Jos Luhukay

Just now, asteener1867 said:

Palmer is  better than Baker

Palmer cant cross, even Fox off form puts a better ball in the box.. Palmer is decent position-ally and puts in a shift, but if someone who could cross had played yesterday we would have scored another first half. 

6 hours ago, toppOwl said:

I know its in the past now but how bad was Jos Luhukay for this club, I’m always happy to give a manager a chance but apart from a little spell at the end of last season which raised expectation a little it was truly dire. The bizarre exclusion of senior players, odd team selections (no strikers at Millwall being a lowlight), poor substitutions and lack of motivation all counted towards his demise. It was quite refreshing to see some of the younger players being used but surely youngsters should only be getting a game if they are better than other available players, he may have seen the job as a more long term task but was only taking us one way and seemed stubborn to change. The resurgence and mood since he’s gone speaks volumes.

In my 40yrs of watching the Owls the worst managers have been Eustace, Turner and Irvine – I think Luhukay may have topped the lot.

As you rightly say, deserves credit for last season and for having the guts to blood the young 'uns but his tactics, exclusion of experience and his bizarre substitutions are inexcusable. It was as though he decided that in the future (next couple of seasons) the team will be built around the best of our current young players, and that may be so but we could easily have been relegated by him blindly sticking to that policy even though everyone could see it wasn't working.

1 minute ago, Daizan10 said:

Palmer cant cross, even Fox off form puts a better ball in the box.. Palmer is decent position-ally and puts in a shift, but if someone who could cross had played yesterday we would have scored another first half. 

and if baker had been playing instead of Palmer...birmingham might have scored...Palmers a better player

9 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

and if baker had been playing instead of Palmer...birmingham might have scored...Palmers a better player

I guess as its an opinion we will never know who is right... maybe a thumb war can solve the issue? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Daizan10 said:

I guess as its an opinion we will never know who is right... maybe a thumb war can solve the issue? 

Yep..after all...Lee Bullen might have a better idea than both of us eh?

But yea..Thumb war is the proper way to solve its...Its why Jos never played Westwood... lol

• Haha 1

Just now, asteener1867 said:

Yep..after all...Lee Bullen might have a better idea than both of us eh?

But yea..Thumb war is the proper way to solve its...Its why Jos never played Westwood... lol

1,2,3,4, i declare a thumb war (im so 90s)

He had a plan...it's just his execution was monumentally flawed and then some. 

Blood the younger players in, oversee a period of transition...

On paper, it's all pretty good, but when you go about it by ostracising key senior players, blooding in a crop of youngsters (many of whom are not ready) and constantly changing formations, tactics, lineups etc., then you really are asking for trouble. 

The great irony is he gave the likes of Dawson, Thorniley, Penney, Baker etc., their chance and yet, through his sheer ineptness, he may have actually ended up harming their development. 

Edited by SiJ

Most refreshing thing of the whole saga is DC listening to the fans and acting swiftly when it was clear at the forum the tide of opinion was against Jos. This, combined with the fact he had an experienced British manager with great knowledge of the league & how to get out of it lined up means to my mind DC comes out of this with a lot of credit. Jos was a gamble that didn’t pay off, on paper he could have worked out though.

Edited by Yellowbelly

12 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

That's a fair summation.

I think a lot of Jos's philosophy was sound, but sometimes you need to be able to take a step back and re-assess that philosophy as circumstances change. I think he was too stubborn to do that. I do sympathise with the situation he found himself in when he joined us and I wonder how it might have been if he'd been able to re-shape the squad rather than had his hands tied because at times we looked good, but we'll never know. I think he had to go because he'd obviously lost the plot, but I don't bear him the ill-will that some here seem to. He inherited problems that weren't of his own making but ultimately just wasn't up to dealing with those problems.

Total agreement with this.

Jos was given particular orders so devised a strategy that worked towards the back end of last season with an extremely capable player in Fred Venancio messing at the back. However after his missed signing, this season something changed. Can't say what it was but all of a sudden, for me this was his downfall, he started chopping and changing players and tactics/formation.

We had a bit of consistency last season which led to some good results and everyone confident but this season especially towards the end...I think a lot of stuff went off behind closed doors and then that was it .. writing on the wall. Lose the players confidence and support and you get raggedy, half arsed displays ...

Felt a bit sorry for Jos but he didn't help himself and no doubt he'll have got a tidy sum anyway

We move on now and get behind Bruce. Let's just hope that things continue improving ...

14 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I genuinly think he was trying to implement a long term plan.

The thing is of course you can't do that at the expense of the present.

I think the same and cut him a lot of slack because of that. I've made comments about Jos having no chance of doing anything while having the squad he was picking from. I didn't think that Westwood, Hutch and Boyd would be available to anyone, but I was wrong. I didn't think that anyone could get consistently decent performances from Fox and Palmer. Wrong again. So for all my wrongness that Jos has caused me, let's hope Bruce pushes this past 12 months into a distant memory. 

14 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I genuinly think he was trying to implement a long term plan.

The thing is of course you can't do that at the expense of the present.

It cost him his job.  And rightly so as we were staring at the abyss 

and he might have pulled it off too if it hadn't been for those meddling kids!!! 

RemoteDelayedHoverfly-small.gif

Edited by Morepork

Not read the whole thread so might be repeating but it seems to be that the scenario laid out for Luhukay was that we didn't have owt to spend, we were getting rid of some of the lower asset-value high earners and that youth was the way to go. Yes, these quality players are still available to us but lets do without them, see whether we sink or swim.

We sank, the Manager paid the price.

Now Chansiri is changing tack, bringing in an expensive Manager and (presumably) backing him (somehow) within the confines of P&S. The experiment failed but luckily the experiment took place whilst we still had these quality, end of career or injury prone players to bring back into the fold. Imagine if we'd gone down the youth route with no back up, no ability to backtrack.

It's simultaneously genius and an absolute car wreck of a way to run a club.

I don’t think this would’ve escalated in the manner that it did, had DC been in the country over a longer period, he is guilty of sitting back (this isn’t a criticism as he obviously has business to attend to back home) and trusting the management far too much and certainly not singing from the same hymn sheet, how DC didn’t sack Jos as soon as he stated we weren’t a top 6 side or even close to being one is beyond me.

the staggering part of it all is how Jos was allowed to lower the value of our experienced players by not playing them when clearly we were under pressure with the FFP/P & S 

what is done is done and we move on.