That Goal

I know some people on here will disagree, and I know he made some fine stops during the other 94 mins , but dear oh dear , he will have nightmares over that goal , at any level of football , any ball from a corner to the centre of the six yard box, is a keepers ball the defenders were waiting for the call that ,presumably, never came , third choice keeper for me  and that is because I have only seen three of our keepers

Bad defending all round.

Dawson could/should have punched it.

Winnall could/should have headed it.

Jones could/should have blocked it.

We could/should have had a man on the post. 

Also, and I've only seen it once in real time from behind the goal at the opposite end so stand to be corrected, I thought Palmer giving away the corner in the first place was needless,  it looked like he could have either left the cross without their man getting to it or put it out for a throw instead of kicking it out for a corner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bob C said:

I know some people on here will disagree, and I know he made some fine stops during the other 94 mins , but dear oh dear , he will have nightmares over that goal , at any level of football , any ball from a corner to the centre of the six yard box, is a keepers ball the defenders were waiting for the call that ,presumably, never came , third choice keeper for me  and that is because I have only seen three of our keepers

And the world class fingertip save he made earlier ?

16 minutes ago, bob C said:

You watched this on the tv didn’t you?

From the moment we allowed the ball to bounce we were screwed.  It just needed one Weds player to take responsibility to head the ball away, but unfortunately no one did. Extremely annoying and a real shame for Dawson as the clean sheet away at the leagues top scorers would have great for the lad.  That said it was obviously another solid performance for Bullen and they go into the Brum game looking ok. 

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Bad defending all round.

Dawson could/should have punched it.

Winnall could/should have headed it.

Jones could/should have blocked it.

We could/should have had a man on the post. 

Also, and I've only seen it once in real time from behind the goal at the opposite end so stand to be corrected, I thought Palmer giving away the corner in the first place was needless,  it looked like he could have either left the cross without their man getting to it or put it out for a throw instead of kicking it out for a corner. 

Why would Dawson have come for it when it was right on Winnall’s head?

That goal was 100% Winnall’s fault.  Completely misjudged it.  Presumably due to not having his timing back yet.

1 hour ago, bob C said:

You do not wait for any call. You take responsibility until a call is made.

If you attack the ball and then the call comes then berate the keeper for calling late.

If you attack the ball and the call never comes then you have done your job.

If you know the keeper has had a few issues on crosses during the season then protect him and make the decision yourself.

Edited by DobbinTheDonkey

6 minutes ago, bob C said:

Yes about four times , and you , what did you honestly think

I though the lad had a great game if I was going to make a judgment on it I’d say he actually earned us a point on balance not lost us two 

1 hour ago, bob C said:

Interesting post history you have Bob, nice of you to come out of the woodwork to start a thread slagging one of our players off after we have seemingly turned a positive corner this past couple of weeks.........

1 hour ago, bob C said:

1 hour ago, bladeshater said:

Another thread knocking Dawson small minded people 

when your keeper has a flaw in his game it invites people to comment and sides to probe it, and I have noticed more than once that dawson isn't the best under a cross.

he is neither good at coming and claiming one, or at punching, and IF he fails to sort it, it will hound him all his professional career.

however should he manage to get topside of his shortcomings he stands the chance of being a world class keeper, as the rest of his game appears top class.

westwood for me is no.1, but should he leave it will be up to bruce to say if we need a replacement or if we will find one within the club.

either way cameron has to carry on working hard on his game, my bet at this point is he will make it, but it's all in 'his hands' so to speak.

2 hours ago, bob C said:

F.ck off pig tw.t. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dnhc said:

when your keeper has a flaw in his game it invites people to comment and sides to probe it, and I have noticed more than once that dawson isn't the best under a cross.

he is neither good at coming and claiming one, or at punching, and IF he fails to sort it, it will hound him all his professional career.

however should he manage to get topside of his shortcomings he stands the chance of being a world class keeper, as the rest of his game appears top class.

westwood for me is no.1, but should he leave it will be up to bruce to say if we need a replacement or if we will find one within the club.

either way cameron has to carry on working hard on his game, my bet at this point is he will make it, but it's all in 'his hands' so to speak.

All fair points and worthy of debate but is it worthy of starting a whole new thread dedicated to this?

You look at the history of the OP and ask yourself why, after we have taken 7 points from 3 games, against an in-form team climbing the table and 2 top 6 teams, he chooses to make this his first post in 3 years.