An Evening with - Paolo DiCanio

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Err, he was banned and his own employers gave him no support whatsoever as they wanted rid of the 'Fancy Dans'!

Errr he refused to come back and keep himself fit citing a doctor as proof that he couldn't fly yet gave an extended interview to the Beeb whilst driving around Rome on a feeerrrkin Vespa

And remind me again who was it who pushed the Ref over ?

Was it Dave Richards , Danny Willson ?

One of the best players i've seen in a Wednesday Shirt but also one of the biggest sheeites

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yes, he said it about some of the parts of Rome as well, I doubt many Romans hold it against him to this day.

Fair enough he didn't need to say it but it's not as if it wasn't true of certain parts.

Oh so Rome is a shithole too then ? 

My point was, there is just no need to say it because every city has good and bad areas...and as a person who was on a decent wage and was always in the Ecclesall area I bet he hardly saw Page Hall or the Bramall Lane areas of Sheffield...just a thick thing to say really .

6 minutes ago, squonk said:

Errr he refused to come back and keep himself fit citing a doctor as proof that he couldn't fly yet gave an extended interview to the Beeb whilst driving around Rome on a feeerrrkin Vespa

And remind me again who was it who pushed the Ref over ?

Was it Dave Richards , Danny Willson ?

One of the best players i've seen in a Wednesday Shirt but also one of the biggest sheeites

Cantona attacked a fan, his club supported him. 

Wednesday couldn't wait to get rid of Di Canio and Carbone under Wilson. At least that worked out well for us.

2 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Oh so Rome is a shithole too then ? 

My point was, there is just no need to say it because every city has good and bad areas...and as a person who was on a decent wage and was always in the Ecclesall area I bet he hardly saw Page Hall or the Bramall Lane areas of Sheffield...just a thick thing to say really .

What exactly was it that he said?

Just now, TaxiMark said:

Will probably not show up and send Danny Wilson as his stand in .

That will be as entertaining as it was to watch him dismantle us.

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Cantona attacked a fan, his club supported him. 

Wednesday couldn't wait to get rid of Di Canio and Carbone under Wilson. At least that worked out well for us.

What has Cantona got to do with anything ? im sick of this diversionary tactic being used to excuse DiCanio 

He brought everything onto himself with his own actions and then acted totally unprofessionally 

There was an FA spokesman who made a statement at the time that said had the club not punished DiCanio then his ban would probably have been much longer 

DiCanio wasn't a child he wasn't a young pro even, yet the Club who he hurt with his actions were supposed to mollycoddle the arsehole 

Edited by squonk

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

What exactly was it that he said?

Are you going to the city hall? if so ask him lol

Was in his book but cant remember which one it was now but he slated the lovely city of Sheffield off and ive had sleepless nights ever since!

All lies you see.

All about ifs and buts, but I reckon DiCanio would have become a Wednesday great had Ron Atkinson remained our permanent manager instead of giving the role to Danny Wilson.  DiCanio was obviously a flawed genius, but for me he was the most technically gifted player I’ve seen in a Wednesday shirt.  His first touch and composure on the ball was for me, pure joy.

19 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Sold us down the river . Great player but will never be a player I look back on and say he was Wednesday through and through. Think Paulo looked after Paulo. 

Thats modern day football, sadly. 

Be was an outstanding player, may have been a total cocktip though. 

But as has always been said, Cantona was a helmet, but Fergie stood by him and reaped the dividends. 

Coincidentally, wasnt Fergie chasing DiCanio like a dog on heat when he was at Wet Spam.? 

4 minutes ago, squonk said:

What has Cantona got to do with anything ? im sick of this diversionary tactic being used to excuse DiCanio 

He brought everything onto himself with his own actions and then acted totally unprofessionally 

There was an FA spokesman who made a statement at the time that said had the club not punished DiCanio then his ban would probably have been much longer 

DiCanio wasn't a child he wasn't a young pro even, yet the Club who he hurt with his actions were supposed to mollycoddle the arsehole 

The club banned him on the TV interview straight after the match, thoroughly professional way of supporting your player. At least Sir Dave went on to bigger and better things as a result though eh.

Of course he deserved punishment but we wanted him gone and the next summer we saw Carbone off as well. 

4 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Are you going to the city hall? if so ask him lol

Was in his book but cant remember which one it was now but he slated the lovely city of Sheffield off and ive had sleepless nights ever since!

All lies you see.

No, I won't be paying £28 to listen to him talk. Glad I was able to pay to watch him play though.

Not sure why you mention lies, I've never denied it as I know he slagged Sheffield off, just trying to put it into context. I've got the book, will dig it out.

5 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

Thats modern day football, sadly. 

Be was an outstanding player, may have been a total cocktip though. 

But as has always been said, Cantona was a helmet, but Fergie stood by him and reaped the dividends. 

Coincidentally, wasnt Fergie chasing DiCanio like a dog on heat when he was at Wet Spam.? 

Top badge kisser though I seem to recall.

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

No, I won't be paying £28 to listen to him talk. Glad I was able to pay to watch him play though.

Not sure why you mention lies, I've never denied it as I know he slagged Sheffield off, just trying to put it into context. I've got the book, will dig it out.

No pal youve mis understood me here i mentioned lies in an ironic way to di canio saying sheffield was a dump ...part of it obviously can be true but like i said you could say it about any city.

Its been ages since I read it but Im sure he mentions about it was full of shops borded up or something...maybe PDC lived in Page Hall.

Edited by TaxiMark

34 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

The most technically gifted player I've seen at hillsborough, even more so than Waddle.

He was a good player, but nowhere near the same league as Waddle.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

1 minute ago, Neal M said:

He was a good player, but nowhere near the same league as Waddle.

Oh I agree.  Waddle was a stunning team player and great talent. My view is that Di Canio was the most naturally gifted technical player ive seen at swfc but he wasn't a team player. It was all about him.