Pleat in the Daily Telegraph Yesterday

22 minutes ago, dani_armo said:

Still to this day I cannot understand how or why pleat got the job

Barring one decent season at spurs what had he ever done?

He did sign some decent players tho amongst stars like Oakes and Collins 

Remember Ron in the second coming subbing Oakes on just because he wanted him to take a penalty?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ian said:

Is the Dave Richards you are referring to the same bloke who was Chairman when we won't the only trophy we've won in most people's lifetime.....who had us playing in Europe.....who had us signing players against competition from the likes of Arsenal, had us build a practically new South stand wth executive boxes and had us staging Euro 96 games despite the fall out from the disaster?

Yep, the era that we have a thread on with folk drooling every other week !

You forgot to mention rejecting bids from Man U for our star player 

Short memories 

shirt.png

tel.png

cook.PNG

Capture.PNG

2018-06-29 23.31.53.png

Edited by the monk

5 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Allen is in a different league when it comes to shocking chairmen . Richards was poor ,but nowhere near as bad as the Cretin. 

He's certainly in a different league now!!! lol

• Haha 1

Richards did well until he had to make an actual management appointment . Big Ron was McGee’s pick and tricky Treva was more or less forced on him. After that he had to pick his own men and failed abysmally apart from big rons return, and we know how that worked out. Of course when the going got tough he was only interested in his own exit strategy and that’s when things really went south 

37 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I’m no particular fan of Pleat but we did come seventh in the Premier League with a limited side under him didn’t we after Francis had seen us “slump” to around 13th?  Hardly Irvine or Yorath levels. 

No, but it was all downhill from there

9 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

The same Paul Jewell that came to us having taken Bradford from the third tier to the EPL and then immediately after leaving us did the same at Wigan? Yes clearly a shocking manager!

We were a basket case of a club at the time, not even Fergie would have succeeded in the short time allowed before fans expectations kicked in and the sack followed.

Irrespective of what he achieved elsewhere, he was hopeless at S6.

You can't just blame the club.

14 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Think Warnock played for chesterfield at the time. No wonder he opened a shop, he was useless, I saw him a couple of times.

He was only a kid in his Chesterfield days, he ran the fruit and veg shop in Nether Edge with his first wife and her mother whilst learning his trade as a manager, he also had the chiropodist business in Tinsley.

3 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

He was only a kid in his Chesterfield days, he ran the fruit and veg shop in Nether Edge with his first wife and her mother whilst learning his trade as a manager, he also had the chiropodist business in Tinsley.

.... where he learned the dark arts of mixing hardened skin with toenail clippings and runner beans - a metaphor for the kind of teams he would produce. 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

PS Highlight of Pleat era was actually being top of the league for the only time in my lifetime of watching the Owls. 

Pleats career though has always baffled me because I don’t think he’s a sandwich short of a picnic but maybe he’s got two or three extra sarnies in his head. I remember him complaining in solemn tones during the early days of Radio 5 of the vicious circle whereby the number of home grown players was diminishing and that as a result, those of the right quality were becoming over priced. When pressed to give an example he nyepped that “its well known that Sheffield Wednesday have been trying to sign Uwe Rosler but Man City have put a £3 million price tag on him.”

Yikes!

My other stellar memory under Pleat was a goal celebration when Hirsty and Guy Whittingham did a reprise of Pleatys famous Luton Prance after they had survived relegation some years previously. Come to think of it, the ghastly suit Pleat wore that day should have been enough to forewarn any future employers!

That article comes across as Pleat is still bitter about being sacked.

He wasnt as bad a manager for Wednesday as some on here think, not saying he was brilliant but we have had worse.

Richards first part of being chairmen was excellent but when things levelled off he made a few bad decisions.

Edited by matthefish2002

1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Irrespective of what he achieved elsewhere, he was hopeless at S6.

You can't just blame the club.

I had some correspondence with Paul Jewell at the time he was managing us. Basically wasn't given a pot topissin. Every player he wanted to sign, even free transfers were knocked back.

1 minute ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I had some correspondence with Paul Jewell at the time he was managing us. Basically wasn't given a pot topissin. Every player he wanted to sign, even free transfers were knocked back.

Paul Jewell had no chance at Wednesday, dont think Alex Ferguson would have made any difference at the time.

I dont think club has ever recovered from being relegated in 2000 and losing about 10 players overnight.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Pot and kettle I would say. As bad as Dave Richards was he gave Pleat £26 million! and he blew it on some right shybo. 

Between them they wounded us so deep we are still recovering. 

Love him or hate him, he DID take us to 7th in the prem in the 1996-97 season, just missing out on Europe.

As for the £26m, I think that was Francis.

, now there is a poor manager.

16 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Pleat was a poor manager for us; hardly an inspiring leader;

However, Dave Richards is up there with DA as our worst every chairman and the reason we have been on the decline for over 20 years imo.  How he ended up PL chairman is embarrassing with the mess he left us in 

Worst Chairman by a mile. Dave Richards is the reason why we had Dave Allen as Chairman.

I assume he's never been back to Hillsborough since we were relegated?

I remember the days when he'd reminisce about standing on the Kop as a young man. That's his only defence, I'm sure he didn't plan for all this to happen.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Love him or hate him, he DID take us to 7th in the prem in the 1996-97 season, just missing out on Europe.

As for the £26m, I think that was Francis.

, now there is a poor manager.

Footballs a funny old game. Francis took us into Europe, got us to two cup finals, got us promoted out of the second as a player and brought Chris Waddle to the club.

He's one of the best things that happened to Wednesday. Big Ron was the architect of the building, but we did progress under Trev.

Trev's only problem. Hirst, Waddle, Sheridan, Pearson, Palmer couldn't play forever.

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Footballs a funny old game. Francis took us into Europe, got us to two cup finals, got us promoted out of the second as a player and brought Chris Waddle to the club.

He's one of the best things that happened to Wednesday. Big Ron was the architect of the building, but we did progress under Trev.

Trev's only problem. Hirst, Waddle, Sheridan, Pearson, Palmer couldn't play forever.

That is what I meant.

Francis inherited a very good team, that took us the 3rd in the old 1st div, then broke it up far too quickly.

Getting rid of WINNERS like Pearson, Palmer, Harkes, Worthington and King, replacing them with  players who could not live up to those players,yes he took us to 2 cup finals against Arsenal, but we LOST in both, he DID bring in Waddle, Walker and Bright, but the TEAM was a mess.

11 hours ago, dani_armo said:

Still to this day I cannot understand how or why pleat got the job

Barring one decent season at spurs what had he ever done?

He did sign some decent players tho amongst stars like Oakes and Collins 

Yeah Oakes , Collins and...…………...

Matt Clarke

O Neal Donaldson

Orlando Trustful

David Billington

Mark McKeever

Jim Magilton

Andy Booth

Steve Nicol

David Hercock

2 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said: