1993: A few questions

16 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Its is quite possible we could meet Sheff U in a play off game in the near future. Think if we did especially the final would be just a bit bigger then the Semi final game.

In today’s game yes but back then the Cup was still a big deal we were both desperate to win and maybe that was our downfall,we’d won our biggest game ever before the final also even then the pigs were playing to reach there first final in 57 years 

48 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Its is quite possible we could meet Sheff U in a play off game in the near future. Think if we did especially the final would be just a bit bigger then the Semi final game.

It would definitely be a tense affair. Probably more to lose in a Play Off Final than an FA Cup semi final.

31 minutes ago, Eastern said:

I thought Man City was 93-94? nilssons last game?

I could be wrong though

Thats right it was 93 /94, not sure if it was Roland's last game but it was my last game as a season ticket holder. United got relegated at Chelsea lol

12 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

In today’s game yes but back then the Cup was still a big deal we were both desperate to win and maybe that was our downfall,we’d won our biggest game ever before the final also even then the pigs were playing to reach there first final in 57 years 

Yes but they've got plenty of entries on their honours board since! WTF:

14 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

The game Cup I’m convinced was lost due to injuries to all our regular centre backs. That’s not saying Carlton and warhurst played badly, Palmer was excellent but we missed him in midfield by then we knew Arsenal’s game plan Carlton would have given as good back to them and allowed shez more room . Warhurst would have given us more options wether he started or been on bench. Any two of Anderson,Pearson or shirtliff fit I think we would have won saying that we were only bright putting his foot through it from winning. Oh and it still hurts all these years later 

That was my take on it. Palmer was our engine in midfield and Warhurst, with his lightning pace and quality, was on fire up front that season.

Pearson, our inspirational captain and leader, was also a big loss for us. 

Nilsson had played for Sweden the day before the replay as well.

The one thing I would say is that I thought Francis made a mistake not bringing in another centre back much earlier (especially after shifting Warhurst up front that season). That really came back to bite us in the replay as, not only did Francis move Warhurst back to centre back but, it caused the whole Warhurst refusing to play incident.

Edited by York_Owl

Devastating that replay. Absolutely heart breaking. I went to the replay on my own as my mates were skint. I couldn't afford it but my mum bought me a train ticket, girlfriend at the time match ticket. Got on the train and it was one big party and knew loads of people from just going to games anyway.

Coming home was horrible.

I knew they'd score when they got the corner. I got up to go to the toilet as couldn't watch it. Heard the roar and dropped to my knees. I think I may have even cried or at least shed a tear. The FA Cup was everyone's dream then and to be that close. We may have lost on pens but still would have preferred that. Hard to believe that Woods did what he did. A wonderful keeper who just messed up in big games.

Will never ever get over that.

The semi was an unbelievable experience. Playing football in Wembley car park at about 5am on the day of the game - we left Sheffield at something like 1am just to get down. Even then the convoy was crazy down the M1. Going back home it was an astonishing sight. I hate that lot but both clubs did the city proud that day. Hard to believe it's 25yrs ago but will never ever forget that day. One of my best mates at the time was a snort. He literally got to his seat as Waddle scored. 

As has been said, we'd have won at least one trophy had it not been Arsenal. To play them in both finals was gutting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2