RIP Playoff Hopes

2 hours ago, dnhc said:

because our squad was put together under carlos with just the one idea in mind.

you can refer to it, explain it, or name it as you wish, but generally good closing down, solid m/f and defence,  plenty of physical effort and contact derailed it.

monk was one of the first to tumble it, though bruce did in the play off final.

keep our backline on the ball until their m/f and defence has fully formed, then allow us to come forward against a solid back 4 and a m/f 5 knowing we'd keep the ball on the ground and try and play our way through it, whilst being as physical as possible with the bannan's and ff's to silence their influence. 

we had no wingmen, we had no target men to alter tack, we had no second idea, just keep it on the ground and try and pick you way through, time, after time, after...……..time again.

Yes, I remember that first encounter with Leeds.

Monk picked the biggest midfield I think I've ever seen, and Leeds doubled up down the flanks.

Carlos argued that FF could have opened the scoring, and that to beat that type of opposition you need quick ball.

But this is the second tier.

52 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Mathematically possible, but I think we're too far off it. Had we held onto winning positions last couple of games making it 4 from 4, I'd have felt we'd have an outside shot under Bruce. Those dropped points are significant, I feel. 

We've just had 3 tough fixtures, and I guess they won't all be as difficult.

I guess it depends how many six pointers are to come.

OK, Brum was one, but we haven't lost ground on them.

If we can beat the teams above us, then we have a chance.

You'd think we'd be stronger after the window, and we're usually better in the second half.

Why post-Xmas we're usually better, I've no idea.

Current form alone over last 4 games would give us a 72 point finish. How some can say the play offs are out of sight beggars belief.

We're just building up momentum for the final push. We're sitting just right in the table at the mo, and the excitement, for me, is building. 

Well done Lee, the squad, and DC for adding an extra dose of spice to the run in. 

Guest wilyfox
19 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

We've just had 3 tough fixtures, and I guess they won't all be as difficult.

I guess it depends how many six pointers are to come.

OK, Brum was one, but we haven't lost ground on them.

If we can beat the teams above us, then we have a chance.

You'd think we'd be stronger after the window, and we're usually better in the second half.

Why post-Xmas we're usually better, I've no idea.

Hard to close an 11pt gap on teams winning regularly. Not impossible, but would take sensational form second half of season. 

13 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

Current form alone over last 4 games would give us a 72 point finish.

6th placed club (Derby) are on course for 76 pts.

We need 2.2 points per game from now on to have any chance, which would mean hitting nailed on top of the league auto promotion form.

Long shot I would think...

13 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

6th placed club (Derby) are on course for 76 pts.

We need 2.2 points per game from now on to have any chance, which would mean hitting nailed on top of the league auto promotion form.

Long shot I would think...

Fair point. That's why I said current form alone. How long since we've seen 15 shots and 7 on target. Things are going to improve on that immensely over the coming weeks, and the squad confidence.

I'd rather be where we are now, and chasing the pack, than in the mix and fretting we can't sustain it. 

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, I remember that first encounter with Leeds.

Monk picked the biggest midfield I think I've ever seen, and Leeds doubled up down the flanks.

Carlos argued that FF could have opened the scoring, and that to beat that type of opposition you need quick ball.

But this is the second tier.

he talked nackerz.

From this point last season, with 20 games left:-

Fulham P20. W15. D4. L1. Pts49

Cardiff took 43 points from their 20 games.

In our case this season we probably need to take ~ 45 more points to make 6th place.

Two teams had this sort of run last season. Our chances are slim, but not yet anorexic.

On 01/01/2019 at 17:03, debram said:

Think it may be a bridge too far, however we do have some winnable games coming up so who knows, I wouldn't bet against it.

Promotion 200/1

If the situation ran 200 times and you think we could achieve promotion within that, there's value in it.

I think we could do it within 100 so I got a tenner on! 

1 hour ago, slinger208b said:

Promotion 200/1

If the situation ran 200 times and you think we could achieve promotion within that, there's value in it.

I think we could do it within 100 so I got a tenner on! 

Good luck