1993: A few questions

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The numerous trips to Wembley knackered everyone. Players and fans. That huge draining pitch. The travelling down from Sheffield. 

Home fixtures for the Arsenal.

Any other team in either final and we'd have won something. 

Wednesday were a running side, full of attacking intention. Arsenal bar a couple were a side of shuffling and keeping shape. Keeping things tight.

I don't think there were opta stats in those days but i'd wager there were few teams done more miles. 

People talk about them stopping Waddle. Something no other team could do. But Graham was canny. He didn't try and stop Waddle. He swamped Shez and cut out the supply line.

From the highlights Wednesday certainly played the nicer football of the two. Particularly the Coca-Cola Cup Final.

10 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The numerous trips to Wembley knackered everyone. Players and fans. That huge draining pitch. The travelling down from Sheffield. 

Home fixtures for the Arsenal.

Any other team in either final and we'd have won something. 

Wednesday were a running side, full of attacking intention. Arsenal bar a couple were a side of shuffling and keeping shape. Keeping things tight.

I don't think there were opta stats in those days but i'd wager there were few teams done more miles. 

People talk about them stopping Waddle. Something no other team could do. But Graham was canny. He didn't try and stop Waddle. He swamped Shez and cut out the supply line.

His mantra was don't concede ...they were bloody awful to watch.

Good questions pal.

These are my thoughts......

The club at that time was very used to being in big game surroundings and we had some world class players... We'd won the league cup 2 seasons previously and then finished third in the top division the season after, plus had a little trip to Europe earlier in 92/93. We then went on a crazy run from early December, winning 7 straight Premier League games, interspersed with the two cup runs, just battering teams so whilst we were extremely excited by Wembley, we were now getting used to success. Bearing this in mind I would say that Cardiff 2005 & Wembley 2016 (for me) was more exciting because of the poor fayre that we'd had to endure post 1996, although the prizes on offer in 05 & 16 weren't as high a profile as what was there in 93. For me the 91 League Cup final was the rival to 2005 & 2016.

For me, the pinnacle of that whole 1991-93 period was beating the blunts at Wembley - but we were never the same team or club after that game. If I'm being totally honest, the day after April 3rd 1993 was when we started to fall. We just never hit those standards again sadly.

Arsenal played slightly fewer games than us that season as they weren't involved in Europe (4 games less I think).

Post Wembley Semi, the Sheffield derby in the Premier League at Hillsborough (for me) just became a game that we simply didn't want to lose. They were well fired up for it but luckily we avoided defeat with a Paul Warhurst equalizer after they'd looked the slightly better side that game. Hillsborough crackled that night!

For me the Derby game build ups then were just as horrible as they are now!

The last league game at Hillsborough in 1992/3 was, as you say, against Arsenal. Both sides were pretty depleted post Coca-Cola final and the atmosphere was very relaxed, almost party like as the big one was still to come, and we couldn't lose both finals could we?

For what it's worth I will never ever forgive Woods for that horrendous attempt at saving the Linighan header in the FA Cup Final replay. We had played so well to drag ourselves back into both the original staging and then the replay. It was heartbreaking to lose it like that. My pals and I travelled back from that in total silence, in fact the walk down Wembley Way after the game was like a scene from the holocaust - thousands of devastated people just shuffling along in silence in tears and disbelief at what they had seen.

It was an amazing period in our 151 year history mate. #wawaw

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With hindsight, was it wise to have our FA Cup semi at Wembley? It was supposed to at Elland Road but there was a big kerfuffle about having it at Wembley, since Spurs v Arsenal was also going to be there. Was it just too much for everyone?

Was pretty devastated after the AET defeat.

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

His mantra was don't concede ...they were bloody awful to watch.

Remarkably, given the quality of their players, Arsenal had the division's worst attack that season. But, sadly for us, they also had the second-best defence.

38 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Yesterday I was watching the highlights from the three 1993 finals. As someone who wasn't born until 95 it's interesting to look at stuff like that. A few questions did occur to me as I was watching as well as looking at the fixture list for the 1992/93 season. For those who were around at the time, these are those questions.

Firstly how did the build up within the fanbase compare to say Cardiff in 2005 or Wembley in 2016?

I've heard a lot of talk about how playing so many games that season was the main reason they didn't win either trophy but given Arsenal had played the same amount of games throughout April and May, how true was this?

Having beat United in the Semi Final how did the derby in between the Semi and Final at Hillsborough (1-1 Warhurst and Deane scoring) compare. Was it anti-climactic given what had happened or was it ramped up even more by them wanting to get one over on us? Also a more general question how did the build up for the derby games compare in that era to now?

