Who's opinion do we trust most, Stan Collymore or Peter Swan?

Collymore is a lunatic. I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt

The guy is a wife beater and offers zero input in football. Decent striker back in his day but that was about 25 years ago

The only opinions I value are of those who have played under Bruce, such as Clinton Morrison & Chris Kirkland 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

What do we really know about Steve Bruce?

Achieved great success as a player with Man Utd winning 3 Prem Leagues, 3 FA Cups, 1 League Cup and the Eu Cup Winners' Cup therefore a proven winner. 

Trusted to captain Norwich, England B, Man Utd & Birmingham therefore a capable leader.

Resigned at Pigs citing turmoil in the boardroom and a lack of funds. Quit Wigan for Palace, Palace for Birmingham. Birmingham for Wigan. Wigan for Sunderland. Quit Hull for Villa. Therefore questionable loyalty 

Sacked by Huddersfield, Sunderland & Villa. Therefore has struggled to turn round sinking ships. 

Promoted to Premier League with Birmingham (twice), Hull, (twice). Reached FA Cup final with Hull. Therefore capable of gaining promotion from the Championship. 

Pl. 886, W341 (38%) D219, L326. 

Therefore not exactly Guardiola, Ferguson or Shankly. However, probably the best available option given our current position. So, let’s forget opinion, anecdote and rumour. Let’s give the new manager 100% support and hope it’s the Birmingham / Hull Bruce that eventually turns up in Feb

didn't quit hull for villa

quit hull despite winning promotion to the premier league due to not being able to work with our owners

was out of work for 3 months before taking villa job

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Castleford Owl said:

Couldn't help reading that in Collymore's awful, whiny voice. How that bloke is still involved in the game, on a national platform, is beyond me. Horrible little woman-beating cretin.

Doesn't say much for society when the like of Collymore & Carragher get jobs on the public eye. There are enough pundits around , who really needs them ?

17 hours ago, hawksmore said:

I hope we scrape in to the play off's on the last day of the season, we play Derby in the semi's and smash them over both legs being the limp bottle boys they are, whilst Villa play the grunters in the other semi, who draw their last game of the season to drop out of the top 2. 

The pigs having bottled automatic, crumble against Villa, who are heavy favourites heading in to the final against us.

We smash the Villains harder than Collymore bounced Ulrika's head about and Bruce helicopter's his chombie from the side of the pitch to a crying collymore sat n the stands

Collymore can do one 

You have to read that in Danny Dyers voice after a busy lunchtime at the Queen Vic. 

21 hours ago, prowl said:

There are 2 ways the Steve Bruce appointment will end either he will get a better offer from another club at some stage in the future or he will pass his sell by date with us and the clamour for his sacking will eventually force him out.

Until that time I'm going to enjoy the ride and hope it takes us to the Premier League.

OR, ( in my own wonderfully utopian optimistic world anyway, ), he stays in charge for the next ten years, turning us into and attractive footballing top six team with regular European football and a few trophies to brighten up our trophy cabinet. Finally riding off happily into the sunset with Mr Chansiri and leaving us in the capable hands of the best new manager and chairman/owner IN THE WORLD. :goalie:

And don't come back and pi ss on my parade please lol 

not only Andy Robertson    (just flick through the names if ya don't wanna get bored, but these are the players he signed that worked and im sure you lot will see signings of this calibre as long as the ffp dosent hamper you too much)

Not many young up and coming apart from Robertson Maguire and Clucas Odubajo

Harry Maguire -             englands hero after being our hero but mainly after brucie left cos he always picked his son alex ahead of harry

Abel Hernandez -           blew hot and cold but knew where the net was at championship level

tom Huddlestone           fantastic signing for a tin pot club like ours

Michael Dawson           great signing

Mo Diame                     you lot wont remember him

shane long,                     good signing always gonna be too good to stay at little old hull

Jake Livermore -            again a great signing

Robert Snodgrass           one game then injured for 14 months but helped us get promoted and then west ham nicked him - another good signing eventually

Robbie brady                  who was a good buy for us and left for Norwich and is now at burnley

Ahmed Elmohamady       was one of our stars and best buys

Gaston Ramirez      never rreally worked out

Ben Arfa                      same as above

sone aluko                  who did ok with us then had a good season with Fulham before fading at reading

Stephen quinn            who was dependable and did ok at reading before again fading

David meyler          dependable no frills midfielder who was again ok

Moses Odubajo  loads of potential but was out with an injury  for yonks

Sam Clucas from chesterfield grew into a fine player for us

George Boyd a great signing who went on to play for 2 seasons in the prem for burnley and now with you lot but past his best.

