Westwood - 2 Games 2 Clean Sheets

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying Dawson had a excellent game, in truth he didn't have that much to do. He did have a good game though, against a free-scoring team it was a potentially tough game for him to come back into with the team having kept 2 clean sheets without him so he did a solid job.

It would be ultra critical to blame him for the goal, we had enough players to deal with the corner without him having to come and claim it. Said at the time the sub was made that if Nuhiu was going off then Fletcher should come on to maintain more of a presence. 

Would have gladly taken a point before kick-off and it is great to see the way we have looked like an organised team over the last 3 games, just disappointing that we have only taken 2 points against West Brom this season when the performances have merited 6. 

Thing is though Hirsty, Westwood had even less to do against Preston and Boro and got all the plaudits. 

Mainly down to better defending in front of him (in my opinion). If Westwood had been in the sticks yesterday nobody would be questioning WBA goal but because it was Dawson thsts a different matter. 

5 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Thing is though Hirsty, Westwood had even less to do against Preston and Boro and got all the plaudits. 

Mainly down to better defending in front of him (in my opinion). If Westwood had been in the sticks yesterday nobody would be questioning WBA goal but because it was Dawson thsts a different matter. 

You are probably right on that, it will only be a few that feel that way but even still it is disappointing. 

I have always preferred to have Westwood in goal as I think he is our best keeper, mainly due to his experience and organisational ability. I think Dawson is a solid keeper who should have a good future at this level but Jos put him in a difficult position, making him the number 1 when we have a keeper who has been excellent for us for years and also changing the defence constantly. Saying things like he hadn't seen enough of Westwood in action made his argument even harder for many fans to accept and indirectly put more pressure on Dawson.

It was clear from day 1 that Jos didn't want to pick Westwood. With that in mind the club should have done all they could to move Westwood on last January and get him off the wage bill. There are also conflicting rumours that have suggested that Westwood turned down a move or the club stopped a move for him in the summer. Why would we stop a move to get a well-paid player off the books when our manager had no intention of using him? We now look destined him to lose him for nothing either next month or at the end of the season having paid him to play 2 games in the past year. Had he not been at the club at the start of the season the scrutiny of Dawson would have been far less intense.  

Guest Willow Owl
19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You are probably right on that, it will only be a few that feel that way but even still it is disappointing. 

I have always preferred to have Westwood in goal as I think he is our best keeper, mainly due to his experience and organisational ability. I think Dawson is a solid keeper who should have a good future at this level but Jos put him in a difficult position, making him the number 1 when we have a keeper who has been excellent for us for years and also changing the defence constantly. Saying things like he hadn't seen enough of Westwood in action made his argument even harder for many fans to accept and indirectly put more pressure on Dawson.

It was clear from day 1 that Jos didn't want to pick Westwood. With that in mind the club should have done all they could to move Westwood on last January and get him off the wage bill. There are also conflicting rumours that have suggested that Westwood turned down a move or the club stopped a move for him in the summer. Why would we stop a move to get a well-paid player off the books when our manager had no intention of using him? We now look destined him to lose him for nothing either next month or at the end of the season having paid him to play 2 games in the past year. Had he not been at the club at the start of the season the scrutiny of Dawson would have been far less intense.  

I agree the Westwood of 18/24 months ago was a great keeper and would be our no 1 no doubt. The problem is, the Westwood at the beginning of last season was not the same keeper. He was slow and his reflexes and positioning were poor ( Derby against the pigs last year) prime example. 

Maybe the club did all they could to off load him because of the above but no one was either interested or willing to pay his wages. Or they were simply concerned regarding his recent injury record. I agree regarding his organisational skills but Dawson will get that with more experience and games. My major concern with Westwood is his abilty to put together a run of games without being injured or being unable to play because of aches and pains (yesterday as an example). I also believe that Jos being useless has made the pressure on Dawson at times unbearable. I fully believe Dawson will be a better keeper now we are playing a settled back four. 

On 26/12/2018 at 21:38, cowl said:

He didn't just drop them though; he excluded them. Terrible management which was always bound to blow up in his face - and so needless too. You can discipline players without having to exclude them completely. Just ridiculous judgement from Luhukay.

I not really sure we have the full details of JL reign regarding players frozen out. If certain players were totally pushed a side I can only assume it was due to the dropped players attitude not right. Surely any manager realises experience pros still have the ability and knowledge duty to pass on experience and tips to youngsters and newcomers. I can only assume the players dropped weren't willing to do this. Good example is Martin hodge was swfc no. 1 for 4 or 5 years. Eventually Kevin pressman impressed enough and hodge got less mobile and hodge was dropped and pressman picked. But hodge before every game was warning Kevin up and helping him. KW was nowhere to be seen. JL or KW decision. We will find out eventually