I’d like to see Chansiri and Bruce work to a 3 year plan to get promoted.

Throwing cash at a quick promotion hasn’t worked.

We should be more planful, organised and structured in building for the medium and long term.

If we get promoted sooner than that, then great. Promotions at a lot of teams took time and I hope Chansiri is realising that. 

What do people think? 

There’s a tension at the moment because Chansiri is charging such high prices, that he probably feels pressured into getting promotion as quickly as possible. Perhaps he could lower the prices and communicate a new plan, learning from our mistakes.

Definitely agree that long term planning is better than spunking money for a quick fix.

3 years might be optimistic though, next couple of years are most likely going to be about surviving, then stabilising and righting the recent wrongs. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

If you believe Nixon and a few others Howson), then :Chansiri:thinks we can still get promoted and is willing to back Bruce in January.

3 month plan.

Sorted.

• Haha 2
Just now, southportdc said:

3 month plan.

Sorted.

I am wondering if Chansiri has decided poo or bust tbh

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

If you believe Nixon and a few others Howson), then :Chansiri:thinks we can still get promoted and is willing to back Bruce in January.

I’ve read somewhere that he’s starting in February. So that would definitely not add up 

Just now, OughtibridgeOwl said:

I’ve read somewhere that he’s starting in February. So that would definitely not add up 

"Steve, give us your targets and we'll get them in place for February"

6 minutes ago, heppers said:

Year 1 - get promotion via play offs.

Year 2 - win premier league 

Year 3 - win the premier league, FA Cup and Champions League

:Chansiri:

To be fair I would be spent

:goalie:

2 minutes ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

His backroom team will be in from today. 

5 minutes ago, Lee A said:

Definitely agree that long term planning is better than spunking money for a quick fix.

3 years might be optimistic though, next couple of years are most likely going to be about surviving, then stabilising and righting the recent wrongs. 

I agree about having a 3 year plan is a good idea. But dont believe Bruce would come if he thought he would have to a couple of seasons rebuilding job.

Been a manager for 20 years and doesn't need to work for the money. Believe he has come as he thinks he can get Wednesday up next season.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm being a bit simple, but it seems to me that building a promotion winning side is fairly straightforward with a modest amount of money spent. 

It comes down to transfer strategy and squad selection.

You have a squad of 22-25 for your first team, of which approx 15-18 are good enough to play first team football without too much impact on quality.  The rest of the spaces are youth and loan players.  

Each transfer window you identify which part of your strongest starting eleven is weakest and strengthen that position.  Over two seasons and four transfer windows you should then have improved a minimum of four places in the starting eleven.  

The key is not to recruit for the sake of recruiting.  You do not recruit players to round out your squad.  You recruit to improve the weakest part of your strongest starting eleven.  The player displaced either moves on or becomes part of the squad.  

This allows you to maintain the core of your strongest side.  It does not disrupt the squad balance too much at any one time.  It's a logical progression of continuous improvement.

Or, you can blow your load on signing up any and all available players without any thought about how they can be fashioned into an effective starting eleven.

Who knows, maybe I'm being too simple minded about it. 

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Technically we could if we don’t lose any games for the rest of the season:ghoulguy:

Having 3 year plans is all well and good. But what if we don’t win promotion in that 3rd year? That will be 7 seasons DC has been here. 

Theres no reason we can’t plan now to try and win promotion next season. 

Edited by S72 Owl

I think Bullen has proved in the past few games that we have a decent side, although we’re still probably a few players short of a squad that can challenge at the top. It seems that he’s simply gone back to basics and put round pegs in round holes, rather than changing the system and personnel every single game. 

We had a shocker of a season last year when Carlos lost the plot and was replaced by the even more clueless Luhukay, so after consecutive top 6 finishes we’ve essentially lost a season and a half. We still have the majority of the players that finished in the play offs two years running and there’s no reason a manager who has the track record of Bruce can’t come in and get us challenging again. I’m more optimistic about this appointment than I have been for any of our managerial appointments in years. 

I'd settle for a having a style of football to get behind and some form in the 2nd half of the season that shows we can have a go next season. The squad is not bad and a good manager has enough at his disposal to get us rolling in that direction. 

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

I think Bullen has proved in the past few games that we have a decent side, although we’re still probably a few players short of a squad that can challenge at the top. It seems that he’s simply gone back to basics and put round pegs in round holes, rather than changing the system and personnel every single game. 

We had a shocker of a season last year when Carlos lost the plot and was replaced by the even more clueless Luhukay, so after consecutive top 6 finishes we’ve essentially lost a season and a half. We still have the majority of the players that finished in the play offs two years running and there’s no reason a manager who has the track record of Bruce can’t come in and get us challenging again. I’m more optimistic about this appointment than I have been for any of our managerial appointments in years. 

Some of those players who pushed us to two top-six finishes are done though.  I don't think we will see any effective contribution from Hooper or Lee before the end of the season, at which point I believe both contracts are up?  Also, lacking a dominant midfielder.  Hutchinson has been a breath of fresh air but we are all waiting for his next spell on the sidelines.  No one is doubting his ability but his temperament and natural fitness are both concerns.