Liam Palmer was magnificent today

He had a good defensively sound game. he also got into correct areas going forward. his crossing improved as game went on, think forwards could have gambled more with some of later crosses. Decent all round performance.

I think side is benefiting from a settled back four, chopping and changing is no good for anyone.

43 minutes ago, Owl in Nottingham said:

He played well. Not magnificently.

Crossing is poor. Rest of his game good except the odd weak clearance right into the wrong spot. 

A great cross in the first half and an even better one at the Kop end that fizzed across the 6 yard box.

Both full backs benefiting from Westwoods constant instructions.

Excellent is pushing it a bit, I’d expect a fullback to at least deliver some crosses close to the mark. Also, a poor touch conceded possession and ultimately led to their goal - although harsh to pin it on him entirely. 

Worked the hardest I’ve seen him work. That needs to be the benchmark for effort.

For me, that was a 7/10 performance from him.

Edited by McRightSide

Think he’s always had the potential to be a good full back but often wasn’t sharp enough to get back either into his own position or to fill in behind other defenders. If only he was more two footed he would have the option to cut back onto his left foot and deliver a different in swinging cross. Get the feeling he thinks he’s the finished article which he isn’t. This applies to a lot of players who don’t see the need to keep learning. IMHO.

53 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

I notice that Jack Hunt got another assist today too to add to the one he got at the weekend, both were quality crosses. 

He has only got back in the side recently , I think the other guy is Injured . 

Good player.

never understood the bashers.

miles better than baker which is why we are looking a better side.

were playing our best players in their best

positions.

2 hours ago, itsonmyhead said:

If he could cross consistently he’d be a good player

And thats his major weakness. His final ball more often than not is hit and hope it finds one of ours. However is overall play has improved recently and he deserves credit for that.

2 hours ago, sternlad said:

Think he’s always had the potential to be a good full back but often wasn’t sharp enough to get back either into his own position or to fill in behind other defenders. If only he was more two footed he would have the option to cut back onto his left foot and deliver a different in swinging cross. Get the feeling he thinks he’s the finished article which he isn’t. This applies to a lot of players who don’t see the need to keep learning. IMHO.

How do you know that Palmer thinks he doesn’t need to learn? Have you spent time with him or has he told you that? 

People need to be careful about what they state. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Thanks 1

I think I must have watched a different game today. Wasn’t impressed with Palmer, again. 

Crossing, bar one on 75mins, was woeful, in general he’s weak in a challenge and doesn’t score, but gets into some great positions. I seem to notice that, again for their goal, he’s slow at tracking back and gives up too easily. Might be me being over critical, but he’s been at the club a long time and never grabbed that left back position for himself whether due to lack of competition, long term injury (can’t think of any off top of my head) or just managers 2nd choice. 

Fletcher man of match today by a country mile

31 minutes ago, shandypants said:

How do you know that Palmer thinks he doesn’t need to learn? Have you spent time with him or has he told you that? 

People need to be careful about what they state. 

‘People’ need to read more carefully.

The Poster quite clearly says it’s his opinion...which he’s entitled to