Bruce Is The Big Name That Will Attract The Players.

20 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I too had this conversation with someone.

When Bruce calls up a Premier League club, they will know who he is and his name demands a certain respect. 

When Jos calls up he would have either been knocked back or had to spend ten minutes explaining who he is.  

Networking is such an important part of football that you cannot overstate its importance. 

Managers don’t do ‘deals’ anymore. It’s all done at CEO level. 

31 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

Wouldn’t mind going in for Defoe he would be insane.

Tammy Abraham is that a player I’ve always wanted to see play for us but just won’t happen , maybe next season if he doesn’t go to a prem club like he’s reported 

Nixon reckons Abraham is off to Wolves for £18 million.

I don't think it's the manager's connections who are key in the transfer market anymore. I suspect Chansiri and his contacts will continue to steer our transfer policy even if Bruce gets the final say.

7 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Said before, this appointment feels just like the appointments of JC, HW & RA.

Right man, right club, right time!

Paul Sturrock said  "someone will come into this club and be a legend"   As Diana Ross sang " I'm still waiting "

lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

The financial side, yes. I would be amazed if transfers are not sounded out manager to manager with the call ending with a variation of “my CEO will speak to yours”

Possible. Either way, it’s an excellent appointment. He would have been ideal to replace Carlos. It was what we needed at the time, and we’ve wasted a year. 

14 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Nixon reckons Abraham is off to Wolves for £18 million.

I don't think it's the manager's connections who are key in the transfer market anymore. I suspect Chansiri and his contacts will continue to steer our transfer policy even if Bruce gets the final say.

Not just connections though is it. People in the game actually know who Bruce is. Be that players, agents or other managers. No one had a clue who Jo’s was. As a manager / owner would you lend a valuable asset to someone you knew nowt about?

It’s noticeable how many pros have come out to say what a fantastic appointment he is. You can immediately see the impact and he hasn’t even started. I expect us to get more media exposure now too.

Without meaning any disrespect to Jos (I’m sure some of you would like me too!), he was such an unknown that it would have felt like more of a gamble for any player taking their career to Sheff Wed under him.

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

He is a massive name in the game, with contacts throughout the premier league ,and this will be a big plus for us when it comes to attracting the better players ,and the best young premier league players on loan . I really think this is the start of something good. 

Have to agree and the best thing about it is a don't think it needs a poo load throwing at it, if the signings can be shrewd then...we already have the nucleus of a good squad.

44 minutes ago, vulva said:

I don’t think a ‘name’ or contacts makes a jot of difference anymore. It’s all about money. Back in the day maybe, but then there were no loan fees, penalties for loan players not playing or the dominance of agents. £’s decide where players go, not mates. 

Bruce’s peer group don’t really manage anymore anyway. If you think of the Man Utd sides he played in, how many are currently managing? 

The days of an old boys network, like when BFR was in his pomp, are well gone. 

Totally disagree...clubs see youngsters as saleable assets these days, if they don’t break into their first teams, they often sell them on to championship and lower PL clubs. They would want them to go to clubs and managers who can be trusted with them. 

A name such as Steve Bruce would be more recognisable and trustworthy than that of Jos. 

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Heard a whisper that the Blunts are after Jermaine Defoe

Hope Bruce nips in and knicks him

He's on 100k a week and Bournemouth want the pigs to pay half of that to take him on loan. No way they'll do that but if they did it would make wilder look a bigger cheeky monkey than he already does. 

Guest LittleG
55 minutes ago, southportdc said:

Steve Bruce is quite a small name actually. Only two syllables. Struggling to think of a manager with less. 

He's never going to succeed with only 2 syllables, we can forget promotion!