Sorry I’m watching the cricket

Sheffield Wednesday have appointed Steve Bruce as their new manager.

But the former Aston Villa boss will not take charge until February 1 due to a prior personal commitment, reports in the Midlands claim.

According to some reports on Thursday, the commitment will see Bruce watch the England cricket team play in the West Indies.

This has not been confirmed by Bruce or Sheffield Wednesday.

However, at least one report suggests: "It appears as if Bruce’s arrival as new Sheffield Wednesday boss has been delayed as he wants to tick off an item on his bucket list: seeing an England cricket test in West Indies."

England play in Barbados starting on January 23.

Source : Birmingham mail

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

To be honest, even if it were true, at least the chap is being honest.

If he's said at the outset I've got something on, then that's up to us to decide whether we still make the offer.

Of course. It might be complete round uns made up by people in that area where he's managed two teams and ended up leaving.

12 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Sheffield Wednesday have appointed Steve Bruce as their new manager.

But the former Aston Villa boss will not take charge until February 1 due to a prior personal commitment, reports in the Midlands claim.

According to some reports on Thursday, the commitment will see Bruce watch the England cricket team play in the West Indies.

This has not been confirmed by Bruce or Sheffield Wednesday.

However, at least one report suggests: "It appears as if Bruce’s arrival as new Sheffield Wednesday boss has been delayed as he wants to tick off an item on his bucket list: seeing an England cricket test in West Indies."

England play in Barbados starting on January 23.

Source : Birmingham mail

Did anyone get this right in the separate conspiracy theory thread? :duntmatter:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

I think its most likely that the terms of his Aston Villa pay off mean he can't take another job until the end of the transfer window.  If this is the case and he wants to use the spare time to watch a game of cricket then who cares? 

If that is the legitimate reason I still think he could be using his time more productively by watching our games, identifying transfer targets etc. I know that can be done from afar but not too impressed with this myself. If, of course, it’s even true.

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

If that is the legitimate reason I still think he could be using his time more productively by watching our games, identifying transfer targets etc. I know that can be done from afar but not too impressed with this myself. If, of course, it’s even true.

Why don't you think the club will send him match videos and his backroom staff won't be communicating with him every day...FFS

• Like 1

I suspect there's a bit of mischief making going on here. 

The journalist who broke this *story* has based it off an interview with one of Bruce's old coaching staff (Kevin MacDonald), who commented on Bruce having wanted to watch cricket in the West Indies so he could tick it off his bucket list. 

Needless to say, I look forward to the ensuing meltdown.

• Haha 1