Jos Luhukay

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

I genuinly think he was trying to implement a long term plan.

I genuinely think he was trying to implement a short term plan........of getting sacked, getting paid off and finally retiring.

No football manager ever made changes to the back line like Luhukay did, it seemed bizarre, especially when you're leaking goals like we were, but it was an early retirement strategy imho.

• Like 1

He was just an awful, awful football manager.

The problem he had was that he could only play one way and only wanted to play one way. He even did it when it was clear as day that this club doesnt have the players to slot into the positions that he wanted.

WE DON'T HAVE ANY WING BACKS AT THIS CLUB! So stop playing a formation that is absolutely dependent on them you clown - he just didnt get it. I think he just played the likes of Penney and Baker etc because he felt it was more likely he could mold those players into what he wanted them to be able to do and they wouldn't complain when it so clearly wasn't working.

All Lee Bullen has done has given us a stable back 4 with full-backs and then gone for a basic 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-1 type formation like we saw yesterday. Its not rocket science, its just called using what you have got to the best of their ability. hes obviously also brought back the much needed experience for the spine of the team in Westwood, Hutch etc.

So pleased Jos has gone -  I was genuinely at the stage where I almost wanted us to lose just to ensure that he was sacked before Jan so a new manager could come in and do something. That's what we have got luckily and Im delighted that Steve Bruce will be taking the job.

2 hours ago, victorturner said:

Was the first team coach available to do this? 

I’m not sure what you mean. But the various press reports suggested there was little in the way of a teamtalk on a match day or a debrief immediately post game. The latter is probably less important but players are routine driven and expect that kind of thing.

1 hour ago, poite said:

He was just an awful, awful football manager.

The problem he had was that he could only play one way and only wanted to play one way. He even did it when it was clear as day that this club doesnt have the players to slot into the positions that he wanted.

WE DON'T HAVE ANY WING BACKS AT THIS CLUB! So stop playing a formation that is absolutely dependent on them you clown - he just didnt get it. I think he just played the likes of Penney and Baker etc because he felt it was more likely he could mold those players into what he wanted them to be able to do and they wouldn't complain when it so clearly wasn't working.

All Lee Bullen has done has given us a stable back 4 with full-backs and then gone for a basic 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-1 type formation like we saw yesterday. Its not rocket science, its just called using what you have got to the best of their ability. hes obviously also brought back the much needed experience for the spine of the team in Westwood, Hutch etc.

So pleased Jos has gone -  I was genuinely at the stage where I almost wanted us to lose just to ensure that he was sacked before Jan so a new manager could come in and do something. That's what we have got luckily and Im delighted that Steve Bruce will be taking the job.

Sounds like a Dave Allen tactic. :ph34r:lol

• Haha 1

If we are looking for good points about JL.

He certainly left the team more physically prepared for games than his predecessor did. A good example of this is team collapsed after first game in charge by Bullen last year, we have just played 4 games and they still have legs. 

Think he did have long term plan but in his own words was winding down to retirement when this came along. He had clearly lost contacts in Germany and had moved back to Holland. He was out of his depth as in England methods of coaching are many and varied and tactics between teams are varied which is not so In Bundesliga. It takes a good coach to be successful in Championship a new name will have some initial success but once worked out you have to evolve. Unfortunately it did not take long for JL to be rumbled. 

4 hours ago, victorturner said:

Agree. And we do have some poor players, whom he could not change for others. Despite the better spirit, yesterday we saw again poor play from a centre back costing a goal, struggling players at full back, a midfield where even the star players Bannan and  Reach were very poor, and hardly a decent shot or header on target until the last five minutes. JL recognised he had to look for quality among the youth players although he obviously was wrong to expel the better veterans like KW and GB.

OK!

When the smarmy opposition manager concedes that their best player by far was their keeper and states him to be the main reason they picked up a point then I reckon we must have done OK.

I don’t know what he was trying to achieve this season.

Towards the end of last season I thought he was onto something. 5 at the back, Forestieri behind the front two. I thought he’d found a system. We were playing some pretty good stuff. 

But then he just chucked it all away. Froze out two of our better players, promoted youngsters who clearly weren’t ready, kept changing formation and players, played players out of position. 

I think he had a long term vision but was very naive to the competitive nature of this division. It’s bloody difficult and you can’t spend a year experimenting and expect to get results. 

I wish him well, but looking back it was quite a bizarre period in our history. 

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don’t know what he was trying to achieve this season.

Towards the end of last season I thought he was onto something. 5 at the back, Forestieri behind the front two. I thought he’d found a system. We were playing some pretty good stuff. 

But then he just chucked it all away. Froze out two of our better players, promoted youngsters who clearly weren’t ready, kept changing formation and players, played players out of position. 

I think he had a long term vision but was very naive to the competitive nature of this division. It’s bloody difficult and you can’t spend a year experimenting and expect to get results. 

I wish him well, but looking back it was quite a bizarre period in our history. 

almost 'irvinesque, this is how we'll win without attacking anyone'.