Jump to content
theowlsman

Westwood - 2 Games 2 Clean Sheets

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Its cost us a lot of points. Not down to footballing ability though. Its down to one thing only !! players not wanting to play for a manager. Dawson had zero help from westwood. Keep praising KW all you want but fact is when he not being picked he wont lift a finger to help the younger keepers on match day

He wasn’t in the match day squad for months. How was he going to help?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

 

I wouldn’t say I backed Jos over it, I did think it was contractual with regards Westwood though so I backed Dawson , as I think the majority did to be fair or at least wanted to see the kid do well 

 

If Westwood carries on playing I still maintain either Dawson or Wildsmith needs to be sold or loaned out, can’t have two keepers like them at that age not playing 

 

To be fair i was only saying it tongue in cheek. Im wrong 10 tines a day on Owlstalk about most things anyway lol

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Has me giggling that has.

Its the normal lack of concentration bud, I'm sure he was a goldfish in his previous life, he seems to see the man run past, but Dosent react, its like it takes the brain too long to compute lol

Having said that vast improvement last couple of games from the lad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

LB even stated Dawson has been our most consistent performer this season ?? So why has our results improved when he not playing ?? Its not because KW is a better goalkeeper. Dawson has had far to much stick already this season unfairly. My issue is a post dedicated to praising KW when anyone who thinks that our bad results are entirely due to Dawson and the change in fortunes is entirely down to KW is totally wrong and just another kick in the face for Dawson. It even more wrong when the players infront of Dawson decided mot to play and this has now been proven yet some still see the messiah as KW and slate Dawson for the results !!!

 

It’s about a keeper organising the defence and the defence having confidence in the keeper.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally feel sorry for Joe Wildsmith . Played so well last year. Jos didn't even consider trying him when Dawson struggled.  Don't get me wrong. I don't think Dawson did anything other than his best and was superb at times . However in goalkeepers ,experience counts and Westwood has that. Now that he is back involved with the 1st team he can get back to helping the younger keepers too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, owlfandbg said:

I personally feel sorry for Joe Wildsmith . Played so well last year. Jos didn't even consider trying him when Dawson struggled.  Don't get me wrong. I don't think Dawson did anything other than his best and was superb at times . However in goalkeepers ,experience counts and Westwood has that. Now that he is back involved with the 1st team he can get back to helping the younger keepers too.

I think he produced some fairly lacklustre displays for the development side, and wasn’t great in the cup Probably ought to go out on loan next month

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, owlfandbg said:

I personally feel sorry for Joe Wildsmith . Played so well last year. Jos didn't even consider trying him when Dawson struggled.  Don't get me wrong. I don't think Dawson did anything other than his best and was superb at times . However in goalkeepers ,experience counts and Westwood has that. Now that he is back involved with the 1st team he can get back to helping the younger keepers too.

 

It does amaze me considering how comfortable Jos was to chop and change everyone else that he didn’t do the same with Joe and Cameron

 

I’m a big fan of both the young keepers, and i just hope Luhukays blind faith in Dawson doesn’t damage him in the long run, hopefully the owner sees fit to give one of them the chance of a good loan move 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel safe seeing KW in net. Imagine what the players feel. 

 

KW’s presence alone will give huge confidence to Lees, Hector etc. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kingsidney said:

He wasn’t in the match day squad for months. How was he going to help?

I apologise for assuming others have experience of being a professional footballer as there is lots of un written rules, 1 is if you not in the match day squad this does not mean you are expected to stay away from the team. Basically if your name is not in the squad at home (away matches is different as the manager tells you if you on the coach and travelling if not being selected) the amount of input if any is up to the player themselves. If you are a experienced player and not in the squad it was almost expected that you would be around for the younger team players to help if needed or just to jee players up or help moral its just what the older guys coming to the end of playing days do. Nobody would make them do this but the amount of input is left to the players discretion. I remember from my youth a goalkeeper of 4 or 5 years being no.1 was dropped for the younger reserve keeper by the manager and the experienced goal keeper basically assumed the role without any prompting of a match day coach passing on as much experience as he could to the youngster. All i could hear in the midfield was the older goalie shouting at the young keeper on how to marshal and  defend. KW is very vocal. Not when Dawson was playing !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the OT clowns were actually questioning if Westwood still had it...it was never in doubt!!! 

 

Give your heads a wobble.

