to tackle but I do think he stands as good a chance as anyone of sorting us out and making us a decent outfit again.

1 hour ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

F*ck Villa

This is one game and anyone judging the future on it is looking to be negative

Arnt you even slightly concerned about the performance today after the performances in the last four league games ? 

2 hours ago, David1867 said:

Pelupessy and Nuhiu simply aren't good enough. If we are serious about being contenders again these are 2 players that need replacing.

Its glaringly obvious and half of our fan base can’t see it through the blue and white spectacles, Nuhiu is the worst forward I have ever seen at hillsbrough, he makes Colin west look like Di Canio 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Its glaringly obvious and half of our fan base can’t see it through the blue and white spectacles, Nuhiu is the worst forward I have ever seen at hillsbrough, he makes Colin west look like Di Canio 

To be compared to Colin West..

:picnic:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Captain said:

It’s a big ask given the fixture pile-up.  I can’t understand why we haven’t made changes to the side.

For example, it was a bit daft to keep flogging the likes of Bannan, Reach, Hutchinson once again IMO.  Those 3 in particular have all played loads of minutes over the Xmas fixtures, and have looked tired in recent games.

So not exactly a great leap in logic to assume they could be vulnerable to injuries/fatigue if involved today.

We have a large squad for a midtable Championship club and a decent pack of U23s that have recently broke into the first team picture.  Given the recent fixture congestion, you involve some of your fringe players in games like today.

We dont have a large squad at all, or certainly a fit one. Remove these 3 from midfield and who else are you going to play?

20 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Can you elaborate? How did he look when he came on? 

Twice fell over when he lost the ball and berated the ref for not giving a foul. Childish.

Gave away a needless free kick from a scoring position.

Could be said he was played out of position (seemed to play wide left when he come on) and there was no great supply to a player who is an out and out centre forward.

Probably tried too hard, but looked way off the pace.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Twice fell over when he lost the ball and berated the ref for not giving a foul. Childish.

Gave away a needless free kick from a scoring position.

Could be said he was played out of position (seemed to play wide left when he come on) and there was no great supply to a player who is an out and out centre forward.

Probably tried too hard, but looked way off the pace.

Don’t think him, Nuhiu, or Fletcher are what’s needed. Hopefully Bruce will bring in a more mobile goal scorer 

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Don’t think him, Nuhiu, or Fletcher are what’s needed. Hopefully Bruce will bring in a more mobile goal scorer 

Absolutely. We looked toothless today. 

Read in another thread (about Rhodes) that some think we are well stocked in this area. Seeing as the most effective strikers we have are regularly out of action, we need to make changes. 

However, highly unlikely we can offload Fletcher or Nuhiu due to their wages.

To put it into context Luton unbeaten in last 15 league games incl 11 wins and 4 draws. They lacked quality up front but defended high, pressed all over the pitch and were well organised. They will also be promoted this season and will do ok in the championship next season. Hard game so personally have no complaints. We know where we are lacking and are desperate for some pace up front on both flanks and cutting edge in the box. We are where we are and need a revamp of the squad.

• Like 1