Man of the match & scores Birmingham (h)

Man of the match  

455 members have voted

1. 1. Your top performer

• Westwood
    • Palmer
    • Fox
    • Hutchinson
    • Lees
    • Hector
    • Boyd
    • Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Reach
    • Matias
    • Nuhiu
    • Winnall

Westwood 6 - Not much to do but kicking was off today

Palmer 7 - Got better as the game went on. Solid performance 

Hector 7 - Great first half. At fault for goal

Lees 7- Looks so much better since Jos has gone

Fox 7 - Same as Palmer

Boyd 8 - His best game in a Wednesday shirt. Never stopped running, popped up in dangerous positions

Hutchinson 8 - best player in the league in that position. Made 3 crucial interceptions in the first 5 minutes

Banan 7.5- Liked seeing him play further forward, can get even better playing there regular

Reach 7.5- Again never stopped running, always threatening, just needs to work on that final pass

Matias 6 - Works hard but doesn’t offer enough going forward

Fletcher 9- Fantastic performance from a lone striker. Worked hard, never have there CBs a minutes peace, on another day could have added to his 1 goal. 

So many contenders for MoM today. That was the first game I've genuinely enjoyed watching for ages.

I've given it Boyd for his gazelle like application. That's the best I've seen him play for this club. 

Saying that it was a close call with Fletch, Bazza and Hector in the frame. A good all round team performance and also good positivity from the fans. 

28 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Westwood 6 - Not much to do but kicking was off today

Palmer 7 - Got better as the game went on. Solid performance 

Hector 7 - Great first half. At fault for goal

Lees 7- Looks so much better since Jos has gone

Fox 7 - Same as Palmer

Boyd 8 - His best game in a Wednesday shirt. Never stopped running, popped up in dangerous positions

Hutchinson 8 - best player in the league in that position. Made 3 crucial interceptions in the first 5 minutes

Banan 7.5- Liked seeing him play further forward, can get even better playing there regular

Reach 7.5- Again never stopped running, always threatening, just needs to work on that final pass

Matias 6 - Works hard but doesn’t offer enough going forward

Fletcher 9- Fantastic performance from a lone striker. Worked hard, never have there CBs a minutes peace, on another day could have added to his 1 goal. 

Totally agree re BB, he’s a much effective/dangerous player when he’s in the opponent’s half rather than our own. I’d like to see him playing further forward still, even in a front 3 with FF and Hooper/Fletch (maybe in a Messi kind of role....!)

2 hours ago, torres said:

Fletcher was outstanding with not enough support around him at times in my opinion 

Hutchinson showed what he can be when he manages himself and the game correctly 

Matias and Boyd did some right running without a great deal coming off 

I thought Bannan was a bit hit and miss at times for his high standards 

Bar 10 daft minutes the central pair in defence looked ok against 2 hard working strikers 

Palmer again was decent without having that little bit of quality at the decisive times 

I thought Reach didn’t do a great deal today and I’m still not convinced with him in that position 

Fox for all this current love in wasn’t great in my opinion either. 

This period under Bullen has set the standard of hard working and purpose within the team - the task is to improve on the quality in the final 3rd and finish games off we should be winning 

That's an honest appraisal. I think Fox and Reach were ok in game.

You did not mention Westwood who had next to nothing to do, his kicking was poor and not surprisingly looks as if needs some games.

7 minutes ago, Quist said:

That's an honest appraisal. I think Fox and Reach were ok in game.

You did not mention Westwood who had next to nothing to do, his kicking was poor and not surprisingly looks as if needs some games.

Even with the big crowd you could hear Westwood shouting/organising/demanding effort. 

Next to nothing to do in the game but has a big impact on the team in my opinion 

2 minutes ago, torres said:

Even with the big crowd you could hear Westwood shouting/organising/demanding effort. 

Next to nothing to do in the game but has a big impact on the team in my opinion 

He did not move well, think needs games. I stayed at home and watched on box so missed point you made. When team conceded defence went wobbly for 5 minutes and shows how fragile confidence is. I was delighted they got it back together I presume Westwood played part in settling them down.

