Are We Going S*** Or Bust

5 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

He did say at the Forum that he could either try and meet FFP or ignore it.

Ignoring it means getting Bruce and giving him a warchest. That would undoubtedly lead to an embargo if we didn't go up this year. There is some speculation that even if we don't spend in January and we release all players at end of contract in the Summer we will still be facing an embargo.

So if we do go big in January, unless we are hit with a new level of punishment for ignoring FFP then we might be in a position where we are in an embargo but have bought the players we need to make it pretty irrelevant next season and push for promotion then. 

However, that in my opinion would be an extremely reckless gamble. We have already been found out for not having long term thinking and if we do this it could be carnage.

I'd prefer us to keep Bullen, sell a couple in January, stay up, release all out of contract players in Summer and meet FFP. Then get the right manager in with a clean slate.

I was in agreement until you said keep Bullen.

Just now, toppOwl said:

I was in agreement until you said keep Bullen.

My reasoning is, what's the point in spending big money on recruiting a top Championship manager when it looks like our assistant can keep us up cost effectively for now. If Bruce wants to come in on low money and nothing to spend then that's fine but I feel it's unlikely.

If we are going to bide our time and plan that would make sense. I appreciate the right manager might not be available in the Summer but it would be sensible to go this way in my opinion. Clear the decks, prudent loan signings in August, more of the same survival in Championship next season and a better guided assault on the 2020/21 Campaign.

I've waited 20 odd years for us to be great again, I can wait 2 or 3 more if it means not risking Armageddon.

Guest Kameron

Not sure how we’d get these supposed signings past the football league, they’re effectively controlling what we can and can’t do.  We can’t just ignore it because we’d end up with a points deduction, either way we’re fo oked for at least two seasons. 

No brainer, keep Bully and don't bother with Bruce. IMHO he's a Yesterday Man still living on reputation. Great at getting teams into the Prem as long as he's got masses to spend, but all his clubs in the Prem have finished in the bottom half before he moved on. Bully has tactical nous, respected by fans and players alike and talks like a real football  man. At least give him to the season end.

10 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

No one knows what the EFL will do, they’ll been fairly toothless so far and not done what they loosely threatened with Birmingham.......be just our luck they use us as an example.

I'm sure that if we were used as an example then we'd appeal against this in the courts and say it can't be one rule for one and a different one for another. Sanctions have to be across the board or just ignored across the board.

7 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

No brainer, keep Bully and don't bother with Bruce. IMHO he's a Yesterday Man still living on reputation. Great at getting teams into the Prem as long as he's got masses to spend, but all his clubs in the Prem have finished in the bottom half before he moved on. Bully has tactical nous, respected by fans and players alike and talks like a real football  man. At least give him to the season end.

How do you know this? 

1 minute ago, Buckwheat said:

Bullen himself said he was not the man for the job after the Burton debacle last year. This year, we have achieved a few decent results since Jos left but that proves nothing in the long run. It is usually the case that there is an uplift in results after change of manager.

Manchester United are experiencing the same but nobody really expects Solksjaer to last in a position like that. They need a stellar manager to replace him. He might make a fine number two there but not top man at this stage.  To a lesser extent, Bullen is our Solksjaer. Someone who feeds off his reputation at the club and can facilitate a short term uplift.

The job is too big for Bullen. If Bullen fancies being a manager in his own right, he should leave the club and try to cut it at a lower level first. We need a strong leader with experience of handling Championship level footballers. And preferably someone with the gonads to go face to face with agents and tell them where to get off. Bruce might have his faults but he ticks most of the boxes needed. He's probably the best realistic option we have going forward.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

This thread, what a joke. If we don't trade any players (in or out) before March 2019, we are running at -£54m against FFP/P&S for the three year window. Therefore we will already be £15m over the permissible 3 year loss which will inevitably bring embargo, fines, and quite possibly a points deduction.

Unless Chansiri has some incredibly ingenious plan, I'd say we are already well and truly bust (and a little bit poo too).

Let's not forget either that 12 days ago he put the club up for sale!

I completely understand what you are saying but if our financial situation was this bad, why has DC hired a manager on 2 million a year?

He’s either in dialogue with the EFL or he has some sort of investment incoming to combat the issue. I can’t just imagine he’s ignoring the threat and going for it. 

Too much to lose here. 

I've been hearing of a most liberal relaxing of P & S and FFP for next season in the region of x 2.  .'. £80m over the three years, the last two years equate to near enough £26m that would leave £54m of spends for a further year; or £67m of spending power over two years.  

In theory the Blades would have significantly more but I don't think McSue or the Prince would be in that market so it's this year or nowt for them.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I've been hearing of a most liberal relaxing of P & S and FFP for next season in the region of x 2.  .'. £80m over the three years, the last two years equate to near enough £26m that would leave £54m of spends for a further year; or £67m of spending power over two years.  

How have you heard that Nev?:tango:

2 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Where have you heard this? 

3 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Where have you heard this? 

It was a cut and paste from a news paper in the lead up to fans forum, may have been YP. Half conjecture part wish list of a few chairmen claiming rules were far too tight. Rest assured we would be last to know after EFL chairmens meeting in June.  

2 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I completely understand what you are saying but if our financial situation was this bad, why has DC hired a manager on 2 million a year?

He’s either in dialogue with the EFL or he has some sort of investment incoming to combat the issue. I can’t just imagine he’s ignoring the threat and going for it. 

Too much to lose here. 

So that takes us potentially to -£56m. Therefore we'll have to demonstrate to the EFL by the time of the FFP review in March 2019, that we have or can demonstrate that we have the means to recoup £17m of that.