1993: A few questions

Yesterday I was watching the highlights from the three 1993 finals. As someone who wasn't born until 95 it's interesting to look at stuff like that. A few questions did occur to me as I was watching as well as looking at the fixture list for the 1992/93 season. For those who were around at the time, these are those questions.

Firstly how did the build up within the fanbase compare to say Cardiff in 2005 or Wembley in 2016?

I've heard a lot of talk about how playing so many games that season was the main reason they didn't win either trophy but given Arsenal had played the same amount of games throughout April and May, how true was this?

Having beat United in the Semi Final how did the derby in between the Semi and Final at Hillsborough (1-1 Warhurst and Deane scoring) compare. Was it anti-climactic given what had happened or was it ramped up even more by them wanting to get one over on us? Also a more general question how did the build up for the derby games compare in that era to now?

Given that we played Arsenal in the league not long before the FA Cup final (1-0 win with Bright scoring), what was the atmosphere like for that game and how much impact did winning that game have on the build up for the Final itself?

I don't remember much having been pisssed up for the most part

The game against the Blunts at Wembley should have finished 10-1 though

And we'll never have another right back anywhere near as good as Roland Nilsson

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

The 1-0 league game was the first time clubs were fined for fielding weakened teams (I think). Ridiculous given both sides did it.

The Derby was still intense as we wanted them relegated and to give them the beating they should have had at Wembley. We dominated but looked like losing. Highlight was waddle’s 2-1 gesture when getting substituted.

A game that sticks in my mind then was beating Southampton 5-2 with a weakened side.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

The 1-0 league game was the first time clubs were fined for fielding weakened teams (I think). Ridiculous given both sides did it.

The Derby was still intense as we wanted them relegated and to give them the beating they should have had at Wembley. We dominated but looked like losing. Highlight was waddle’s 2-1 gesture when getting substituted.

A game that sticks in my mind then was beating Southampton 5-2 with a weakened side.

Bartman hattrick!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Looking at the teams that is certainly the case.

It was dull as dishwater. Even though the teams had made scores of changes to protect the best XIs the squad were much smaller in those days so even people on the fringes weren't giving it the full gun just in case.

• Thanks 1

We expected to be at Wembley ever year back then

Also hated playing the Blades because we were expected to win and a draw felt like a missed opportunity 

If anybody told me things would have turned out like this and we'd be yoyoing between the championship and leagu1 I'd have never believed it.

We were one of the best teams in the country and deserved so much more

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I've heard a lot of talk about how playing so many games that season was the main reason they didn't win either trophy but given Arsenal had played the same amount of games throughout April and May, how true was this?

The numerous trips to Wembley knackered everyone. Players and fans. That huge draining pitch. The travelling down from Sheffield. 

Home fixtures for the Arsenal.

Any other team in either final and we'd have won something. 

Wednesday were a running side, full of attacking intention. Arsenal bar a couple were a side of shuffling and keeping shape. Keeping things tight.

I don't think there were opta stats in those days but i'd wager there were few teams done more miles. 

People talk about them stopping Waddle. Something no other team could do. But Graham was canny. He didn't try and stop Waddle. He swamped Shez and cut out the supply line.

• Thanks 1

The league match before we played them in the FA cup final was a bit of a non event (imo don't remember anything about the game) they brought hardly any fans (probably around 500) but I remember them holding up a Coca Cola banner with "winners" on or something like.

The FA cup replay was on a Thursday night think we took about 25000. Rained all the way down the M1. Thing I will always remember was the atmosphere at the start of the second half "tricky Trevs barmy army " went on for about 20 mins non stop.

Grim trip back up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The 1-1 league game v the blunts after the semi was just as one sided. We absolutely battered them. I seem to remember them only having one meaningful chance and they scored from it.

As for the cup finals, Arsenal probably just about shade te league cup final.

The FA cup final (1st game) was a very poor game with a draw being the right outcome.

The replay - First half Wednesday were poor and Arsenal deservedly went in 1-0 at HT. Second half we came at them and it was the best we had played against them in the 3 games. We got a deserved equaliser albeit with a deflection, then Bright missed THAT sitter not long after we scored ( how i don’t know)

Over 120 mins Wednesday were the better side, but we all know what happened. I had the misfortune of being sat right at the back behind the goal not quite fathoming how Woods could let in a straight forward header. My worst moment watching Wednesday by a long way.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Greengrass said:

The league match before we played them in the FA cup final was a bit of a non event (imo don't remember anything about the game) they brought hardly any fans (probably around 500) but I remember them holding up a Coca Cola banner with "winners" on or something like.

The FA cup replay was on a Thursday night think we took about 25000. Rained all the way down the M1. Thing I will always remember was the atmosphere at the start of the second half "tricky Trevs barmy army " went on for about 20 mins non stop.

Grim trip back up.

We set off quite early in the morning - and still only got there about 30 mins before kick off (stuck on the M1 near Hertfordshire for about 5 hours), took 4 hours to get away from the Car Park after the game, (same as play-offs 2 years ago), I got back home at 4.45am, then had to quickly get changed to catch 5am bus to work (I was a postie at the time). Happy days.

Guest LittleG
11 minutes ago, horny owl said:

We expected to be at Wembley ever year back then

Also hated playing the Blades because we were expected to win and a draw felt like a missed opportunity 

If anybody told me things would have turned out like this and we'd be yoyoing between the championship and leagu1 I'd have never believed it.

We were one of the best teams in the country and deserved so much more

Agree, if anybody had told me that within a few years we would be relegated and spending 20 years out of the top flight, I would have laughed in their face and had them committed!