Westwood - 6 - Another quiet day at the office. Not sure he's had a real save to make since returning. Sums up our dominance. 

Palmer - 7 - Did well today on the whole. Defended aggressively up against Maghoma, and showed real anticipation and positivity when he's usually lazy and hesitant. Final ball a major issue though, gets so much space, but his delivery and composure is somewhat lacking. 

Lees - 6 - For the majority of the game, he dealt with Brum's front two well enough. But lost a crucial header for the goal, and went to pot for 10 minutes after the goal. 

Hector - 6 - Similar to Lees really. Thought he was brilliant in the 1st half, the way he went toe-to-toe with Jutkiewicz physically, and came out on top. But lack of positioning/concentration cost us dearly for the goal. Despite our dominance, those two errors from our centre halves have cost us two points today. 

Fox - 7 - Decent game...again. Defended well against Jota, and kept him very quiet. Couple of really nice crosses in which should've been attacked better. Looking much more assured...amazing what a bit of confidence can do. 

Hutchinson - 7 - Steady shielding display, with a few brilliant bits of defending. Namely his crunching tackle ( I could see a red card happening as he went charging towards the Brum player) in the 1st half, and the brilliant tracking of Harding down their right flank in the 2nd half. Looking far more restrained...which is a good thing. No more Mr. Liability. 

Bannan - 7 - On the whole, it was probably a frustrating game for Bannan. Considering our dominance, he'd probably have had wanted to dictate things a bit more than he did. But there was still some sumptuous moments of brilliance today.

Reach - 7 - Technically, he's looking better and better each week. He looks like a player who could now step up and perform in the Premier League. Takes the ball down in his stride effortlessly, and does the simple things very, very well. Perhaps missing those bits of quality in the danger areas today, but nonetheless, another fine display.

Boyd - 8 - Man of the Match - His best display for Wednesday (not that there was much to go on), but his energy levels, considering the length of time he's been absent was miraculous. Continually made dangerous runs in behind Birmingham's defence. Exposed the space left by Colin in the 1st half, and switched it around in the 2nd half, and consistently made runs across the defence in behind their right back. Great performance. 

Matias - 7 - Another hard working display with constant runs in behind, similar to Boyd. Again, similar to Reach, just missing those interactions in the danger areas. He's in good form at the minute though.

Fletcher - 8 - Superb display, and a fine effort leading the line. Had a tough task against physical, centre halves with little help from the referee. But plucked away, and took his goal superbly. Should've scored the header in the 2nd half, but worked so hard, chasing lost causes throughout. 

Overall...very encouraging display. Thought it was a proper football match today. Birmingham are a tough, physical outfit, especially down the spine of the team...and we absolutely matched (and surpassed) them in that respect. Tactically we were superb in the 1st half, and exposed Birmingham's flanks with energetic runners. Monk must've got right into them at the break, because they came out like raging bull's, and we just didn't wake up to it quick enough. A sloppy start, and a really poor goal from our point of view at the beginning of the 2nd half cost us two points. After that, we continued to cause Birmingham problems, but poor finishing and a lack of composure cost us. 

But, I'm sure Bruce will be very pleased with what he's coming in to, and full credit to Bullen for that. A fortnight ago, I, and a lot of us, were worried, that by waiting for Bruce to arrive, could see us deep in a relegation battle by the time he arrived. No need to worry about that now. There's a good squad of players there, who lost their way. With a bit of belief and a different mindset, we look a completely different side. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cowl said:

I've gone with Boyd. Easily the best he's played for us and actually looked more like the player I thought we were signing.

There were a fair few noteworthy performances though: both full backs, Hutchinson, Matias (especially first half) and Fletcher all stood out too. Hector and Lees both did very well overall although the goal we conceded has to count somewhat against them.

It's been a great 4 games, and we really should've had 12 points. 8 points will more than do though.

8 points would do if we were in amongst it but as we're playing catch up 12 given the winning positions in both drawn games were a must if we are to cut the gap.

8 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Goal was nothing to do with Palmer , Lees got beat in the air and Adams rolled Hector to easily .

