87th minute subs...

7 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

Enlighten me. Who's being slated? 

Bullen was slated on here for making his changes against WBA. Go and have a look in the match threads and other sub threads from the other day. 

Today he's got it wrong again. Slated maybe the wrong word. Put people are loving jumping in with their shoulda woulda coulda totally  unprovable facts and outcomes as to what would have happened if the subs and timings of them had gone the way they wanted. 

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

Quite easy to answer really, Wednesday looked like the side more likely to take the lead so taking boyd or Fletch off in the 65 min would have been stupid really...players like Winnall need to be slowly brought back.

Bullen called it right for me today.

I'm not saying the 65th minute though. 75th or even 80th. You have to let the subs to get up to speed with the game. If we were 2-0 up then yes leave it alone, However if you want to get all three points and get up the league then surely you use your arsenal! Especially when their defence is blowing out of their arses. 

I personally thought he did call it wrong, and that though on top, from about 75' we were looking tired, understandably.

Fletcher confirmed again that he is one of the best players we have had in the post-2000 era but he had run his face some time before he left.

But it can only be speculation whether we would have done better or worse, and in those final 7 (3+4) minutes we looked really dangerous: he's entitled to argue he's made a fair call.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Bullen was slated on here for making his changes against WBA. Go and have a look in the match threads and other sub threads from the other day. 

Today he's got it wrong again. Slated maybe the wrong word. Put people are loving jumping in with their shoulda woulda coulda totally  unprovable facts and outcomes as to what would have happened if the subs and timings of them had gone the way they wanted. 

I'd not seen anything re WBA so can't comment and i was away so didn't go. 

I think it's called people's opinions mate.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

I'm not saying the 65th minute though. 75th or even 80th. You have to let the subs to get up to speed with the game. If we were 2-0 up then yes leave it alone, However if you want to get all three points and get up the league then surely you use your arsenal! Especially when their defence is blowing out of their arses. 

But we were on top in the 75th 80th min mark, why bring on a player whos been out for months just to get match fit ? Its bonkers logic...bullen waited till fletch and Boyd were shattered.

5 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

I'd not seen anything re WBA so can't comment and i was away so didn't go. 

I think it's called people's opinions mate.

True enough Bluey,  true enough. 

Just think we're nitpicking a bit considering our sides confidence was in its arris 2 weeks ago and we had no set system of play or tactics and we're in free fall towards the relegation trapdoor.

I get that some people would like to have see  changes made earlier. But they don't live with the results of those substitutions.  

I know many people will be thinking about it as points lost (and don't get me wrong we should have won) but I can understand why he didn't mix things up. When you've been on the perilous slide we've been you have to ensure you don't risk throwing the match.  I suspect he had the previous game in mind when thinking about the changes. Especially as though under no great pressure we were giving plenty of set pieces away.

Just now, TaxiMark said:

But we were on top in the 75th 80th min mark, why bring on a player whos been out for months just to get match fit ? Its bonkers logic...bullen waited till fletch and Boyd were shattered.

Fletcher was shattered from 70 minutes. He gave everything he had so what's the difference bringing on a player who is getting back match fit than one who is blowing out of his arse? 

1 hour ago, Bigblueowl said:

What's the point in giving them 3 mins plus injury time? 

Winnall touched the ball once, Atty had an impact but not on the pitch long enough. Their defence was knackered! We could have smashed them off the park if the changes were made on 75 mins or so. 

Great effort all the same just a tad annoying that we didn't finish them off when we had the players on the bench to do it. 

Sometimes it's a balance against a settled team...

14 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

Fletcher was shattered from 70 minutes. He gave everything he had so what's the difference bringing on a player who is getting back match fit than one who is blowing out of his arse? 

We were looking like we could score though ...

Going round in circles here.

All Ill say is well done Bullen for another good performance in his 4th game and undefeated too.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Blimey.

Slated for bringing Winnall on last match as we lost the hold up play and he missed the header for WBA's equaliser.

Slated today for not bringing him on earlier. 

Is this what they call a no win situation?

If I read that correctly two draws are two no win situations.

Wasn’t at W.B.A. but thought today cried out for fresh attacking legs from 70 minutes on. 

I was amazed Bully left it so late to try to punish their tiring defence who were riding their luck big time once Atde came on.

I would never slate Bullen who’s been a breath of fresh air. Just felt we should have had that win (situation) today.

I think when to make the subs was a very tough call. 

Making subs can go either way, especially when we were losing a midfielder and changing to 442

Yep a more experienced manager, more confident in his decision making with a confident set of players might have done it earlier but for Bullen and the players it is like starting from scratch as far as this season and having played like we had, really getting the crowd onside I can understand why he was frightened of doing something that lost us the game.

My thoughts are that the manager was not confident that the subs available, would have more influence than those on the pitch With time running out, and Birmingham defending deeper, he probably thought it was worth taking that gamble

13 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I think when to make the subs was a very tough call. 

Making subs can go either way, especially when we were losing a midfielder and changing to 442

I agree it's a tough call. 

However I think Winnall and Atdhe could have come on for Boyd and Fletcher without changing formation and we would have still carried a goal threat. 

Equally Fletcher could have stayed on to the end and been on hand to put away one of the chances we had. 

It's the double sub on 87 minutes I don't get.  Thats what you do when you are defending a lead not when you are trying to win a game.