Bruce motivation and commitment

19 hours ago, axolotl said:

He is on a family vacation after losing both his parents this year. I don't see it as a lack of commitment or motivation - I'm sure he could live very comfortably without taking on a new job, and the pressures and stresses that come with it.

Many people have a break before starting a new job. I did it with my current one. And besides, as far as I know, we aren't paying him anything at the moment, so if it is all about cash, he's not making anything off of us while he's on holiday

Agreed. I give 100% to my job but my family comes first. Why should it be different for a football manager

10 hours ago, Portugal Owl said:

I realise it may be irrelevant in the context of how good Steve Bruce may be as a manager. But he seems to me to be a decent man. I say this from the only time I ever spoke to him. It was playoff day and well before the start I was walking past a hotel in London and SB was standing outside the front door talking to someone I think was one of his coaching staff. I asked if I was OK to take a photo and he said yes. I took it and said thanks, but I can’t wish you Good luck. I am a Wednesday supporter. He nodded his head and said “I fully understand”. May not seem a lot but I realised he really did understand what it means to be a supporter. Whether he comes to Hillsborough or not I have respect for him as a human being.  We are all passionate about our club. But resorting to personal abuse and showing no respect for others is reprehensible. Fortunately as this post shows it is only a tiny minority who behave like that.

After the first couple of lines of that story I fully expected something far better than 3 words from Bruce. Something charitable, keepy uppies outside the hotel or even a lift to Wembley. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, CLswfc said:

Well take it up with me buddy. Nothing to do with common decency or lack of respect. We as a club have had the pi** took out of us for too long and it just continues. If you comfortable in the club waiting for some one who may be taking an holiday for whatever reason then he or anyone else cant complain if the chairman thinks f**k it Ill get some one else in. Jesus, the meltdown on here would be unmentionable. But lets all sit and wait for this 40 a week manager because it doesn't really matter, as the  other guy who as had abuse recently on here is doing a good job managing the 1st team anyway.

If you want to get personal then fir away buddy.

You’ve got serious issues lad. Get a grip!

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:15, cowl said:

I think the fact that Bruce has activated his lieutenants to do some spadework says at least something positive for Bruce's attitude towards the job. Something positive, and yet not entirely positive, of course.

Also, the reasoning given for Bruce's delay I'll take at face value as it seems like a perfectly reasonable and acceptable reason.

In any case, I don't think it's a bad thing for us that there'll be this buffer period between management teams. We've already seen from the last two games the increased level of performance and confidence from the players. It should make it easier for Bruce to come in and hopefully hit the ground running.

I also think it's perfectly legitimate to query Bruce's commitment though. Certainly, we'd have all been pointing to his commitment had we learnt he'd cancelled or cut-short a family holiday in order to get started on the job. I suppose time will tell anyway.

I agree that it is perfectly legitimate to query Bruce's commitment, but I don't think that the case is proven in any shape or form.

I think the most likely scenario is that Bruce has realised that SWFC need a decent manager far more than he needs a new job. To a large extent, he has realised that he can call the shots and dictate terms. One of those terms that he has set  is that he has a family holiday and time to recharge his batteries after a difficult 2018, the events of which are well documented elsewhere in this thread.

DC had the option of saying to Bruce - " jog on, I'll find someone else to manage my club then" - but, wisely in my view, he decided not to.

I understand he needs time, family comes first etc.

But why not say

Looking forward to getting back to work ...... a new challenge on Jan ?.....Sheffield :biggrin: are a massive club etc....

My guess is he has agreed nothing yet...maybe ironing out a 'few details' :rolleyes:... is taking longer than thought.

BBC football focus said he's joining us end of Jan though...does the clubs website man not work on Saturday?