Team v Luton

I'd like a strong team for this one., but with a couple of players rested. Cup run would be nice considering we've got nothing to play for this season (won't go up or down imo)

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Thorniley

Fox

Pelupessy

Bannan

Reach

Boyd

Joao

Matias

Subs:

Dawson, Baker, Hector, Hutchinson, Onomah, Nuhiu, Winnall

17 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

No point playing a strong side and risking needless injury to key players in what is a nothing game.

Bruce's right hand men should take the opportunity to see for themselves what some of the youngsters can do - Thorniley, Penny, Baker etc.

Reach, Bannan etc deserve to be allowed to sit this one out.

Can't believe this is what supporting your football club has come to - the third round of the FA Cup a nothing game. 

Might as well not bother in the first place. 

• Thanks 1

I can see the likes of Hutchinson and Westwood sitting this one out.

Beyond that though, I hope we play a strong side. Luton will be confident and though it's not like we'll need to be at our very best, we shouldn't be thinking we'll get away with taking the game lightly. Maybe it would be a good chance to look at Abdi, but I hope we don't otherwise just flood the team with kids and the fringe players.

17 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

One month shy of being here 5 years ....

Sam Hutchinson has never played in the FA Cup for Wednesday 

There my fact for the day.

good stat. what about Westwood, has he played for us in the FA cup?

Edited by GY-owl.4

Often in favour of weakened sides in the cup depending on league position/opposition but I’d like to see as close to full strength as possible here, allowing for a key player or two to have a rest if really needed. This season will quickly peter out into nothingness (if it hasn’t already, bar the pigs at home) and the cup is the only opportunity for excitement. Luton won’t be easy but it’s obciously winnable. Another easy tie in the next round and things can become interesting.

You don’t just rest players because they might get tired.

You rest players to try and prevent injury. Having played 4 games in around 10 days they need to assess which players are in danger of picking up an injury if they play.

eg Reach came off with a tight hamstring at West Brom. Yes he played against Birmingham but that was probably a bit of a gamble. Equally Fletcher and Matias are always candidates for pulls or strains.

I can see the thread on here already if we risk somebody and they do an hamstring.

Also it is possible a fresh Penney might actually make the side stronger than say a tired Fox, who did look extremely tired second half on Saturday 

So we need a strong side but it is no good flogging a dead horse 

21 hours ago, Rich_swfc said:

So what do we reckon the side will look like for the FA Cup tie then, under (sort of) new management?

I am expecting either Wildsmth or Dawson in goal (Bruce will know all about Westwood anyway), and would think Baker, Thorniley and Penney might get starts at the back.  Maybe Pelupessy back in the middle and Winnall to get a start?  Would be good to see a couple of the other kids on the bench - maybe Borukov for a subs place?

Can't see any value in playing Reach, Bannan, Fletcher from the start.

What would we be resting them for? We’re not going up and we’re not going down. The FA Cup could be our only chance of any excitement this season 

Guest gizowl

Strongest side possible, top half finish in the league and a good cup run, a good home fixture sell out, followed by a away day at one of the top six in Premier league and I'll be happy with this, then let the proper business commence. 

23 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Any player that plays on Saturday will be putting in a shift in an attempt to impress the new manager.

Baring that in mind, and the fact that we’ve played a lot of football lately I’d go with....

Dawson

Baker

Thornley

Pudil

Penney

Matias

Pelupessey

Jones

Preston

Winnall

Nuhiu

I just don’t trust Pudil in a back two, he’s a different beast in a three.

Going to be a tough game. Got to be as strong as possible without risking the injury prone players.

Dawson

Palmer

Lees

Hector

Fox

Boyd

Bannan

Pelupessy

Penny

Matias

Nuhui

Westwood & Hutch rested as so not to push them too far too soon. Still too early to risk Winnall from the start and Reachs hamstring issues should allow him to sit this one out. 

Guest everydays_wednesday
On 02/01/2019 at 21:28, gurujuan said:

Being mid table, surely there is no excuse for not playing our strongest side

I believe this is exactly the reason we are mid table !!