£20 just the ticket

On 01/01/2019 at 21:39, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

An extra 5000 people buying food programmes visiting club shop yeah waste of time

But how many of those 5k actually spent any money in those outlets?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing getting more people through the gates, obviously it's great.  But financially it isn't the right thing to do.  Otherwise the club would do it!

Just not bothered...

On 01/01/2019 at 22:05, mkowl said:

Is that the same myth that argues higher ticket prices means higher revenues.

As any A level economics student will verify Revenue = Price x Quantity. 

You've literally just proved yourself wrong!

On 01/01/2019 at 22:18, Sova said:

But that's the point, isn't it? Let's say we got 15K walk-ups today at £20 a ticket - that's £300K. 10K walk-ups at £35 quid a ticket would have been £350K. Having said that, I agree that it's not just about the numbers (plus, of course, there are various factors we don't know, so we can't really judge).

Just not bothered...

Just now, mattitheowl said:

You've literally just proved yourself wrong!

Why,  if quantity sold goes down if price goes up then you can be left with less revenue. If you want me to start getting technical I can give you chapter and verse on elasticity of demand and revenue maximization equations if you like

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Why,  if quantity sold goes down if price goes up then you can be left with less revenue. If you want me to start getting technical I can give you chapter and verse on elasticity of demand and revenue maximization equations if you like

A level economics ........please don't go there lol

1 minute ago, Greengrass said:

A level economics ........please don't go there lol

I would say I could go up to degree standard but that was back in the 80's FFS. 

14 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing getting more people through the gates, obviously it's great.  But financially it isn't the right thing to do.  Otherwise the club would do it!

Chansiri grasp of economics doesn’t appear to be very solid.

Based on experience, the club seems to do the opposite of what makes sense.

walk ups are almost non existent now under this bloke so any more fans at “lower” prices is incremental income.

On 01/01/2019 at 20:41, East coast owl said:

Especially taking young kids. Needing drinks and sweets.. it would be interesting to know what the difference in turn over was today than normal. At the reduced price to the normal. With extra people spending money.

I’d be very interested to see the figures .. I’ve been barking on about this for ever ( feels like it)

Without seeing the figures I’d hazard a guess that the match day spreadsheet for a £20 game is as strong (if not better) than full price game.

That aside the whole match day experience (because it’s busier) develops future business .

Its not rocket science Mr Chansiri 

15 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Sorry but that’s crediting the club with too much business prowess.

There are numerous reasons why offereing £20 tickets does and can work financially ( not least FFP).

2 minutes ago, MrSoul said:

Sorry but that’s crediting the club with too much business prowess.

There are numerous reasons why offereing £20 tickets does and can work financially ( not least FFP).

I'm sure the club now has all the data, on the revenue and costs were for the Brum game in comparison to the seasons' games.

No doubt the profit per game will be a KPI for the commercial side of the business and DC will expect a report on what the pros and cons are of pitching the ST and match day prices moving forward.

Or we could just keep ripping the fans off and have this as a one off offer because it's Christmas or summat.

21 minutes ago, Animis said:

I'm sure the club now has all the data, on the revenue and costs were for the Brum game in comparison to the seasons' games.

No doubt the profit per game will be a KPI for the commercial side of the business and DC will expect a report on what the pros and cons are of pitching the ST and match day prices moving forward.

Or we could just keep ripping the fans off and have this as a one off offer because it's Christmas or summat.

If a football club is only as strong as it’s fan base then it seems logical to me to try and get the fan base inside the stadium on match day.

I doubt very much the club lost money on Saturday.

Of course turnover is the nemesis of FFP

18 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

How is it "extra" to say if the tickets were £30 with 25k there?

If we have 20k ST holders - 10k x £20 = £200k. 5k x£30 = £150k.

Obviously VAT, kids tickets etc make the calculations slightly more complicated. 

Plus there’s the other spin offs- eg when I tried to buy a Birmingham programme I was told they had all been sold. 

Edited by rickygoo

3 hours ago, MrSoul said:

I’d be very interested to see the figures .. I’ve been barking on about this for ever ( feels like it)

Without seeing the figures I’d hazard a guess that the match day spreadsheet for a £20 game is as strong (if not better) than full price game.

That aside the whole match day experience (because it’s busier) develops future business .

Its not rocket science Mr Chansiri 

It's only rocket science if those people turning up to pay £20 keep turning up to pay £20, of which there are no guarantees and it has to be seen as very unlikely.

The only way you can try to keep attendance figures high is to a) lock people into season tickets or b) be in the top six

The problem you have is if you make games £20 a pop, that makes season tickets not such an attractive proposition. If people stop buying into the season ticket model, and we go through a spell like we did in the first half of this season, gates will be down to 15k £20 or not as you no longer have the season-long commitment of many fans.

Walk-up prices are too expensive right now, but the balance between matchday prices and season ticket prices is extremely delicate and not as simple as "make it £20 a game".

14 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

If we have 20k ST holders - 10k x £20 = £200k. 5k x£30 = £150k.

Obviously VAT, kids tickets etc make the calculations slightly more complicated. 

Plus there’s the other spin offs- eg when I tried to buy a Birmingham programme I was told they had all been sold. 

Also if tickets were left at £20 all the time rather than a one off would people continue to go to every game. 

3 minutes ago, Offside_Owl said:

The problem you have is if you make games £20 a pop, that makes season tickets not such an attractive proposition.

As it happens, our cheapest adult seasons tickets (early bird, kop) are £455, and 23 games at £20 would come to £460. So season tickets wouldn't be attractive at all. Of course, fans are entitled to ask how other clubs manage to offer cheaper tickets.

41 minutes ago, Offside_Owl said:

It's only rocket science if those people turning up to pay £20 keep turning up to pay £20, of which there are no guarantees and it has to be seen as very unlikely.

The only way you can try to keep attendance figures high is to a) lock people into season tickets or b) be in the top six

The problem you have is if you make games £20 a pop, that makes season tickets not such an attractive proposition. If people stop buying into the season ticket model, and we go through a spell like we did in the first half of this season, gates will be down to 15k £20 or not as you no longer have the season-long commitment of many fans.

Walk-up prices are too expensive right now, but the balance between matchday prices and season ticket prices is extremely delicate and not as simple as "make it £20 a game".

Thanks for your points.

Firstly, as I’ve pointed out previously I do feel for st holders if the £20 (or reduced) tickets is to continue.. however the harsh reality is Hillsborough is a far more  functional, motivational stadium when full. In this moment we still have an excellent squad that the majority of fans recognise as such .. it’s just lacked a leader for 2 years. So now we have a leader and momentum and motivated squad, why would people decline watching for £20?