Report: Sheffield Wednesday-bound Steve Bruce plotting three signings

11 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Obviously not as he plays for Tranmere and I support Sheffield Wednesday.

If we're signing a striker he needs to be better than that.

Leicester fans might have said similar about a Fleetwood town striker they got who was in his mid twenties at the time 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Owls-Fan said:

Leicester fans might have said similar about a Fleetwood town striker they got who was in his mid twenties at the time 

You're suggesting that he'll be the next Vardy? lol

Considering Vardy had scored 31 goals in 36 games that season it wasn't as much of a risk as Norwood's record.

PS Vardy was 25 when he moved to Leicester. Norwood is 28.

24 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Obviously not as he plays for Tranmere and I support Sheffield Wednesday.

If we're signing a striker he needs to be better than that.

Quick, point to prove, scored a lot of goals this year. 

Be worth a punt imo, wasn’t sure at first but Tranmere fans seem to think he’s the real deal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

You're suggesting that he'll be the next Vardy? lol

Considering Vardy had scored 31 goals in 36 games that season it wasn't as much of a risk as Norwood's record.

PS Vardy was 25 when he moved to Leicester. Norwood is 28.

No I’m not saying he’s the next Vardy, you’ve missed the point there. It was the type of striker Leicester were signing for £1m at the time that they would have questioned.

The Saints also spent £1m on 27 year old Richie lambert at Bristol rovers, who had a similar scoring record as Norwood. But I forget that you can still have potential to play in higher leagues at 25 and 27, but not at 28 as you have pointed out 

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

No I’m not saying he’s the next Vardy, you’ve missed the point there. It was the type of striker Leicester were signing for £1m at the time that they would have questioned.

The Saints also spent £1m on 27 year old Richie lambert at Bristol rovers, who had a similar scoring record as Norwood. But I forget that you can still have potential to play in higher leagues at 25 and 27, but not at 28 as you have pointed out 

I'm 38 and have fookall potential. Sign me, please, anybody.. 

30 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Southampton signed Lambert as a league 1 team. He was a signing to get them out of the division. They didn't expect him to have the impact he had. We need instant impact not a he may make it considering we have good enough strikers already.

At his age if he was good enough for our division he'd already be here.

34 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Quick, point to prove, scored a lot of goals this year. 

Be worth a punt imo, wasn’t sure at first but Tranmere fans seem to think he’s the real deal.

Maybe who knows. But I think in our financial situation we shouldn't be taking risks. We should be spending the money we have on proven quality. Especially when you consider the quality we already possess upfront.

3 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Southampton signed Lambert as a league 1 team. He was a signing to get them out of the division. They didn't expect him to have the impact he had. We need instant impact not a he may make it considering we have good enough strikers already.

At his age if he was good enough for our division he'd already be here.

Yes exactly and Leicester - and no one- didn’t expect Vardy to have the impact he did, in fact they were close to selling him to us. So my point is you don’t know how a player will perform in higher leagues, no matter how old. You might be right that Norwood wouldn’t succeed, but as he’d be a cheap signing with our budget restraints I wouldn’t dismiss it completely. Especially if I hadn’t seen him play personally 

Edited by Owls-Fan

Here's a question to ponder. Looking at the last 3 games and yes it's only 3 but do we miss Forestieri? As some have said he's not a regular these days due to injury etc anyway . Should we be looking to cash in to give Bruce some funds or lessen the effect of ffp?

3 minutes ago, darra said:

Here's a question to ponder. Looking at the last 3 games and yes it's only 3 but do we miss Forestieri? As some have said he's not a regular these days due to injury etc anyway . Should we be looking to cash in to give Bruce some funds or lessen the effect of ffp?

It's a good question.  Do we cash in?  If we went with that approach, the chances are we won't get the best price for him now, more so considering what Fernando was worth two seasons ago.  

You could argue that it would be best to get what we can for him and reinvest in other areas factoring in the constraints of the FFP.

My personal choice would be to get him back to his best, playing for us week in week out, FF at is best would destroy a lot of teams in this division.  Once the goals starts flowing again with more consistency, his value will no doubt soar.  Certainly will put us in a much stronger position than if we were to sell him now imo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, darra said:

Of course he would improve like he always does.

9 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

James Tavernier looks a great RB. I know we had him on loan but used him mainly as a winger. 

He’s excelling now at RB but I doubt we could afford him. 

Come one now, we've done the 'talented wing back from Scotland' before and it was a disaster, let's not do it again.  :sad:

Someone with Champ experience please.  Please.  

Think we need to cash in on ff and sadly maybe another. 

Were crying out for pace upfront and midfielder. Will be interesting to see how Bruce puts his stamp on us. Last two managers have come from nowhere, so hopefully Bruce will be able to show us what and who he knows within English football.