Allan McGregor decent goalie player of the year one season

Curtis davies - good solid player who  was again a great buy

those 23 plusses were balanced with 23 poor signings but luckily for us  hardly any of those were expensive flops

we went up to the prem twice and got relegated once under brucie

so he was a massive plus for us yet still some idiots feel they can slag him off cos he couldn't keep us up.

apologies for boring  (to you lot) post but I couldn't help drooling looking at some of those players and thinking what we'd give to have a few of those in their prime again at hull

I didn't take too much notice of what was happening at villa but noticed even when their side was on a good run he was still taking loads of stick from their fans for not playing expansive flowing football

maybe because you've been out of the prem a lot longer than villa you might be willing to forgive him of this

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

OR, ( in my own wonderfully utopian optimistic world anyway, ), he stays in charge for the next ten years, turning us into and attractive footballing top six team with regular European football and a few trophies to brighten up our trophy cabinet. Finally riding off happily into the sunset with Mr Chansiri and leaving us in the capable hands of the best new manager and chairman/owner IN THE WORLD. :goalie:

And don't come back and pi ss on my parade please lol 

Nurse, Nurse, I think you've given him too many happy pills. He's gone all funny.

Seriously I hope you are right. It's about time we had a bit of success at Hillsborough

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, hullite said:

not only Andy Robertson    (just flick through the names if ya don't wanna get bored, but these are the players he signed that worked and im sure you lot will see signings of this calibre as long as the ffp dosent hamper you too much)

Not many young up and coming apart from Robertson Maguire and Clucas Odubajo

Harry Maguire -             englands hero after being our hero but mainly after brucie left cos he always picked his son alex ahead of harry

Abel Hernandez -           blew hot and cold but knew where the net was at championship level

tom Huddlestone           fantastic signing for a tin pot club like ours

Michael Dawson           great signing

Mo Diame                     you lot wont remember him

shane long,                     good signing always gonna be too good to stay at little old hull

Jake Livermore -            again a great signing

Robert Snodgrass           one game then injured for 14 months but helped us get promoted and then west ham nicked him - another good signing eventually

Robbie brady                  who was a good buy for us and left for Norwich and is now at burnley

Ahmed Elmohamady       was one of our stars and best buys

Gaston Ramirez      never rreally worked out

Ben Arfa                      same as above

sone aluko                  who did ok with us then had a good season with Fulham before fading at reading

Stephen quinn            who was dependable and did ok at reading before again fading

David meyler          dependable no frills midfielder who was again ok

Moses Odubajo  loads of potential but was out with an injury  for yonks

Sam Clucas from chesterfield grew into a fine player for us

George Boyd a great signing who went on to play for 2 seasons in the prem for burnley and now with you lot but past his best.

Allan McGregor decent goalie player of the year one season

Curtis davies - good solid player who  was again a great buy

those 23 plusses were balanced with 23 poor signings but luckily for us  hardly any of those were expensive flops

we went up to the prem twice and got relegated once under brucie

so he was a massive plus for us yet still some idiots feel they can slag him off cos he couldn't keep us up.

apologies for boring  (to you lot) post but I couldn't help drooling looking at some of those players and thinking what we'd give to have a few of those in their prime again at hull

I didn't take too much notice of what was happening at villa but noticed even when their side was on a good run he was still taking loads of stick from their fans for not playing expansive flowing football

maybe because you've been out of the prem a lot longer than villa you might be willing to forgive him of this

Good post, thanks.

Personally I feel Villa is a case of careful what you wish for. As you say, Bruce is able to attract very good players to football clubs. Smith did a great job at Walsall and Brentford at finding obscure players and making a good team. Will that work at a big club like Villa? Look at Jota, he’s gone to a bigger club and doesn’t look that special now.

The style at Villa may improve, but give me Hughton’s methodical Brighton side over Smith’s free flowing Brentford team - if you get my meaning. 

As for Collymore, the guy was lucky to be born with a talent of playing football, otherwise he would be doing a 9-5 career where a brain cell isn’t required 

Edited by Owls-Fan

Who knows how it will work out. There are no guarantees but seems a better bet than an unknown Euro who doesn't know the league so I think progress on what we have had recently. My bigger fear is that if it isnt going great and Bruce is getting stick then he may decide just to walk. Let's be patient and give it time. He inherits a decent but unbalanced squad. We are not suddenly going to start tearing up the league

re the Villa experience - as said overall win ratio 45% saved them from a headlong plummet into League 1 and got them to a play off final they narrowly lost.

History says that the losing play off finalist usually struggles the following season - average finish is 11th - we bucked the trend under Carlos...  Villa fans are delusional about this division still and think they have the right to wee wee the league...