Pleat in the Daily Telegraph Yesterday

19 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

David Pleat sits amongst Danny Wilson, Alan Irvine and Jos Luhukay as one of the worst managers to manage at Hillsborough in my time following the owls.

I'm sorry but I put pleat below those other managers you quote.

Pleat had a great squad to pick, and he chose a couple of players over achieving to drop Waddle, when most at the time thought he could get most out of Waddle in what they thought were his twilight years, yet he still produced the goods for teams like Bradford, Sunderland and Burnley.    He should have retired with SWFC in truth.

That's not my main gripe (nor should it be, as that's a minor issue) - but Pleat consistently made Wednesday the underdog, when we had proven our mettle in the top flight already.  He set up for the counter, he set up to give the opposition credit- think Irvine on speed.

I was still young at the time, but Pleat ruined this club - some on this forum say Francis did, which I refute wholeheartedly - it was Pleat who did that.

And regarding the kerb crawing comments.   I won't make comment, but most heard the rumours.

Edited by Salmonbones
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

Pleat was a poor manager for us; hardly an inspiring leader;

However, Dave Richards is up there with DA as our worst every chairman and the reason we have been on the decline for over 20 years imo.  How he ended up PL chairman is embarrassing with the mess he left us in 

Allen is in a different league when it comes to shocking chairmen . Richards was poor ,but nowhere near as bad as the Cretin. 

57 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

David Pleat sits amongst Danny Wilson, Alan Irvine and Jos Luhukay as one of the worst managers to manage at Hillsborough in my time following the owls.

Pleat was the beginning of our demise through to today and I’ll put him on par with Jos as both had good players to choose from whereas other “poor”managers  were working with League 1 type players 

1 hour ago, BRADDO said:

Richards used the Di Canio incident to further ingratiate himself with the FA instead of doing his day job and showing loyalty first to his club. Ferguson and co did it with Cantona in a far more serious incident and they never looked back. In contrast our club has suffered ever since. 

My dad grew up on the same road has Dave Richards. Burgoyne rd at walkley if you can believe it. He says he was always a little stuck up 2hat. Nowts changed as it. Where did the șhițhoușe make his money? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Shut up dave

You had no ideas what to do with that squad. Tried to build the team around richie humphreys and wasted the money on dutch and belgium leaches and journeymen.

DeGryse was alright

But really, Luton to Sheff Wed says a lot.

Thought at the time it was OK what with DP being a 'football' manager, someone who thinks the game through. Soon realised I was wrong, despite us being top after 4 games, and there's no real place in football for managers like that. It's all about charisma, leadership and respect

2 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Pleat was a poor manager for us; hardly an inspiring leader;

However, Dave Richards is up there with DA as our worst every chairman and the reason we have been on the decline for over 20 years imo.  How he ended up PL chairman is embarrassing with the mess he left us in 

Is the Dave Richards you are referring to the same bloke who was Chairman when we won't the only trophy we've won in most people's lifetime.....who had us playing in Europe.....who had us signing players against competition from the likes of Arsenal, had us build a practically new South stand wth executive boxes and had us staging Euro 96 games despite the fall out from the disaster?

Edited by Ian

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Is the Dave Richards you are referring to the same bloke who was Chairman when we won't the only trophy we've won in most people's lifetime.....who had us playing in Europe.....who had us signing players against competition from the likes of Arsenal, had us build a practically new South stand wth executive boxes and had us staging Euro Championship games despite the fall out from the disaster?

The problem is anything good he did for the club is washed away in the memories of those old enough to remember was how he as others pointed out put himself and his would be career in the fa above the club, didn't back his player and how our lengthy demise cascaded from that. 

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

The problem is anything good he did for the club is washed away in the memories of those old enough to remember was how he as others pointed out put himself and his would be career in the fa above the club, didn't back his player and how our lengthy demise cascaded from that. 

Man puts own career in front of his current employer shocker.....so like almost every player we've ever had then...including Di Canio at every club he was ever at?