What has happened to Penney?

9 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Looked very good those first few games at Left back. Stopped cross after cross which full backs these days never seem to do. 

Then Jos decided to play him LWB, LW, CM and RW :wacko:

...and sometimes at the same time 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

And the circle turns again.

I hope that the fans do not fall into the "Let's buy success" ballcocks again, looking for a short cut and ignoring our own young players.

PLEASE no more 28 - 30 yr olds acting as bed blockers.

Jesus, it’s not a personal sabotage of our young players, people are just commenting on what they’ve seen 

If they’re not good enough, what can you do? 

Funny how opinions fluctuate. 

Was probably time to rest him and take stock, I think he has Reach like attributes which is why he was tried in midfield and his attacking play was his main strength so it’s odd it didn’t work.

I wonder if his future depends on a wing back formation 

Personally, I won't be writing off a kid who has played just 16 games in a struggling side in different positions during a very bad run in front of what was at best an apathetic crowd. 

There were few players playing well at the time he made his last start. 

He'll get an opportunity at some stage and I think he's got enough in the locker and the potential to take it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ReadingOwl said:

I think he’s a great prospect. Him and Thorniley.

Should be played and reintroduced to a confident winning side.

Penney has a great engine too - very athletic.

By your own admission you’ve not been to a single game in the Chansiri era.

How would you know what these players are like?

Got plenty of potential, but its also evident that theres parts of his game that still need to be worked on. 

He did well at wingback when he initially came in, but he did have the odd iffy game there too. On the initial performances he put out though, he defo justified a new contract offer and the club did well in getting him signed up. 

He was then moved and used in more attacking roles by Jos and it was then seen to all that hes not yet the complete package. He looked lost at times, even when playing his natuaral wide position. I dont buy the whole getting a new contract and believing his own hype thing. Its more likely that he was just not ready to play week in and week out for a team that was struggling and not playing through the midfield too well. The previous managers negative tactics and playstyle will also have contributed greatly.

Recon next season is the one for him to make his breakthrough and stake a claim. Best thing we can do now, is get him regular game time away from the club and the pressure so that he can polish up his game.

The switch from left back to left midfield really didn't help Penney whatsoever. 

He was playing well at left back, then Jos decided to change the system again.  And because he didn't excel further up the pitch, he was harshly dropped.  

I do think though, Penney needs to get his head down, work hard and when an opportunity arises again, then he needs to take it with both hands. 

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Funny how opinions fluctuate. 

Was probably time to rest him and take stock, I think he has Reach like attributes which is why he was tried in midfield and his attacking play was his main strength so it’s odd it didn’t work.

I wonder if his future depends on a wing back formation 

It will work long term, he destined to play in a more advanced position. If he looks after himself, get stronger and learns to think quicker then he's capable of becoming a very good player. Important time for the lad, i'm sure he's got good people around him giving him sound advice