Bruce motivation and commitment

Just now, ReadingOwl said:

So what you’re saying is “he’s not that keen”?

Or, “I’ll come on my terms” (fantastic ones at that).

If we have to beg him - he’s not for me. So, I’d just wish people would stop making excuses for him.

I'm giving an alternative scenario that's about him having different priorities than some SWFC fans.  I'm not saying you or anyone else has to like it. 

I'm just saying that he might be choosing his family as a priority over starting a new job.  Lots of people defer starting new jobs with their new employers blessing. 

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

No I don't blame him for coming...if he had the misfortune to read the OP.. I wouldn't blame him for changing his mind either.

No tickertape welcome from me... just guarded respect for his achievements and an open(ish) mind.

If he genuinely changed his mind off the back of reading the OP then I'd say we've dodged a bullet.

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

Well what. Folk don't like the truth but then again what do you expect with 'sheep' mentality. What as the OP or myself said so bad that its got quite a few people rattled. Nothing disrespectful at all its just that you all have to follow suit which is quite farcical. We are only saying what quite a few are thinking but cant say it because of the fear of upsetting the resident clowns. If you read the threads you will all know where I sit. If you have an issue come and discuss it like a grown man . Are you a grown man or am I being presumptious..

Oo.... your ’ard.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

I'm giving an alternative scenario that's about him having different priorities than some SWFC fans.  I'm not saying you or anyone else has to like it. 

I'm just saying that he might be choosing his family as a priority over starting a new job.  Lots of people defer starting new jobs with their new employers blessing. 

I thought it was all about compassionate leave?

Isnt that what all the outrage was about in this thread - not giving him time to grieve?

I realise it may be irrelevant in the context of how good Steve Bruce may be as a manager. But he seems to me to be a decent man. I say this from the only time I ever spoke to him. It was playoff day and well before the start I was walking past a hotel in London and SB was standing outside the front door talking to someone I think was one of his coaching staff. I asked if I was OK to take a photo and he said yes. I took it and said thanks, but I can’t wish you Good luck. I am a Wednesday supporter. He nodded his head and said “I fully understand”. May not seem a lot but I realised he really did understand what it means to be a supporter. Whether he comes to Hillsborough or not I have respect for him as a human being.  We are all passionate about our club. But resorting to personal abuse and showing no respect for others is reprehensible. Fortunately as this post shows it is only a tiny minority who behave like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I thought it was all about compassionate leave?

Isnt that what all the outrage was about in this thread - not giving him time to grieve?

I don't know what people's motives are. 

It seems to me the OP was unkind and disrespectful in the way he posed his speculative question. 

It also seems to me that using words like 'outrage' and 'faux outrage' is a rhetorical attempt to undermine people challenging the OP by belittling their views. 

1 minute ago, Portugal Owl said:

I realise it may be irrelevant in the context of how good Steve Bruce may be as a manager. But he seems to me to be a decent man. I say this from the only time I ever spoke to him. It was playoff day and well before the start I was walking past a hotel in London and SB was standing outside the front door talking to someone I think was one of his coaching staff. I asked if I was OK to take a photo and he said yes. I took it and said thanks, but I can’t wish you Good luck. I am a Wednesday supporter. He nodded his head and said “I fully understand”. May not seem a lot but I realised he really did understand what it means to be a supporter. Whether he comes to Hillsborough or not I have respect for him as a human being.  We are all passionate about our club. But resorting to personal abuse and showing no respect for others is reprehensible. Fortunately as this post shows it is only a tiny minority who behave like that.

It's a tricky accent to understand at times....Are you sure he didn't say, "Ah, fuckingcunty band."

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

I don't know what people's motives are. 

It seems to me the OP was unkind and disrespectful in the way he posed his speculative question. 

It also seems to me that using words like 'outrage' and 'faux outrage' is a rhetorical attempt to undermine people challenging the OP by belittling their views. 

You get fed up of “faux outrage”. And, on social forums you get a lot. Once the bandwagon starts rolling.

How many pages had the thread gone before I posted - almost unanimously every post complaining about the OP. 

Its the faux outrage that stops people posting - “Allow the man to grieve”.

You do realise as sad as it is, his parents died in February and May this year?

Why is questioning  his commitment a taboo subject?

I think the substance of the OP is good - once you dismiss the insensitivities.

Edited by ReadingOwl

I think the fact that Bruce has activated his lieutenants to do some spadework says at least something positive for Bruce's attitude towards the job. Something positive, and yet not entirely positive, of course.

Also, the reasoning given for Bruce's delay I'll take at face value as it seems like a perfectly reasonable and acceptable reason.

In any case, I don't think it's a bad thing for us that there'll be this buffer period between management teams. We've already seen from the last two games the increased level of performance and confidence from the players. It should make it easier for Bruce to come in and hopefully hit the ground running.

I also think it's perfectly legitimate to query Bruce's commitment though. Certainly, we'd have all been pointing to his commitment had we learnt he'd cancelled or cut-short a family holiday in order to get started on the job. I suppose time will tell anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ReadingOwl said:

You get fed up of “faux outrage”. And, on social forums you get a lot. Once the bandwagon starts rolling.

How many pages had the thread gone before I posted - almost unanimously every post complain8ng about the OP. 

Its the faux faux outrage that stops people posting - “Allow the man to grieve”.

You do realise as sad as it is, his parents died in February and May this year?

Why is Question his commitment a taboo subject?

Especially in the light of the fact he may not have known about the stated reason for the delay in Bruce accepting the job.

This thread has been a perfect example of a wade-in though.

9 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I think it's the insensitivities that set the tone for the whole thread. 

You get a lot of that on social media especially when the bandwagon gets rolling. 

It leads to 'faux outrage '.

lol

1 minute ago, cowl said:

Especially in the light of the fact he may not have known about the stated reason for the delay in Bruce accepting the job.

This thread has been a perfect example of a wade-in though.

It was a dog's dinner of an OP what ever "knowledge", he was in possession of.

My rule with social media or any form of anonymous interaction is that I don't type anything I wouldn't say to someone when looking them directly in the eye.

Balmowl might consider this when he's making dispariging remarks that add nothing to the debate.

51 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Those are fair points and, I agree.

But let’s be honest, he’s got slated for questioning Bruce’s motivation. Not, in the main his content.

He dared to question why Bruce needed compassionate leave after this length of time? Most posters think that is an outrageous thing to raise.

It isn’t really - it’s just that they want Bruce at any cost.

Like they did Fletcher and Rhodes.

You’ve never seen either play, you don’t go to any games, your continuous negativity is quite frankly boring and worthless ..... HNY!

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

Like being your older brother.

I'm guessing someone's upset! Didn't Santa bring you what you wanted? 

You're embarrassing yourself pal. 

You don't want green arrows you want red ones.... either way you are an attention seeking knobheeed. 

• Thanks 1