Jos Luhukay

I really don’t want to be bitter about Jos... least said soonest mended.

I’m too consumed enjoying the upturn in our fortunes whilst eagerly awaiting to see what impact Steve Bruce makes.

There’s no doubt that there will be some exciting arrivals... we may even have to learn to love Snodgrass.

15 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

He had the right idea - just couldn’t implement it. 

He shouldve brought in the youth that were ready and blended that to learn off the experience with the older and experienced e.g Thorniley, Penney. Not Baker, Kirby, Preston etc who were nowhere NEAR good enough just yet. 

He burnt bridges and couldnt go back - that was his downfall

Dead right about "youth at all costs". But trying them out not necessarily a bad thing. Silly to rule out the better veterans though.

Jos’s words - I think some of the fans are living in the past. Commenting on an ageing team since Carlos time and play off campaigns 

Bullen takes over and immediately hits play off form taking a team drained of confidence and playing in form teams and two of the divisions best teams

he should have been sacked a minimum of a month before he did 

but he’s gone know and operation save the season is back on. I hope we can retain westwood and hutch, fletcher, and hector  and we look forward to a big summer in refreshing this team let’s finish this season on a high and who knows but one things for sure next season can only be better than this one land we have one man to thank for that 

kudos to chansiri for all of his abuse he’s had still seems to be having ago but this time it’s going to be with a stronger manager

im feeling good about us at the moment 

24 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Fed up of evening reading about him mate...His name even infuriates me!!! 

All this about a long term plan...really?? He dropped 3/4 players he had at his disposal and set us back many many months, dropping points and making us worse, whilst having the tools there to do his job properly. 

The man was inept, clueless and way out of depth. A nice man he may have been but he was a terrible manager...possibly the worst this club as had.

Thank god he’s gone and we can move on...no sympathy from me on this one!! 

Yeah the long term plan was obviously to move on the big earners and bring through youth with good sell on potential, sadly he was miles off with balancing out and playing kids who weren't ready and probably won't ever be at this level.

23 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

I really don’t want to be bitter about Jos... least said soonest mended.

I’m too consumed enjoying the upturn in our fortunes whilst eagerly awaiting to see what impact Steve Bruce makes.

There’s no doubt that there will be some exciting arrivals... we may even have to learn to love Snodgrass.

I am not bitter about Jos just bemused.

He looked a flop when he left and with what we have seen since he left has made his reputation even lower.

To freeze out completely 4 or 5 solid championship performers when the team were doing so badly is bizzare.

Good intentions and think Jos was doing everything for the right reasons.

Fans were crying out for youngsters to be given a chance a year ago and I don't think any have let us down even if some are not quite ready yet. Make a mistake of not including senior players, still going to come a time when we have to move them on, but was too early to write them off just yet. Would have liked to have seen who he would have bought in a transfer window as I don't think we ever saw a real Luhukay team based on what he did in Germany. Was the wrong man for this club at our current time but don't believe he's a bad manager, and no where near the worst we have had he just didn't fit in here. Hopefully the likes of Thornley, Penny, Dawson etc will have long careers at Wednesday and will maybe thank Jos for giving them the experience which a lot of managers wouldn't. 

39 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Agree. And we do have some poor players, whom he could not change for others. Despite the better spirit, yesterday we saw again poor play from a centre back costing a goal, struggling players at full back, a midfield where even the star players Bannan and  Reach were very poor, and hardly a decent shot or header on target until the last five minutes. JL recognised he had to look for quality among the youth players although he obviously was wrong to expel the better veterans like KW and GB.

Home TeamSheff WedAway TeamBirmingham
Possession
Home55%
Away45%
Shots
Home15
Away11
Shots on Target
Home7
Away1
Corners
Home6
Away4
Fouls
Home13
Away15
Here, have some facts.

Edited by longreach
Accuracy

For what it's worth his policy on youth and his policy on injury recovery were significant improvements over what came before.

Unfortunately his man management/fall outs and inability to convey tactics to British players were not good enough.

Long term with the progress of our youth teams and his focus on properly rehabbing players we may see some good come from his time here but my god was the football awful

Luhukay did a commendable job under very difficult circumstances last season and we started this season with a decent run of form until the first international break.

Unfortunately, when our form suddenly deserted us this year, he seemed increasingly incapable of turning things back around. I can understand him wanting to build for the future, but results in the present need to be strong enough to buy you that luxury. Unfortunately for him, ours weren't.

Ultimately, in the long term, I hope we might come to see Luhukay's legacy more in terms of the youngsters he bedded in rather than the short term results which brought his tenure to a deserved end.

1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

I know its in the past now but how bad was Jos Luhukay for this club, I’m always happy to give a manager a chance but apart from a little spell at the end of last season which raised expectation a little it was truly dire. The bizarre exclusion of senior players, odd team selections (no strikers at Millwall being a lowlight), poor substitutions and lack of motivation all counted towards his demise. It was quite refreshing to see some of the younger players being used but surely youngsters should only be getting a game if they are better than other available players, he may have seen the job as a more long term task but was only taking us one way and seemed stubborn to change. The resurgence and mood since he’s gone speaks volumes.

In my 40yrs of watching the Owls the worst managers have been Eustace, Turner and Irvine – I think Luhukay may have topped the lot.

Happy new year to you too...

2 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

For what it's worth his policy on youth and his policy on injury recovery were significant improvements over what came before.

Unfortunately his man management/fall outs and inability to convey tactics to British players were not good enough.

Long term with the progress of our youth teams and his focus on properly rehabbing players we may see some good come from his time here but my god was the football awful

That's a fair summation.

I think a lot of Jos's philosophy was sound, but sometimes you need to be able to take a step back and re-assess that philosophy as circumstances change. I think he was too stubborn to do that. I do sympathise with the situation he found himself in when he joined us and I wonder how it might have been if he'd been able to re-shape the squad rather than had his hands tied because at times we looked good, but we'll never know. I think he had to go because he'd obviously lost the plot, but I don't bear him the ill-will that some here seem to. He inherited problems that weren't of his own making but ultimately just wasn't up to dealing with those problems.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

You could see, I think, the approach. Blooding the young ones. Not using players who didn't have a long term future.

You can understand it. But. ..

You have to win games. And if you aren't ....then you have to bite the bullett and even players whose contracts are up in the summer or they are actively available to other clubs. And not in the long term plans  ..You still use them while they are here. 

Exactly.

I can see what he was trying to do but he went the wrong way about it.

And that line up at Bristol when we list 4-0 was ridiculous. Made me start to think he wasn't the man.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

He needed to phase the younger players in.

But the key thing was a lack of understanding of football culture here. The players expected a team talk and words after a game. It was reportedly not his thing. They were clearly very unhappy at being left to sort it themselves and it was a negligent approach to refuse to adapt.

They probably also expected some communication  during the game!