My mistake, I was sat low down on the Kop, I thought it was Palmer who got beaten.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Westwood 6 nowt to do

Palmer 7

Lees 7

Hector 7 would be 8 but got done for goal

Fox 7

Hutchinson 8 proving how much of a muppet Jos was

Reach 6 should have scored at the end

Bannan 7

Boyd 8 see Hutch 

Matias 7 so important to the way we are playing 

Fletcher 7 could have had more than one

Nuhiu 6

Winnall 6

Subs almost won the game for us.  Excellent performance but peed off that we didn’t win. That game isa perfect example of why we will be nowhere near the play offs at the end of the season.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fletcher for me, top notch again. Work rate throughout, making the defenders work, hold up play and getting into scoring positions.

3 games in under 2 weeks when the previous manager was reluctant to play him 3 times in 3 months.

Bit of a weird comment. Fletcher has played pretty regularly under Jos to be fair. I think the point you are trying to make is starting continuous games??

Westwood 6 nowt really to do. His kicking has managed to get even worse though, it really is dire . 

Palmer 7 he played well, effort was there , defended brilliantly , he just makes stupid choices ie blasting it across goal at 300 mph after getting into a great position . Could have easily been a 9 performance today 

lees 6 bit of a gaff for their goal , has improved in recent weeks 

hector 7 dominating performance , can play a bit too . The type of defensive signing we should have been making under clueless.shame like lees he switched off for the goal , rating would have been higher 

fox 7 he’s improved , again full of effort and certainly not afraid . Will always lack In quality a bit but generally impressive .

Matias 7 good player, fantastic engine and not afraid to get stuck in 

reach 6 quiet, sometimes struts too much 

bannan 6.5 decent but a few too many Hollywood balls which wasted possession . 

Hutchinson 8 bossed the midfield , maybe I was wrong . Seems to be a bit of life in him yet . 

Boyd 8 shaded it for my man of the match . Cracking work rate , rolled back the years with endless running and showed that extra quality on the ball 

fletcher 8 great performance , great goal ,  could have had more 

• Haha 1

Westwood 6 -  He wasnt really tested. Nice return of a more commanding keeper, something we have been missing 

Fox 5 -  I'm not a Fox boo-boy or anything but he's just not any good is he. Was the only person who was noticeably poor for me

Hector 7.5 -  Really impressed with how composed he is. His height is a massive plus too. Looks composed and never seems to flap at anything. First time i've felt confident in a centre half for a while

Lees 5.5 - He is starting to look a bit like Loovens. Slow and a bit dodgy. Not a terrible game but not great. Not as confident with him as I was a year or so ago.

Palmer 8 -  Massive improvement in multiple areas. Looked hungry, quick, good going forward.

Hutch 8 - Solid, classic Hutch 

Bannan 8 - Usual Bannan, all over the place, gets stuck in too

Reach 7 - Some good chances that weren't taken. Decent game but not as noticeable as some of the others

Matias 7.5 - Looks really fit. So much leaner than he has been in previous years. Think we are starting to see a good player now that we are getting more game time out of him. Fitting in a lot better. 

Boyd 8.5 - Was all lover the pitch, looked quick and getting in behind the defence a lot. Stayed on his feet more than he usually does too!

Fletcher 8 - Worked very hard. Looked strong, hungry and again quite fit. Great goal too

15 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Westwood - 6 - Another quiet day at the office. Not sure he's had a real save to make since returning. Sums up our dominance. 

Palmer - 7 - Did well today on the whole. Defended aggressively up against Maghoma, and showed real anticipation and positivity when he's usually lazy and hesitant. Final ball a major issue though, gets so much space, but his delivery and composure is somewhat lacking. 

Lees - 6 - For the majority of the game, he dealt with Brum's front two well enough. But lost a crucial header for the goal, and went to pot for 10 minutes after the goal. 

Hector - 6 - Similar to Lees really. Thought he was brilliant in the 1st half, the way he went toe-to-toe with Jutkiewicz physically, and came out on top. But lack of positioning/concentration cost us dearly for the goal. Despite our dominance, those two errors from our centre halves have cost us two points today. 

