Subbed players walking off slowly

I'm by no means condoning the ref ading 9 minutes yesterday. 

But I think walking off extra slow when you are trying to time waste only makes the refs add it on at the end with interest. 

It's all about their perception. And a slow paced walk compared to a medium /slow paced jog doesn't actually waste that much time compared to the time refs penalise for it if they perceive time wasting. 

There clearly weren't 9 minutes of stoppages in that half, West Brom subs all came in one and there were no goals. 

So the ref has added massive time because he perceived we time wasted. 

So to conclude that overlong post, I think we should limit time wasting as it only annoys refs and makes them add 9 minutes from nowhere. 

Edited by Beholder

5 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I'm by no means condoning the ref ading 9 minutes yesterday. 

But I think walking off extra slow when you are trying to time waste only makes the refs add it on at the end with interest. 

It's all about their perception. And a slow paced walk compared to a medium /slow paced jog doesn't actually waste that much time compared to the time refs penalise for it if they perceive time wasting. 

There clearly weren't 9 minutes of stoppages in that half, West Brom subs all came in one and there were no goals. 

So the ref has added massive time because he perceived we time wasted. 

So to conclude that overlong post, I think we should limit time wasting as it only annoys refs and makes them add 9 minutes from nowhere. 

No goals in the second half. Are you sure.

3 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I have been saying for years that refs should time how long it takes a player to leave the field , then treble that in added time if it takes longer than 20 seconds

Tbh I think some refs already do that. 

In the case of yesterday's he squared it by a factor of 8! 

Just now, Beholder said:

Not prior injury time 

I know what you meant to say but the fourth official signalled 6 minutes and the goal was scored on 90+5

I thought the extras were added by the on field ref after the goal, to allow for the celebration by Brunt ( for an own goal by Jones)

In fairness though, according to John Pearson on the Ifollow audio commentary, the board originally signalled 5 but was changed to 6 minutes. 

5 minutes ago, Ian_D said:

Timing should be taken  off the refs. Clock stops when play stops, starts again as soon as play restarts. Not hard to figure that out. 

Well there is talk of changing the rules to have 30 minute halves but the clock stops every time play stops. 

It would  exclude both time wasting and time adding. 

Edited by Beholder

6 minutes did seem a bit excessive but not unexpected. I've seen teams blatantly and cynically waste time at Hillsborough far worse than we did yesterday and the ref's added 3 or 4 minutes. 

However nobody would have complained if they'd put 4 minutes up yesterday and we'd still have blown it at the last because more time would have been put on because of the Matias "injury" incident.  

Different refs have different approaches.

The ref spoke to Dawson not long after we scored: could have been about anything, but I took it as a reminder about time wasting. We should have taken that as a signal that time would be added on.

Although West Brom's substitutions were quick, they followed Rodrigues' sending off, and he was back and forth along the half way line for a minute or two before the substitution were made.

Six minutes seemed reasonable (albeit it might have been less with other referees). Add a bit for the goal and Matias "injury" (ref clearly signalled that he'd stopped the watch) and you've got 8 minutes.

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

6 minutes did seem a bit excessive but not unexpected. I've seen teams blatantly and cynically waste time at Hillsborough far worse than we did yesterday and the ref's added 3 or 4 minutes. 

However nobody would have complained if they'd put 4 minutes up yesterday and we'd still have blown it at the last because more time would have been put on because of the Matias "injury" incident.  

I think there's an unwritten law in english football, about 'knowing your place'

when a (what is deemed) a lesser team is winning at a bigger club, then you double the amount of stoppage time to fully allow the home side every chance to equalise, especially after sending one of the home players off, and being unable to balance that out.

that's why we get shafted at home, and shafted away too, add to that this club has just about always been a set of silly ******ds that will accept anything, and...

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

Well there is talk of changing the rules to have 30 minute halves but the clock stops every time play stops. 

It would  exclude both time wasting and time adding. 

Well the ball is normally only in-play for about an hour anyway. 

Seems absurd to me that this rule change has not already been implemented.

Suppose the authorities are too busy flipping around with the offside rule for the hundredth time to be bothered.