A lifetime of experience says don't get giddy. But...

I'm happy..I'm not giddy....

I'm simply happy that Wednesday are stringin' a few passes together and looking like they have a system....Its bloody ludicrous isn't it?

I'm happy that there are at least 3 teams worse than us in the league...Its hardly f.ookin' aspirational, but its a relief.

When you think about it...Thats totally f.ookin' sad isn't it?

Yet I'm happy.

How does this paradox work?...I will tell you from near on 60 years of experience....

Sheffield Wednesday football Club..are not here to "Make you happy"...Sheffield Wednesday football club are simply here...Like yer daft uncle, yer half mad granny and your first pet..

Sheffield Wednesday football club, will never actually let you down, they won't take you the heights of footballing glory, they will attempt to plumb the depths of mediocrity, offer a brief glimpse of sunshine...Then...

They will simply be ...Sheffield Wednesday football club...again.

In all honesty, theres nothing like it in sport in my humble opinion, but then again I'm a Wednesday fan...not a fan of football...I can watch it, but if its not The Wednesday..its all a bit "meh".

I go to Hillsborough in the bad times, and treat it as theatre...Listen to the fans around me, watch them, twitchin' shoutin' cheerin'...Even storming outta the ground in a fit of temper.

Its Sheffield Wednesday, its what they do, its what we do....got f.ook all to do with football for the most part...

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Womble Owl said:

After all, you don't start supporting a team because you like to be depressed and moan

Exactly! Though...well..... sometimes when you turn on grumble or grumble you do wonder.... but maybe they have just been turned liked that.

Maybe watching Wednesday has turned them like that.

Like a long but bitter marriage!

At first there is the love and the excitment. You can't wait to see them again. When you are apart all you can think about is that next meeting. The thrill, the excitment. The adrenaline.  Of course that wears off after a while.

Some people keep it going. Pay for some surgery. Keep going on romantic breaks.  

But perhaps some are at that stage where the drudgery of the routines settled in.

They stare across the room while the other half is filing down her hoof with a foot sander and squleching on the latest handful from the celebrations tub , and think look at the bloody state of you. Then they think "I hate that b'astard. I wish I'd never met her." and start thinking about how much the insurance is worth. Which is never quite enough. She smiles back across teeth blackened with Malteser and says "Do you still love me?".

Then I think latterly people get to that stage where the passion eases full stop. Neither the first passionate blossom of love, nor the passionate hate of the constant desire to keep replacing the soft furnishings.

Tied still and a sort of rubbing along nicely together comes back into play ....

........before you peg it and they get another young lover in to replace you.

Or something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Exactly! Though...well..... sometimes when you turn on grumble or grumble you do wonder.... but maybe they have just been turned liked that.

Maybe watching Wednesday has turned them like that.

Like a long but bitter marriage!

At first there is the love and the excitment. You can't wait to see them again. When you are apart all you can think about is that next meeting. The thrill, the excitment. The adrenaline.  Of course that wears off after a while.

Some people keep it going. Pay for some surgery. Keep going on romantic breaks.  

But perhaps some are at that stage where the drudgery of the routines settled in.

They stare across the room while the other half is filing down her hoof with a foot sander and squleching on the latest handful from the celebrations tub , and think look at the bloody state of you. Then they think "I hate that b'astard. I wish I'd never met her." and start thinking about how much the insurance is worth. Which is never quite enough. She smiles back across teeth blackened with Malteser and says "Do you still love me?".

Then I think latterly people get to that stage where the passion eases full stop. Neither the first passionate blossom of love, nor the passionate hate of the constant desire to keep replacing the soft furnishings.

Tied still and a sort of rubbing along nicely together comes back into play ....

........before you peg it and they get another young lover in to replace you.

Or something.

You know my ex wife well then? 

• Haha 1

Just glad we seem to have started to turn this ship around.

At last a TEAM playing a simple system that they all seem to understand, and that the fans can understand and relate to.

At last a manager who is appreciated by the fans as being a straight forward football guy.

A big thankyou to Mr C for, yet again, putting his hand in his pocket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spookone said:

and maybe is privy to information we are not?

Excellent point Eobard, erm, I mean Spookers... 

All I've heard about Bruce is how he loves to have money to spend. Which made him coming here seem slim, but he is so... as you say he knows something we don't.

Mind, judging by the transfer thread there might be only you and me that aren't privy!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

My kids were just over-excited about Christmas, now it's my turn!

Hoping and believing this time we'll do great!

Regardless ready for another adventure - the alternative to just sit and moan and be mopey sucks...

Exactly! For as long as we're in it for the long haul, sometimes you have to stop feeling sorry for yourself and think  positive.

Turn out the lights, jump on the bones and imagine what could be!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I'm simply happy that Wednesday are stringin' a few passes together and looking like they have a system....Its bloody ludicrous isn't it?

I'm happy that there are at least 3 teams worse than us in the league...Its hardly f.ookin' aspirational, but its a relief.

Yet I'm happy.

How does this paradox work?...I will tell you from near on 60 years of experience....

Sheffield Wednesday football Club..are not here to "Make you happy"...Sheffield Wednesday football club are simply here...Like yer daft uncle, yer half mad granny and your first pet..

Sheffield Wednesday football club, will never actually let you down, they won't take you the heights of footballing glory, they will attempt to plumb the depths of mediocrity, offer a brief glimpse of sunshine...Then...

In all honesty, theres nothing like it in sport in my humble opinion, but then again I'm a Wednesday fan...not a fan of football...I can watch it, but if its not The Wednesday..its all a bit "meh".

I go to Hillsborough in the bad times, and treat it as theatre...Listen to the fans around me, watch them, twitchin' shoutin' cheerin'...Even storming outta the ground in a fit of temper.

Its Sheffield Wednesday, its what they do, its what we do....got f.ook all to do with football for the most part...

Great post Mr A, but Snoots' is better.

I'd have 'loved' it 50 times if it let me click on the heart more than once.

I'm in bed with man-flu and can't sleep so popped onto OT for a daily peruse.

Snooty's post has inspired me so much I'm going into work early, I'll look after my customers with much gusto this morning but it won't last

:picnic:

As for the football and Wednesday experience, i agree with you but I'm wearing my giddy hat as i don't get much chance to wear it these days. Used to wear my magic hat a lot until Jack Charlton nicked it and never gave it back.

I remember some underlying feelings and similar giddyness when HW and RA took over and look what happened there, I'm going for a hat-trick.

UTO!

13 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Yet I'm happy.

Not for nothing were we called the yo yo club

Yo-kun-GP.gif

20 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Excellent point Eobard, erm, I mean Spookers... 

All I've heard about Bruce is how he loves to have money to spend. Which made him coming here seem slim, but he is so... as you say he knows something we don't.

Mind, judging by the transfer thread there might be only you and me that aren't privy!

Is " in the privy" the new itk ? lol