1993: A few questions

2 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Great days great memories and we were on the verge of greatness. How we threw it away i still dont know.

Replacing players like waddle and hirst and nillson was impossible. Di canio was good but with what happened only the man utd clubs of that stature can get away with keeping a player after that sort of incident

I find it unbelievable that we have done nothing since 1993  and bar a miracle we are going to be 20 years outside the top flight. 

To put it into a personal perspective. I first met my wife the week before the fa cup final and next year we celebrate our silver (25th) wedding anniversary! 

Another way of looking at it is that it is a third of a decent lifetime ago!

2 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I find it unbelievable that we have done nothing since 1993  and bar a miracle we are going to be 20 years outside the top flight. 

To put it into a personal perspective. I first met my wife the week before the fa cup final and next year we celebrate our silver (25th) wedding anniversary! 

Another way of looking at it is that it is a third of a decent lifetime ago!

Big Ron going to villa was probably the worst move for swfc and him. Francis just wasn't as experienced as Ron. Maybe big ron could have kept us up there. I know he came back but it wasnt the same

5 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Replacing players like waddle and hirst and nillson was impossible. Di canio was good but with what happened only the man utd clubs of that stature can get away with keeping a player after that sort of incident

Think the board lost its bottle just before the big money of the premier league came in. DC is the first real football rich owner we have had since those high flying days

39 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Sinton scored 2 on his debut at st james Park. I dont think he scored again. 3 million quid for a right footed left winger. We thought he was the final addition we needed to be up there. He was a real let down. Its been down hill ever since. But we was so good to watch that 92 /3 season

Don't forget he got pushed over for a pen v Chelsea. Of course Bartman  hit it straight at the  keeper.

:tango:

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

2 hours ago, horny owl said:

We expected to be at Wembley ever year back then

Also hated playing the Blades because we were expected to win and a draw felt like a missed opportunity 

If anybody told me things would have turned out like this and we'd be yoyoing between the championship and leagu1 I'd have never believed it.

We were one of the best teams in the country and deserved so much more

The Blades back then we guided by Dave Harry Bassett, who somehow got a rag tag team of has beans and second tier journey men to competitively push Wednesday in every game we faced them, even though on paper they had no chance. (With the exception of Brian Deane). Difference to now is they only picked up results against Wednesday back then.

My claim to fame at the time was blanking Vinnie Jones in the Village Fisheries in Dronfield. He was driving a Red Vauxhall Calibre sponsored by Turret Motors at the time with his name on the side. How times have changed for Football and Vinnie Jones.

Difference for us is we used to go toe to toe as equals with Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd in every game. Man City and Chelsea would have been no problem for most teams at the time either.

We also played the best football in the League. Arsenal were a negative and synical team, but you knew with Merson and Ian Wright they could punish you given the chance.

That said, Steve Morrow was no world beater FFS.

I haven't watched any of the 93 Cup finals for twenty five years. Sufficient time may now have passed for me to watch them again I think.

lol

And I'll never forget the jubilant Blades remincing about Chris Woods crouching down as Andy Linegan scored the FA Cup Final winner in the days, weeks, years, decades since those finals. We had Andy's Brother Brian playing in our reserves at the time FFS.

2 hours ago, LittleG said:

Agree, if anybody had told me that within a few years we would be relegated and spending 20 years out of the top flight, I would have laughed in their face and had them committed!

I bet the kids today would laugh in your face and accuse you of being mental if you told them it's not so long since Arsenal needed to use shithouse spoiling tactics to stop Sheffield Wednesday from playing their glorious football.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

The twohats kicked lumps out of our players for the first ten minutes of the replay. However, we really should have played Warhurst up front too.

That's gorgeous George for you... I cried laughing when he was on the telly explaining why he'd returned £400000 ..his sweating top lip had me in spasms.

• Haha 1

my memories of Wembley both Fa Cup   and League will live with me forever , league cup final ticket was a counterfeit and my ticket for fa cup semi was bought outside stadium and was for  sheff utd end, and final my ticket was bought through Hastings arsenal supporters club, they asked me to leave the coach about a mile from the ground , when there coach was closing in on wembley  and they all rushed to the front of the coach to goad wednesday fans , i ripped down the gooner flag on the back window and replaced it with my wednesday shirt , and i also had to get train home to hastings.

1111.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, unkastav said:

In regards to the Arsenal 1-0 game I dont remember anyone getting too excited as both teams rested players

Mark bright header....

Cannot remember owt else.

Edit: I can, there was a fear both teams could be fined due to resting players, under the circumstances I thing it was just ignored.

Edited by helmut_rooster

19 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

I cant see that there will ever be a game like that again..... unless we both got to the fa cup final.

Even that wouldn't be the same as a large amount of the tickets for the FA Cup Final are distributed to the regional FAs and dignataries.  The great thing about that semi was that the whole capacity was split 50/50. 

Never forget the replay on the thursday night..we got there early but we were hearing plenty of stories abouy accidents and holdups on the motorway.

We ended up in the pub at the top of wembley way which was half wednesday half arsenal...was getting tense before we just left..at kickoff as said before there was only about 25 thousand wednesday fans there and a few were constantly trickling in.  And as said before the tricky trevs barmy army was something to hear..real goosebumps moment..

And someone saying 'its only a game' when walking out

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I bet the kids today would laugh in your face and accuse you of being mental if you told them it's not so long since Arsenal needed to use shithouse spoiling tactics to stop Sheffield Wednesday from playing their glorious football.  

When looking back that arsenal defence must have ruined a few strikers careers..hirst being one of them

The game Cup I’m convinced was lost due to injuries to all our regular centre backs. That’s not saying Carlton and warhurst played badly, Palmer was excellent but we missed him in midfield by then we knew Arsenal’s game plan Carlton would have given as good back to them and allowed shez more room . Warhurst would have given us more options wether he started or been on bench. Any two of Anderson,Pearson or shirtliff fit I think we would have won saying that we were only bright putting his foot through it from winning. Oh and it still hurts all these years later