What has happened to Penney?

A good prospect but way too many weaknesses to his game currently that a mazy run against Stoke or a dragback against Villa won’t mask

Played very well at left back was then moved into a position where he struggled. Young players do not need moving around or they lose form and it happened to Penney. The playing of Penney out of position what was lost Jos my support along with unnecessary changes. he was right to give young players a chance but they need a run of games not to chop and change every week, it defied logic of giving them a chance.

I have sympathy for the lad as all defence has improved since we have settled team. Hope he gets in team again at Left back with a proper settled side will do well I am certain. 

Do  not get me wrong I think Penny is a really good player for the future at the moment I think he could do with a loan spell somewhere in league 1 to get regular football he’s just not there yet I think Jos was manager he was trying to do that

putting too much pressure on the lad too soon

Serious question for those who regularly watch us - did he look far more comfortable at left back than left midfield?

I played both positions in amateur football and have to say I found left back a lot easier than left midfield.  I would imagine as a young inexperienced pro he would feel far more comfortable at left back. Additionally from what I have seen of Penney he’s obviously got attacking instincts and the ability to beat a player, which I think are qualities we are crying out for in our full backs.    I reckon he’ll feel far more vulnerable in left midfield and as we all know if things start to go wrong it’s difficult for young players to stay composed. 

Bruce worked wonders with young Robertson at Hull; hopefully he’ll see similar potential in Penney.

1 hour ago, Ash76 said:

A good prospect but way too many weaknesses to his game currently that a mazy run against Stoke or a dragback against Villa won’t mask

Exactly 

He never actually had a good 90 mins, just those 2 good moments of play and everyone went mad 

Got a LOT of development to do, to even be close to the first team. In the same boat as Baker IMO 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Serious question for those who regularly watch us - did he look far more comfortable at left back than left midfield?

I played both positions in amateur football and have to say I found left back a lot easier than left midfield.  I would imagine as a young inexperienced pro he would feel far more comfortable at left back. Additionally from what I have seen of Penney he’s obviously got attacking instincts and the ability to beat a player, which I think are qualities we are crying out for in our full backs.    I reckon he’ll feel far more vulnerable in left midfield and as we all know if things start to go wrong it’s difficult for young players to stay composed. 

Bruce worked wonders with young Robertson at Hull; hopefully he’ll see similar potential in Penney.

For me he looked better at full back. Play infront of him. Able to get forward and support.

But also, IMO, has been the best stopper of crosses on that flank this season at full back.

Still. Fox is in, done well and is now in on merit.

Just as it should be. Hopefully an end to the chopping and changing and the lads know if they do well they'll retain the shirt.

Penney will get another chance.