Pleat in the Daily Telegraph Yesterday

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Andy Booth who went to Tottenham?

And Steve Nicol, really?.....one of the best players of his generation

Yeah ….Steve Nicol who`s stock had fallen so low at the time we signed him that he was playing in the lower leagues with Notts County and Andy Booth who made the grand total of 5 ? appearances for Spurs (google the Spurs fans opinions on him...always makes their all time worst XI ) before going back to Huddersfield for 200 K (we paid 2.6 M)

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Andy Booth who went to Tottenham?

And Steve Nicol, really?.....one of the best players of his generation

Not sure these proved to be stellar deals though. A fellow Owl always says that the week we bought Andy Booth and Chelsea brought in Vialli was a sign of respective club ambitions. They were on a par achievements and support wise with us but it proved a parting of the ways - them upwards and us downwards. Nicol was way past his best when he came to us.

Pleat was a puzzle in the transfer market. Thought he did OK really. Brought in Carbone. Darko went on to great things elsewhere and although Stefanovic was as slow as Ian Cranston he had a fine career in the Prem after we went down. I also thought the Blinker- Di Canio swap was a great piece of business. 

Wasn’t a fan of pleat but he took us to 7th in the PL and an FA cup quarter final in 97.

we were a couple of wins of qualifying for Europe.

comparing him to the likes of Luhukay and Irvine is a bit much.

6 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I had some correspondence with Paul Jewell at the time he was managing us. Basically wasn't given a pot topissin. Every player he wanted to sign, even free transfers were knocked back.

I know he got a crap hand. But to me, he didn't seem upto managing what he had.

I used to go reserve games back then, His contribution, opposed to Peter Shreeves, was non existent. 

Clearly a capable manager, but maybe it was too big a job for him.

8 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

That is what I meant.

Francis inherited a very good team, that took us the 3rd in the old 1st div, then broke it up far too quickly.

Getting rid of WINNERS like Pearson, Palmer, Harkes, Worthington and King, replacing them with  players who could not live up to those players,yes he took us to 2 cup finals against Arsenal, but we LOST in both, he DID bring in Waddle, Walker and Bright, but the TEAM was a mess.

Sinton wasn't a great signing either, but no one would have disagreed with Trev when he signed him at the time. We've had far worse Manager's than Francis in my opinion, and the ones who followed were no better, appart from the return of Ron.

Which reminds me of someone else with Unfinished Business.

garymegson

On 30/12/2018 at 18:40, TrickyTrev said:

David Pleat sits amongst Danny Wilson, Alan Irvine and Jos Luhukay as one of the worst managers to manage at Hillsborough in my time following the owls.

Bit harsh, I have Jewell, Turner and Jones ahead of them.

Was it Pleat who took the captaincy off Pearson? 

Alot of players ive spoken too in that era cannot stand the bloke.

As for Dave Richards ...started of well but very selfishly put his self before the club, I mean the revenge for not appointing BFR after he saved us was pathetic really dispite Ron pissingoff tons of Wednesday fans ( me included) in the summer of 91.

3 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Was it Pleat who took the captaincy off Pearson? 

Alot of players ive spoken too in that era cannot stand the bloke.

As for Dave Richards ...started of well but very selfishly put his self before the club, I mean the revenge for not appointing BFR after he saved us was pathetic really dispite Ron pissingoff tons of Wednesday fans ( me included) in the summer of 91.

Pearson left a good year before Pleat took over.

I know Pleat didnt get along with the senior players when he arrived.

Think he had a fault of making football too complicated and filling players head with too many tactical instructions.