Fox - 7 - Decent game...again. Defended well against Jota, and kept him very quiet. Couple of really nice crosses in which should've been attacked better. Looking much more assured...amazing what a bit of confidence can do. 

Hutchinson - 7 - Steady shielding display, with a few brilliant bits of defending. Namely his crunching tackle ( I could see a red card happening as he went charging towards the Brum player) in the 1st half, and the brilliant tracking of Harding down their right flank in the 2nd half. Looking far more restrained...which is a good thing. No more Mr. Liability. 

Bannan - 7 - On the whole, it was probably a frustrating game for Bannan. Considering our dominance, he'd probably have had wanted to dictate things a bit more than he did. But there was still some sumptuous moments of brilliance today.

Reach - 7 - Technically, he's looking better and better each week. He looks like a player who could now step up and perform in the Premier League. Takes the ball down in his stride effortlessly, and does the simple things very, very well. Perhaps missing those bits of quality in the danger areas today, but nonetheless, another fine display.

Boyd - 8 - Man of the Match - His best display for Wednesday (not that there was much to go on), but his energy levels, considering the length of time he's been absent was miraculous. Continually made dangerous runs in behind Birmingham's defence. Exposed the space left by Colin in the 1st half, and switched it around in the 2nd half, and consistently made runs across the defence in behind their right back. Great performance. 

Matias - 7 - Another hard working display with constant runs in behind, similar to Boyd. Again, similar to Reach, just missing those interactions in the danger areas. He's in good form at the minute though.

Fletcher - 8 - Superb display, and a fine effort leading the line. Had a tough task against physical, centre halves with little help from the referee. But plucked away, and took his goal superbly. Should've scored the header in the 2nd half, but worked so hard, chasing lost causes throughout. 

Overall...very encouraging display. Thought it was a proper football match today. Birmingham are a tough, physical outfit, especially down the spine of the team...and we absolutely matched (and surpassed) them in that respect. Tactically we were superb in the 1st half, and exposed Birmingham's flanks with energetic runners. Monk must've got right into them at the break, because they came out like raging bull's, and we just didn't wake up to it quick enough. A sloppy start, and a really poor goal from our point of view at the beginning of the 2nd half cost us two points. After that, we continued to cause Birmingham problems, but poor finishing and a lack of composure cost us. 

But, I'm sure Bruce will be very pleased with what he's coming in to, and full credit to Bullen for that. A fortnight ago, I, and a lot of us, were worried, that by waiting for Bruce to arrive, could see us deep in a relegation battle by the time he arrived. No need to worry about that now. There's a good squad of players there, who lost their way. With a bit of belief and a different mindset, we look a completely different side. 

Excellent appraisal that, can't disagree with any of it.........and I'm not sorry for quoting it. lol

• Thanks 1

Westwood -6 Some of his passing second half was wick
Palmer - 6 Just cant cross, but works super hard

Fox - 7 Definitely can cross, but what was he doing when he let the ball bounce, shielded it and then turned the midfielder - worked out, but could have been soooo bad. 

Hector - 8 Hes like McGrath - always in the right place

Lees -7 Solid

Hutchinson - 8 So good to have him back

Bannan - 7 some of his passes were off, but he made up for that with some cracking tackles

Reach - 6 Kept running into players and passes were a little off

Boyd - 7 ran his socks off with some touches of quality

Matias - 7 solid first half, went missing in the second

Fletcher - 8 Great finish for the goal, pity he couldn't grab the second. Worked hard

Edited by Daizan10

23 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Tried to go back and watch again as seen it twice stated Liam was at fault? I thought their CB launched long ball down middle that Lees lost out and Adams ran off Hector on flick on. How Liam stops that I don’t know. 

Agree 100% his crosses left a bit to be desired bat times but no way was goal his fault. Lees beaten in air and Hector turned all too easily.

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2019 at 21:13, frastheowl said:

Agree totally 100% spot on analysis!

• Thanks 1