North Stand Wooden Seats...

Had 'discussion' last week with my old man as to when the wooden seats on the North Stand were changed to plastic ones.

I can remember going as a young lad when they were there, but he seems to think that they were done prior to my 1st game, which was the opening game of the season against Aston Villa in 1991. I think they were done for Euro 96.

I'm sure someone can confirm this for me?

Cheers

17 minutes ago, East Sussex Owl said:

Had 'discussion' last week with my old man as to when the wooden seats on the North Stand were changed to plastic ones.

I can remember going as a young lad when they were there, but he seems to think that they were done prior to my 1st game, which was the opening game of the season against Aston Villa in 1991. I think they were done for Euro 96.

Cheers

I seem to remember the change coming in the summer of 97 first game was Leeds lost 1-3

Edited by hopevalleyowl

12 minutes ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

I don’t know when they was changed but I remember sitting on them as a lad in the early 90s. Maybe 93/94. 

I used to quite like them for some reason. Don’t know why. 

Plastic seats are colder than wooden ones.  But don't hurt so much when you graze your legs against them... Swings and roundabouts.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Plastic seats are colder than wooden ones.  But don't hurt so much when you graze your legs against them... Swings and roundabouts.  

Plus, you could join in with the cushion cascade instead of booing :manager:

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, East Sussex Owl said:

Cheers

Same on the old South Lower, I much preferred them to the current much larger deep vein thrombosis variety.  WTF:

• Haha 1

They were done as part of the spruce for Euro 96 if memory serves me right. I do remember standing on the back of the wooden seats and it snapping against Man City when Uwe Rosler played for City which i believe was early 90s and might have been last game of the season, possibly when SUFC got relegated at Chelsea.

My dad paying for 2 cushions for the wooden seats was always a highlight. As was the smell of fags, clacking seats and Wednesday scarfs(to a certain extent), all of which have gone the way of letters, manners and myspace.  

12 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

My dad paying for 2 cushions for the wooden seats was always a highlight. As was the smell of fags, clacking seats and Wednesday scarfs(to a certain extent), all of which have gone the way of letters, manners and myspace.  

Here you go GerOwl another bit of nostalgia for you !

C9xzfxPWAAAGJzi.jpg.86fb18f56cd6050e07204e6866612864.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

I dunno. The edge of the back of a plastic one can do some serious damage if you drag your shins up it with great force. I still limp a bit from Tudgay's goal at BL because of this.

Edited by Owl At Risk