1993: A few questions

35 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Arsenal were hard and ruthless . Had Ian Wright upfront and played to the chant 1 nil to the Arsenal as they won games that score on a regular basis.We could open up any other team apart from them. The semi final was like the alamo for the blunts.How it ended 2 1 only I still dont know.

Credit where it’s due unfortunately but Alan Kelly was immense for the snorters that day. Saved it from being a cricket score.

Not been able to play the regular centre halves in the FA Cup final Warhurst had to come back and had been on fire up front and Palmer had to go in there as well although he was MOTM we missed him in midfield protecting Sheridan 

• Thanks 1

It was an odd season in many ways.

The season before we could have won the league. Then we started 92/93 slowly. Bright was new to the team and a very different player to williams. Bright didn’t work anywhere near as hard as willo so hirst had to do more work as a result. Waddle was off injured in the first game and didn’t play again for a few weeks. We were hit and miss for most of the first half of the season.

Then it just turned. Our form players came back on form. And players like Hyde and Bart were playing out of their skins. About February time we would have given Barcelona a game and away at Blackburn is the best I have ever seen us play.

cup finals we looked so leggy. Thought we would win the league cup but I knew fa cup we would really struggle. We were patching the team up by then. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Will also say.

the Utd goalie with cancer who lapped the pitch in the semi was one of the most moving things I have seen in football. 

Actually gave me a semi...Mel Reese..Good keeper in the making and Welsh international.

Edited by fatzooma

1 hour ago, Flying V said:

At a forum earlier this year at the Royal Vic Hotel, Waddle said "We could beat any side except for Arsenal" It was the only team we didn't want to meet.

We were outmuscled, their manager had a game plan that worked. Without Ian Wright it would have been a different story.

The game against United was the best of days. Whilst we genuinely could've hit them for six, they probably thought they'd got away with it. 4 generations of my family at that game, 23 of us. 

The following season Mark Lawrenson tipped us for the premiership, a season summed up in the first ten miniutes. Palmer sent of for a needless challenge in the centre circle. We never got going and the subsequent signing of Andy Sinton (who looked a world beater at QPR) turned out to be another big disappointment.

We'd peaked, the signings that followed could never be as good as that side. 

But we were, for a bit, the best team to watch in the country.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to be young free and single and earning a good wage while living with parents and followed wednesday with a good set of fellow mates all over from 89 till 95 without missing a single game home or away. I wont go into 91 and rumbelows as your question didn't ask about that. But 93 was amazing. In short what I remember was firstly the cup runs was just amazing matches to be apart of. The away games atmosphere was particularly good. its hard to imagine now but then we was really good. Every game we new that we would be good enough to win. The excitement was in how we would win !! Waddle was amazing and the surprise for everyone was Paul Warhurst, Warhurst was signed as a centre half replacement of Des Walker in the future and to play and fill in when required next to him. We had a few injuries to forwards and Gordon Watson never really improved as he got older and Nigel jemson was the same. Hirst and Bright was the preferred strikers but one of them got injured and Francis put Warhurst as centre forward. And he was sensational !! He just could not miss !! He was lightning fast and scared the living daylights out of defenses. Every game he played was as surprising to Francis and Warhurst how good a striker he was and we all loved it !! I think Warhurst just thought it was a temperery thing and to make the most of getting in the team. 

The semi final in FA was not supposed to be at Wembley. I think Elland Rd was chosen. But the other semi was given wembley as it was an all London affair and the FA new they could fill wembley easily for an arsenal tottenham game. All the Wednesday and united fans complained and eventually the FA gave in and gave us wembley for the semi final. The build up is to hard to put into words. I dont think anyone in sheffield spoke about anything else leading up to the match. It was even better knowing we was the better team by miles but they had Bassett and Brian Dean who scored loads of goals. On the day London was taken over by sheffielders, blue and white or red and white was everywhere. I dont think they will ever be a better day to be a wednesdayite. Imagine Cardiff atmosphere in promotion playoff win x 1000. No exageration. When waddle scored the free kick it was pure ecstasy. I think this was my favourite game ever i have been to. We could have played better and really should have scored more goals but for a day out watching wednesday I dont think it will be ever beaten. The journey home I remember seeming like a ten mins drive. All the m1 north was either a delerious blue or a sad red !!

The finals I still find hard to talk about. Even I who had plenty of spare cash struggled with all the journeys to and from wembley and the tickets, fuel, programmes etc. I still cant believe we didnt win a cup. If we played any other team but Arsenal we would have done the double. Everyone knew we was good enough. George Graham was a master manager at being sneaky and dirty and bloody lucky. The last replay at wembley was the fa cup and I was sure we would win. We should have won. The dissapointment is as great today as then and I dont think its something I will ever get over not winning anything with that team. Most fans who was around then still hurt about it.

But looking back I was lucky to be a part of what happened then. I sure the other 2 thousand or so fans who went home and away to all the games feel the same. It may never happen again in my life time or longer. Memories I cherish. If only !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I was lucky enough to be young free and single and earning a good wage while living with parents and followed wednesday with a good set of fellow mates all over from 89 till 95 without missing a single game home or away. I wont go into 91 and rumbelows as your question didn't ask about that. But 93 was amazing. In short what I remember was firstly the cup runs was just amazing matches to be apart of. The away games atmosphere was particularly good. its hard to imagine now but then we was really good. Every game we new that we would be good enough to win. The excitement was in how we would win !! Waddle was amazing and the surprise for everyone was Paul Warhurst, Warhurst was signed as a centre half replacement of Des Walker in the future and to play and fill in when required next to him. We had a few injuries to forwards and Gordon Watson never really improved as he got older and Nigel jemson was the same. Hirst and Bright was the preferred strikers but one of them got injured and Francis put Warhurst as centre forward. And he was sensational !! He just could not miss !! He was lightning fast and scared the living daylights out of defenses. Every game he played was as surprising to Francis and Warhurst how good a striker he was and we all loved it !! I think Warhurst just thought it was a temperery thing and to make the most of getting in the team. 

The semi final in FA was not supposed to be at Wembley. I think Elland Rd was chosen. But the other semi was given wembley as it was an all London affair and the FA new they could fill wembley easily for an arsenal tottenham game. All the Wednesday and united fans complained and eventually the FA gave in and gave us wembley for the semi final. The build up is to hard to put into words. I dont think anyone in sheffield spoke about anything else leading up to the match. It was even better knowing we was the better team by miles but they had Bassett and Brian Dean who scored loads of goals. On the day London was taken over by sheffielders, blue and white or red and white was everywhere. I dont think they will ever be a better day to be a wednesdayite. Imagine Cardiff atmosphere in promotion playoff win x 1000. No exageration. When waddle scored the free kick it was pure ecstasy. I think this was my favourite game ever i have been to. We could have played better and really should have scored more goals but for a day out watching wednesday I dont think it will be ever beaten. The journey home I remember seeming like a ten mins drive. All the m1 north was either a delerious blue or a sad red !!

The finals I still find hard to talk about. Even I who had plenty of spare cash struggled with all the journeys to and from wembley and the tickets, fuel, programmes etc. I still cant believe we didnt win a cup. If we played any other team but Arsenal we would have done the double. Everyone knew we was good enough. George Graham was a master manager at being sneaky and dirty and bloody lucky. The last replay at wembley was the fa cup and I was sure we would win. We should have won. The dissapointment is as great today as then and I dont think its something I will ever get over not winning anything with that team. Most fans who was around then still hurt about it.

But looking back I was lucky to be a part of what happened then. I sure the other 2 thousand or so fans who went home and away to all the games feel the same. It may never happen again in my life time or longer. Memories I cherish. If only !!!!!!!!!!!!

The quick turnaround at Cambridge had me believing. We didn't used to that.

The link up play between Nilsson and Waddle was so simple, but unplayable. 

Unsung hero was Worthington who gave a mimimum 8/10 every game, although everyone contributed at some point.

40 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Remember the league cup semi was snowed off originally at Blackburn. The rearranged game was the best I have seen a Wednesday team play. Truly outstanding that night.

Uncovered and standing behind the goal !! what a game and atmosphere. All the fans at the game all say the same. I think it was televised but being there was another memory i will never forget !!

47 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Remember the league cup semi was snowed off originally at Blackburn. The rearranged game was the best I have seen a Wednesday team play. Truly outstanding that night.

Correct mate

Watched it the other week with my 2 lads

They were gobsmacked at the quality of that team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

We were outmuscled, their manager had a game plan that worked. Without Ian Wright it would have been a different story.

The game against United was the best of days. Whilst we genuinely could've hit them for six, they probably thought they'd got away with it. 4 generations of my family at that game, 23 of us. 

The following season Mark Lawrenson tipped us for the premiership, a season summed up in the first ten miniutes. Palmer sent of for a needless challenge in the centre circle. We never got going and the subsequent signing of Andy Sinton (who looked a world beater at QPR) turned out to be another big disappointment.

We'd peaked, the signings that followed could never be as good as that side. 

But we were, for a bit, the best team to watch in the country.

Sinton scored 2 on his debut at st james Park. I dont think he scored again. 3 million quid for a right footed left winger. We thought he was the final addition we needed to be up there. He was a real let down. Its been down hill ever since. But we was so good to watch that 92 /3 season