Boxing Day Coach Crash - 1960

We were 4 games in to our record 19 match unbeaten run when that happened...... during which we won 6-1 at Fulham, 4-3 at champions Burnley, and 5-1 home wins against both PNE and Man Utd.   

I was lucky enough to be at 13 of those 19 games.

Swan missed 5 games. Tony Kay didn't miss any due to his injury.   I was also at the McMillan benefit match though I can't remember anything about it, except for McMillan and Dooley walking to the centre circle before kick off.

• Like 3

Remember that so well. Just a youngster but remember my Dad coming to wake me up next morning to tell me what was on the radio about young Doug McMillan

Remember too the absolute hush in the crowd next game when Tony Kay still with stitches in, made a headed clearance.

• Like 1

Would love to know. That Christmas, we had bought a cairn/corgi cross terrier, our first dog, and were looking for a name. This became easy. Macmillan's nickname - MIFF. It didn't matter that it was a female, the name stuck and we had the dog until it died quietly in its sleepsome 14 years later..  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

He ran the Post Office at Wincobank until 2003, and played golf regular at Tankersley, certainly until about 2010-12 but don't know after then.

I may have bumped into him in. I used to frequent some of the shops round there when I lived in Kimberworth many moons ago.

2 hours ago, Blatter said:

Just had a closer look at the Dooley/McMillan picture Dunsby.

Got goosebumps,15 year old me and my late Dad are in the background in our spot behind the dugout.

Thanks for the memory

Wow there's a thing! Brilliant.

Things like that remind me of a TV series called "Shooting the Past". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_the_Past

Edited by dunsbyowl

11 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Wow there's a thing! Brilliant.

Things like that remind me of a TV series called "Shooting the Past". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_the_Past

Interesting stuff Dunsby, will have a look if Shooting the Past is still available to view.

Funny thing about that picture was that I instantly recognised my Dad but didn’t recognise my 15 yr old self without a 2nd look.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

He ran the Post Office at Wincobank until 2003, and played golf regular at Tankersley, certainly until about 2010-12 but don't know after then.

Was about to put the same.

Think he used money from fund raising for him to buy the post office in Wincoback. Can remember getting served by him loads of times as a kid. Never knew until later he was on Wednesdays books.

Think I read he retired and lives up Grenoside now.