Given that we played Arsenal in the league not long before the FA Cup final (1-0 win with Bright scoring), what was the atmosphere like for that game and how much impact did winning that game have on the build up for the Final itself?

I was the the game v United after the semi final, side had quite a few changes, waddle got injured and limped off to the blades fans singing what a waste of money 

he put up 2-1 to them with his fingers 

same with the Arsenal game, both had under strength teams out full of youngsters, very poor game 

Edited by Dexter Morgan
Adding
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

Good questions pal.

These are my thoughts......

The club at that time was very used to being in big game surroundings and we had some world class players... We'd won the league cup 2 seasons previously and then finished third in the top division the season after, plus had a little trip to Europe earlier in 92/93. We then went on a crazy run from early December, winning 7 straight Premier League games, interspersed with the two cup runs, just battering teams so whilst we were extremely excited by Wembley, we were now getting used to success. Bearing this in mind I would say that Cardiff 2005 & Wembley 2016 (for me) was more exciting because of the poor fayre that we'd had to endure post 1996, although the prizes on offer in 05 & 16 weren't as high a profile as what was there in 93. For me the 91 League Cup final was the rival to 2005 & 2016.

For me, the pinnacle of that whole 1991-93 period was beating the blunts at Wembley - but we were never the same team or club after that game. If I'm being totally honest, the day after April 3rd 1993 was when we started to fall. We just never hit those standards again sadly.

Arsenal played slightly fewer games than us that season as they weren't involved in Europe (4 games less I think).

Post Wembley Semi, the Sheffield derby in the Premier League at Hillsborough (for me) just became a game that we simply didn't want to lose. They were well fired up for it but luckily we avoided defeat with a Paul Warhurst equalizer after they'd looked the slightly better side that game. Hillsborough crackled that night!

For me the Derby game build ups then were just as horrible as they are now!

The last league game at Hillsborough in 1992/3 was, as you say, against Arsenal. Both sides were pretty depleted post Coca-Cola final and the atmosphere was very relaxed, almost party like as the big one was still to come, and we couldn't lose both finals could we?

For what it's worth I will never ever forgive Woods for that horrendous attempt at saving the Linighan header in the FA Cup Final replay. We had played so well to drag ourselves back into both the original staging and then the replay. It was heartbreaking to lose it like that. My pals and I travelled back from that in total silence, in fact the walk down Wembley Way after the game was like a scene from the holocaust - thousands of devastated people just shuffling along in silence in tears and disbelief at what they had seen.

It was an amazing period in our 151 year history mate. #wawaw

I’m sorry I’ve nearly spat my coffee out at your comment suggesting we were fortunate to beat the blunts in the game at Hillsborough??? They had one effort and we had numerous chances. Watch the highlights.

3 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

With hindsight, was it wise to have our FA Cup semi at Wembley? It was supposed to at Elland Road but there was a big kerfuffle about having it at Wembley, since Spurs v Arsenal was also going to be there. Was it just too much for everyone?

Was pretty devastated after the AET defeat.

The move to Wembley suited us perfectly from a football point of view. Waddle has said our players couldn’t believe united clamouring for it as playing at elland road would have suited them far more.

Just now, sexpistol said:

I’m sorry I’ve nearly spat my coffee out at your comment suggesting we were fortunate to beat the blunts in the game at Hillsborough??? They had one effort and we had numerous chances. Watch the highlights.

Just going from memory pal. We certainly were nowhere near as dominant as we had been at Wembley.

9 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

That's a good point. One might think that the horrendous way in which we lost the FA Cup final would have been the start of our decline, but our form after the SF - indeed, even after the QF replay against Derby, once we knew we had the blunts in the SF- was relegation form. We'd been fourth in March, but we completely fell away to finish 7th. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992–93_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._season

3 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

They did. Adams, Bould, Dixon, Winterburn. Paul Davies was the holding (Hutch like) midfielder. Incredibly disciplined back line pal.

It was a defence that ruined David Hirsts career.  They clattered him every time as he had too much pace and power for them. His career defining injury was against them. One he never really recovered from.

5 minutes ago, Sova said:

That's a good point. One might think that the horrendous way in which we lost the FA Cup final would have been the start of our decline, but our form after the SF - indeed, even after the QF replay against Derby, once we knew we had the blunts in the SF- was relegation form. We'd been fourth in March, but we completely fell away to finish 7th. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992–93_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._season

Depressingly, in the modern game a team would focus on maintaining 4th rather than winning a trophy.