An Evening with - Paolo DiCanio

34 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Engineered his own exit, couldn't wait to leave. 

Having already been labeled a fancy dan by the manager who managed to get rid of the other fancy dan the next summer and guide us to relegation.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Does anyone serious believe Di Canio was going to stay at Wednesday after pushing over the ref no matter what the club would have done?

Seems to be over looked he only joined Wednesday as he walked out on Celtic, who he joined after a bust up at Milan, who he joined after a falling out with Juventus.

I believe if Atkinson had stayed on as manager he would have been managed better, may not have got into that situation and would have had a decent season with us before probably being sold on for a decent fee rather than the paltry sum we ended up with. 

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Having already been labeled a fancy dan by the manager who managed to get rid of the other fancy dan the next summer and guide us to relegation.

You openly support Carbone - who refused to play !

You openly support a player who refused to play for Wednesday.

He wanted a better deal, Richards refused it, and its now Wilson's fault.

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The club banned him on the TV interview straight after the match, thoroughly professional way of supporting your player. At least Sir Dave went on to bigger and better things as a result though eh.

Of course he deserved punishment but we wanted him gone and the next summer we saw Carbone off as well. 

I still laugh at the part where as dicanio is walking off the pitch Nigel Winter burn is having a good and dicanio moves towards him as if he's going to hit him and winter burns spine turns to jelly

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Personally I dont even know why hes coming back here as he has never had a good word to say about Wednesday so if he does say any compliments it will be hard to listen too because we all know it will be complete bolllox, anyway he always speaks highly about West Ham and Harry Redknapp, the same Harry that said he should be kicked out of football for what he did, bet rosie really said that though.

I said exactly the same thing.I lost any respect for redknapp he slated dicanio publicly and behind the scenes was engineering a move for him.Lower than a snakes belly

59 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

You openly support Carbone - who refused to play !

You openly support a player who refused to play for Wednesday.

He wanted a better deal, Richards refused it, and its now Wilson's fault.

Most people crave Forestieri in the current side.

Carbone refused to sit on the bench - stupid thing to do but given the squad we had I could see his point. Never mind, Wilson got what he wanted by getting him out of the club and we went from strength to strength.

He was our best player in 98/99 and by the summer Wilson was trying to get rid of the remaining fancy dan, sent him to play in a pre-season game a Rotherham when the majority of the first team were playing somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Most people crave Forestieri in the current side.

Carbone refused to sit on the bench - stupid thing to do but given the squad we had I could see his point. Never mind, Wilson got what he wanted by getting him out of the club and we went from strength to strength.

He was our best player in 98/99 and by the summer Wilson was trying to get rid of the remaining fancy dan, sent him to play in a pre-season game a Rotherham when the majority of the first team were playing somewhere else. 

The OP is about an ex Wednesday player who at best is self centred. A man who has reeked havoc at several clubs, as a player and a manager.

You defend him and his countryman all you like. 

You're defending the indefensible.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

The OP is about an ex Wednesday player who at best is self centred. A man who has reeked havoc at several clubs, as a player and a manager.

You defend him and his countryman all you like. 

You're defending the indefensible.

Ron Atkinson was able to control Di Canio. Carbone had 3 good seasons for us.

Richards got rid of Atkinson in spite. Wilson got rid of the Italians because he couldn't handle them and replaced them with inferior players. We got relegated and have never been seen at that level since.

As for Di Canio causing havoc at several clubs as a player - maybe Richards should have taken that into account when choosing to sign him - and subsequently choosing a manager of little top flight experience to deal with him having sacked one who could because of his personal ego trip.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Ron Atkinson was able to control Di Canio. Carbone had 3 good seasons for us.

Richards got rid of Atkinson in spite. Wilson got rid of the Italians because he couldn't handle them and replaced them with inferior players. We got relegated and have never been seen at that level since.

As for Di Canio causing havoc at several clubs as a player - maybe Richards should have taken that into account when choosing to sign him - and subsequently choosing a manager of little top flight experience to deal with him having sacked one who could because of his personal ego trip.

So who are you blaming now, Richards or Wilson, seeing as you seem to see the fancy dans as blameless.

As I said earlier, defending the indefensible. 

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

So who are you blaming now, Richards or Wilson, seeing as you seem to see the fancy dans as blameless.

As I said earlier, defending the indefensible. 

You will find I have blamed them both in this thread. Were Di Canio and Carbone model professionals or us, of curse not but many footballers are like that and need strong managers.

You say Di Canio had a history of causing havoc so surely Richards should have done his home work when choosing to splash out a club record fee on him?

You talk about Di Canio being self-centred - Richards left us in the slide for personal gain and has never looked back.

Wilson meanwhile guided us to relegation and no club has since deemed him capable to manage at the top level, which isn't really a surprise.

He couldnt wait for his next money bags and attention seeking move across the british isles to the capital. I really dont think he saw wednesday and sheffield as big enough for him.

I think some people are blinded by his suave italian demeaner and his silky skills.

I hate it when this topic comes up.

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I suspect we all know why he’s coming back here.

Going back to a club he walked out on, must be hard up to want to come back to tell the fans the reasons he stayed in Italy then jumped thru hoops to go to London with Arry.

Id rather have a night at bingo myself.

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You will find I have blamed them both in this thread. Were Di Canio and Carbone model professionals or us, of curse not but many footballers are like that and need strong managers.

You say Di Canio had a history of causing havoc so surely Richards should have done his home work when choosing to splash out a club record fee on him?

You talk about Di Canio being self-centred - Richards left us in the slide for personal gain and has never looked back.

Wilson meanwhile guided us to relegation and no club has since deemed him capable to manage at the top level, which isn't really a surprise.

I'll repeat myself. In case you missed the point. The OP is about one man. 

Like a few others on here tonight, I'm not blinded by his football skills. 

Neither am I blinded by Dave Richards. 

Enjoy your night with Fancy Dan, the whole reason he's doing this event is because people are foolish enough to fall for his tripe again.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I'll repeat myself. In case you missed the point. The OP is about one man. 

Like a few others on here tonight, I'm not blinded by his football skills. 

Neither am I blinded by Dave Richards. 

Enjoy your night with Fancy Dan, the whole reason he's doing this event is because people are foolish enough to fall for his tripe again.

You asked me about Wilson and Richards I replied. Topics do tend to include more than just the specific subject matter in the title from time to time.

Had you read some of my previous posts you would know that I won't be attending the event but feel free to ignore that and continue to have a dig at me for going anyway!

You asked me about Wilson and Richards I replied. Topics do tend to include more than just the specific subject matter in the title from time to time.

Had you read some of my previous posts you would know that I won't be attending the event but feel free to ignore that and continue to have a dig at me for going anyway!

With all due respect, having read your replies to me, I wouldnt dream of looking at your other posts.

I commented on Di Canio. You replied. We disagreed. That's life.

Happy new year.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs