An Evening with - Paolo DiCanio

4 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

No pal youve mis understood me here i mentioned lies in an ironic way to di canio saying sheffield was a dump ...part of it obviously can be true but like i said you could say it about any city.

Its been ages since I read it but Im sure he mentions about it was full of shops borded up or something...maybe PDC lived in Page Hall.

Sorry about that.

Yes, he did mention full of shops boarded up - think he stated it was the first impression he got as he drove into the city for the first time rather than giving the impression that the whole place is a dump - think you have taken it too much to heart to be honest.

6 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Agreed.  That was the point I was trying to make but you made the case better than I. 

I remember away at Spurs (we won 3-0). 

The warm up was worth the cost of the trip, Carbone and DiCanio doing tricks between themselves was a joy to see. 

• Like 1

I find it interesting how the infamous incident always gets compared with the Cantona thing. Don't forget, Ferguson immediately suspended Cantona for the rest of the season (it happened in January), the FA later increased it to 8 months. Di Canio got an 11 match ban by the FA, and was allowed to spend time in Italy by Wednesday but he failed to return when his ban ended. 

These are Andy Hinchcliffe's thoughts from when it happened, and bear in mind this is Hinchcliffe, a former player that doesn't exactly go out of his way to compliment the club:

With sections of the media and public outraged, Sheffield Wednesday and their manager Danny Wilson found themselves at the centre of a scandal. "It was all anyone was talking about," says Hinchcliffe. "Danny was someone who liked to keep things ticking over under the radar. Suddenly there was this big explosion and it was very difficult to manage."

Di Canio was banned for 11 games. Wednesday decided not to appeal the suspension. "The problems really kicked in after that. I think the rest of the players saw it as a one-off and wanted to move on. We hoped Paolo would feel the same because we needed him. I don't know what Paolo expected, but he started to train separately and he brought his own fitness guy in with him.

"I don't know why he felt that the club should have done more because clearly when you do something like that, of course the club wasn't going to appeal the ban. There was no moral grounds on which to do it. Paolo seemed to think the club could've done more and it petered out. He went to West Ham."

Di Canio can flip right off in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, squonk said:

What has Cantona got to do with anything ? im sick of this diversionary tactic being used to excuse DiCanio 

He brought everything onto himself with his own actions and then acted totally unprofessionally 

There was an FA spokesman who made a statement at the time that said had the club not punished DiCanio then his ban would probably have been much longer 

DiCanio wasn't a child he wasn't a young pro even, yet the Club who he hurt with his actions were supposed to mollycoddle the arsehole 

He needed a steep fine by the club and dealing with in house by a strong manager and Chairman ( we had neither). What he didn't need is being hung out to dry by the club to enchance a certain persons creditations for a very senior position with the FA. Di Canio was way out of line to do what he did but the whole situation was appallingly dealt with by the club.  

I love a Di Canio argument

lol

The thing is everyone is right to an extent. The club didn't manage the Alcock incident very well, he was hung out to dry by Wilson and Richards and to that extent they let him down...

However, HE pushed over a ref FFS!! Even in the modern era of bellendery, I've never seen anyone else do something like that... Not only that but he then went absent without leave and refused to come back to the job he was paid for, forcing through his cut price move to West Ham.

On his day he was probably the best player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt, he was however a self obsessed fruitloop.

8 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

I love a Di Canio argument

lol

The thing is everyone is right to an extent. The club didn't manage the Alcock incident very well, he was hung out to dry by Wilson and Richards and to that extent they let him down...

However, HE pushed over a ref FFS!! Even in the modern era of bellendery, I've never seen anyone else do something like that... Not only that but he then went absent without leave and refused to come back to the job he was paid for, forcing through his cut price move to West Ham.

On his day he was probably the best player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt, he was however a self obsessed fruitloop.

Push maybe. If that was in a match today Alcock would have got a red for diving

9 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

I find it interesting how the infamous incident always gets compared with the Cantona thing. Don't forget, Ferguson immediately suspended Cantona for the rest of the season (it happened in January), the FA later increased it to 8 months. Di Canio got an 11 match ban by the FA, and was allowed to spend time in Italy by Wednesday but he failed to return when his ban ended. 

These are Andy Hinchcliffe's thoughts from when it happened, and bear in mind this is Hinchcliffe, a former player that doesn't exactly go out of his way to compliment the club:

With sections of the media and public outraged, Sheffield Wednesday and their manager Danny Wilson found themselves at the centre of a scandal. "It was all anyone was talking about," says Hinchcliffe. "Danny was someone who liked to keep things ticking over under the radar. Suddenly there was this big explosion and it was very difficult to manage."

Di Canio was banned for 11 games. Wednesday decided not to appeal the suspension. "The problems really kicked in after that. I think the rest of the players saw it as a one-off and wanted to move on. We hoped Paolo would feel the same because we needed him. I don't know what Paolo expected, but he started to train separately and he brought his own fitness guy in with him.

"I don't know why he felt that the club should have done more because clearly when you do something like that, of course the club wasn't going to appeal the ban. There was no moral grounds on which to do it. Paolo seemed to think the club could've done more and it petered out. He went to West Ham."

Di Canio can flip right off in my opinion.

Has Hinchcliffe got any thoughts on the exorbitant wages he was getting paid for being continually injured or the win bonuses that Jonk got paid even when he wasn't playing?

The club was badly managed on and off the field at that time and how it panned out in that period says it all.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Has Hinchcliffe got any thoughts on the exorbitant wages he was getting paid for being continually injured or the win bonuses that Jonk got paid even when he wasn't playing?

The club was badly managed on and off the field at that time and how it panned out in that period says it all.

Probably not, but not really sure how that makes his opinion less valid, and I don't even like the guy.

3 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

And everyone will blame Danny Wilson

The same Wilson that labelled them fancy dans for a defeat before this happened? Top manager.

PDC wanted the club the bend over backwards and go overboard to protect him...he is just a very mardy spoilt bloke then and probably now.

Look at the things hes got upto since ...broke into Swindon Town, Nazi salute, the list goes on.

I have no interest in him since he left, the club getting nothing and playing for WHU weeks later after he came out with excuses for not turning up for the Leicester game.

Great player but overshadowed by his awful selfish attitude.

2 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Probably not, but not really sure how that makes his opinion less valid, and I don't even like the guy.

Doesn't make his opinion any less valid but helps to paint a picture of how badly the club was being run and so suggests that the club wasn't handling anything very well at that time.

Just now, TaxiMark said:

PDC wanted the club the bend over backwards and go overboard to protect him...he is just a very mardy spoilt bloke then and probably now.

Look at the things hes got upto since ...broke into Swindon Town, Nazi salute, the list goes on.

I have no interest in him since he left, the club getting nothing and playing for WHU weeks later after he came out with excuses for not turning up for the Leicester game.

Great player but overshadowed by his awful selfish attitude.

Kicking Leon Clarke up the arse was funny though

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Hinchcliffe’s appearances are nowhere near as poor as people make out. 80ish In 3 years I think.