Sorry I’m watching the cricket

20 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Problem with some football fans is they think all basic human rights are not applicable to anyone in football. 

Remember when Grey had a prior commitment (his sons wedding) when he was manager?

True, although Gray should really have been having words with his son for arranging his wedding during the football season!

11 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Does perhaps suggest though that he was not intending to return to management this year.

Maybe, but he then got an offer that was too good to let pass by.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Sheffield Wednesday have appointed Steve Bruce as their new manager.

But the former Aston Villa boss will not take charge until February 1 due to a prior personal commitment, reports in the Midlands claim.

According to some reports on Thursday, the commitment will see Bruce watch the England cricket team play in the West Indies.

This has not been confirmed by Bruce or Sheffield Wednesday.

However, at least one report suggests: "It appears as if Bruce’s arrival as new Sheffield Wednesday boss has been delayed as he wants to tick off an item on his bucket list: seeing an England cricket test in West Indies."

England play in Barbados starting on January 23.

Source : Birmingham mail

We are stumped now.

Guest Willow Owl
23 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Does perhaps suggest though that he was not intending to return to management this year.

What difference does it make what his initial plans were. The only fact that really matters is, He takes over our club the end of Jan. What ever has been agreed between both SB and DC during contract talks is their business and both parties are happy with the situation. As fans we should respect the decisions made and look forward to a bright future rather than always trying to find negatives in everything the club says or does. 

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

I suspect there's a bit of mischief making going on here. 

The journalist who broke this *story* has based it off an interview with one of Bruce's old coaching staff (Kevin MacDonald), who commented on Bruce having wanted to watch cricket in the West Indies so he could tick it off his bucket list. 

Needless to say, I look forward to the ensuing meltdown.

The Birmingham rags seem to have a real axe to grind when it comes to Bruce. They've been running negative stories about his appointment all week. Bet he's well chuffed to be rid of that poo hole. 

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

Cricket is poo .

Cricket is AMAZING.

we are only here due to cricket... how ace is that!? 

if we had the morals of stoke or chessie we would be SWFC est: 1810. 

actually our reason to backdate is more valid than either or theirs! 

Lets be reyt, when he was first approached and saw a video, he said, 'tha wot...no chance'.

Would rather watch cricket in the windies'  ....same as many on here would.

But then an unexpected Vast improvement and saw 2 million smackeroonies ripening and ready for picking ....so he said ok, in Feb...same as many on here would :biggrin:

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Errr 1820

pretty sure dunsby did a thread on ere about a year ago were he had found some press cuttings that took the Wednesday cricket club back to either 1810 or 1811. he also stated that formation was likely to have been even earlier them dates.

3 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

pretty sure dunsby did a thread on ere about a year ago were he had found some press cuttings that took the Wednesday cricket club back to either 1810 or 1811. he also stated that formation was likely to have been even earlier them dates.

Well aware of the earlier formation date conjecture, but there is no conclusive proof so we stick with 1820. There is a theory that a Sheffield Cricket Club divided into sections named by days of the week and this may have lead to some confusion. Dunsby and I have debated this and we have been unable to establish an earlier formation date than that given as 1820. Furthermore, athletics were a regular feature of the calendar which would probably make The Wednesday the oldest sports club in the country. 

5 hours ago, vulva said:

FFS. 

I like cricket, and think Bruce is an excellent appointment, but this doesn’t sit right. A bit like when Stuart Grat took a Saturday off to go to a wedding. 

believe it or not bruce was touted by 3 senior Man utd players as a possible temp manager for them before Solskjær got it 

I wonder if bruce  would've been unavailable for them before jan 31st ? 

8 minutes ago, steelowl said:

believe it or not bruce was touted by 3 senior Man utd players as a possible temp manager for them before Solskjær got it 

I wonder if bruce  would've been unavailable for them before jan 31st ? 

Let’s wait for the true story. What I will say is that if we’d lost the last 4 games the reaction to this news would be very different on here. 

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

Let’s wait for the true story. What I will say is that if we’d lost the last 4 games the reaction to this news would be very different on here. 

Agree on both points 

i dont believe it actually 

no prob for me if it is recuperation  but out of choice sat in the sun watching cricket which doesn’t start til 23 jan nope definitely not right 

Burn out. 

spread over quite a few years His last few jobs have all been high pressure 'expect promotion' type of jobs.

that can take a toll on a bloke regardless of whats happened with his family last year.

What i saw towards the end of his Villa tenure was a guy that had not been looking after himself very well. even for a bloke whos weight has often fluctuated i dont think ive seen him as big as he was, not to mention the drawn out face, bags under the eyes, hair unkempt.. then we get the FF thing when SB genuinely didnt even know he was suspended an said he was our dangerman!

most managers, like CC now, get a chance to step away for a bit, recharge their batteries before going again, looks like its done Nige Adkins the world of good at hull too.. well Steve Bruce has always been in demand, by ambitious expectant clubs, so hasnt had that time away, and you can tell. 

the best thing he could ever do. for himself but also for SWFC, is take the time out he needs till HE HIMSELF, is fit and ready to return to the grindstone, cos thats what it is. 

as a fan that wants to see us get promoted in the next 2,3 or 4 years, i would Much rather wait till this guy is READY.

be it feb or even march i dont really care.

once we decided he was the man, we need him right or we've got no chance.