An Evening with - Paolo DiCanio

Does anyone serious believe Di Canio was going to stay at Wednesday after pushing over the ref no matter what the club would have done?

Seems to be over looked he only joined Wednesday as he walked out on Celtic, who he joined after a bust up at Milan, who he joined after a falling out with Juventus.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Few of my mates are going. Not bothered about lining his pockets to be honest.

You know it'll be really entertaining though, that's the annoying part. I'm with you in that I'd never line his pockets, but it can't be argued that he isn't great value (comedy wise).

21 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Does anyone serious believe Di Canio was going to stay at Wednesday after pushing over the ref no matter what the club would have done?

Seems to be over looked he only joined Wednesday as he walked out on Celtic, who he joined after a bust up at Milan, who he joined after a falling out with Juventus.

Has always come around as such a level-headed individual :duntmatter: 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

You know it'll be really entertaining though, that's the annoying part. I'm with you in that I'd never line his pockets, but it can't be argued that he isn't great value (comedy wise).

I bet Sunderland fans think he's hilarious. 

:laugh:

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

32 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

He wasn't going to stay beyond that season, his serial play acting was pathetic. I hope he's booked for a turn on Wearside.

5 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Was just reading about that, had forgotten he only lasted 13 games. That many things happened during his time there it seemed way longer.

I can't be doing with any player that thinks he's bigger than his club. They can't all  be like Bobby Moore, but this guy is just a stain. His behaviour (at most clubs) renders his talent pointless.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs
  • Thanks 1

I never bought his book but I did spend 3 or 4 minutes reading a few pages in a bookshop.

All I remember is he wrote something on the lines of   'it's impossible to win trophies with a club like Sheffield Wednesday'.  He was at West Ham at this chapter in the book.

WHU have never finished higher than 3rd in the league.  Think they did it once, around 1985 ish.

We've won it 4 times, runners up once, 3rd on about 8 or 9 occasions.   I rest my case.

This thread has reminded me of a Roy Keane story about Cantona, not comparing him to Di Canio with this but just thought it was an interesting one worth sharing:

“In my early years at United, there was a players’ pool and each of us would get about £800 out of it at the end of the season for the work we’d done for the in-house magazines, the club videos,” Keane said in his autobiography, The Second Half.

“We were all on decent money and eight hundred quid wasn’t going to make or break us, so one time, we decided to put all the cheques into a hat and the last cheque out, whoever’s name was on it, got to keep all of the cheques.

“We all put our cheques in except a couple of the younger players – I think it was Becks and Gary and Phil (Neville).

“They opted out. They were new on the scene and didn’t have the money to spare, but Scholesy and Nicky Butt put their cheques in.

“I think I was the third last name out, so I got a run for my money, but the last cheque out – Eric Cantona. He’d won about sixteen grand.

“He came in the next day, there was plenty of banter – ‘Eric, you lucky b------!’ F------ money to money.’

“But he had got somebody to cash the cheques, he’d split the money in two and he gave it to Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt because, he said, the two of them had the balls to go into it when they couldn’t really afford it.

“The two lads took home about eight grand each.

“I just thought, ‘what a gesture.’ Nobody else would have done it.”

• Like 2

Personally I dont even know why hes coming back here as he has never had a good word to say about Wednesday so if he does say any compliments it will be hard to listen too because we all know it will be complete bolllox, anyway he always speaks highly about West Ham and Harry Redknapp, the same Harry that said he should be kicked out of football for what he did, bet rosie really said that though.

Edited by TaxiMark
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Hinchcliffe’s appearances are nowhere near as poor as people make out. 80ish In 3 years I think.

4 years. Must have been just coincidence that in the 2 years he was with us in the top flight he made around 70 appearances and then as soon as we got relegated the injuries started to kick in and he made 10 appearances in the next 2 seasons. 

When he played he played well.

1 hour ago, East Yorks Owl said:

All about ifs and buts, but I reckon DiCanio would have become a Wednesday great had Ron Atkinson remained our permanent manager instead of giving the role to Danny Wilson.  DiCanio was obviously a flawed genius, but for me he was the most technically gifted player I’ve seen in a Wednesday shirt.  His first touch and composure on the ball was for me, pure joy.

Probably not far off - Big Ron could handle the likes of Di Canio and Carbone and they clearly responded well to him, as but Wilson hadn’t a clue.

Just another error from Richards - axing Ron just when we really needed him.