 

back jos, back Dawson...he sees him every day he knows more than us!! Utter gonads and it’s been proved.

  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will say it again, losing 2 or arguably with Pudil, call it 3 defenders, we were always going to struggle. That’s why we needed Westwood in the net - experience and organisation. If you’re asking me if we started the season with Westwood, we’d be better off? I dunno. I think getting rid of Jos has had a greater effect on results, certainly in the short term. We all know we should have got rid of Jos earlier 

Edited by pgmetcalf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

LB even stated Dawson has been our most consistent performer this season ?? So why has our results improved when he not playing ?? Its not because KW is a better goalkeeper. Dawson has had far to much stick already this season unfairly. My issue is a post dedicated to praising KW when anyone who thinks that our bad results are entirely due to Dawson and the change in fortunes is entirely down to KW is totally wrong and just another kick in the face for Dawson. It even more wrong when the players infront of Dawson decided mot to play and this has now been proven yet some still see the messiah as KW and slate Dawson for the results !!!

Praising Westwood and slating Dawson don’t go hand in hand. I think the general consensus is that Westwood brings experience, leadership and organisation to the team (Something that the team was badly lacking especially with the loss of Loovens and the exclusion of Hutchinson and some of the other senior pros).

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Praising Westwood and slating Dawson don’t go hand in hand. I think the general consensus is that Westwood brings experience, leadership and organisation to the team (Something that the team was badly lacking especially with the loss of Loovens and the exclusion of Hutchinson and some of the other senior pros).

 

 

Precisely this. You can praise someone without it being a swipe at someone else. 

 

Dawsons time will come again for us for sure, just hopefully not too soon as don’t want KW to leave just yet.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, deano said:

We just look so solid again, fantastic. 

 

Absolutely baffling what was going through Jos's head. 

 

symptomatic of his thinking this season - all so odd after such a strong finish to last

 

only he will know why ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Royal_D said:

 

It does amaze me considering how comfortable Jos was to chop and change everyone else that he didn’t do the same with Joe and Cameron

 

I’m a big fan of both the young keepers, and i just hope Luhukays blind faith in Dawson doesn’t damage him in the long run, hopefully the owner sees fit to give one of them the chance of a good loan move 

 

I suggested this on quite a few occasions and got plenty of negs for it...………….was told I wasn`t "clever enough" to see the bigger picture in what JL was doing.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Blue and white said:

There were a good few, however today isn't a day for nit picking and bickering, today is a day for celebrating 3 great points.

True that is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol

 

Two clean sheets and everyone thinks we’re world beaters again. Personally don’t think swapping Westwood for Dawson has made too much of a difference. We’ve gone back to basics under Bullen and the players are enjoying a new manager bounce. That’s why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Some of the OT clowns were actually questioning if Westwood still had it...it was never in doubt!!! 

 

Give your heads a wobble.

 

back jos, back Dawson...he sees him every day he knows more than us!! Utter gonads and it’s been proved.

How on Earth can you say that? lol

He hadn't played for a year and his performances beforehand had been well below par. Unless you were privy to training sessions, it was impossible to say with any certainty either way whether he still "had it" or not.

Fortunately, early signs are promising, but it'll be interesting to see what happens against an opposition that gets more shots away

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

lol

 

Two clean sheets and everyone thinks we’re world beaters again. Personally don’t think swapping Westwood for Dawson has made too much of a difference. We’ve gone back to basics under Bullen and the players are enjoying a new manager bounce. That’s why. 

Who knows, but personally, I wouldn't underestimate the difference an experienced keeper as good as Westwood can make throughout a team. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

How on Earth can you say that? lol

He hadn't played for a year and his performances beforehand had been well below par. Unless you were privy to training sessions, it was impossible to say with any certainty either way whether he still "had it" or not.

Fortunately, early signs are promising, but it'll be interesting to see what happens against an opposition that gets more shots away

 

Im staggered that you can even argue the point to be honest...his hands hadn't fallen off during his exile had they?? 

 

he’s still only 34, which for a keeper is nothing these days. He his still in his prime.

 

as I have said on here many times, a keeper isn’t just a keeper. He’s part of the back four and in the last 2 games you can see the confidence returning to the back four and it comes from the keepers organisation etc... beyond that there is no doubting Westwood’s ability nor the fact he’s the best keeper at the club!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...