Westwood - 2 Games 2 Clean Sheets

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Avoiding the question....which isn't a surprise given you are making a very good claim to be the site idiot

How would we have gone on? Try Wildsmith, the kid who did an outstanding job backing up Westwood for the past 2 years and if he's not up to it, yes bring in someone. 

Edited by sam1

5 minutes ago, sam1 said:

Dawson requires 5 defenders every game, still can't keep clean sheets. We had 11 men behind the ball against sheff u and he was throwing himself of at keeping a clean sheet, if this is the standard we are setting then it's pathetic. 24 games with 5 defenders 2 clean sheets (one with 11 defenders). 2 clean sheets in 2 for Westwood with 4 defenders looking a lot more solid and another option up top. If people want to keep defending league 2 quality players then that's up to them

That's BS, Dawson did just great with 4 ahead of him all game, actually 95 minutes even... then the whole team slipped and fumbled that ball across from a set piece...

Just now, N0rtherner said:

That's BS, Dawson did just great with 4 ahead of him all game, actually 95 minutes even... then the whole team slipped and fumbled that ball across from a set piece...

Funny how we never had any lapses in the last 2 games. More to keeping than shot stopping. 

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Been available being the main one

Wildsmith is available. 

1 minute ago, N0rtherner said:

Go watch the highlights and replay the goal then let me know why Dawson is to blame for that goal.

Ah he's not then.. We've conceded second most goals in the league, fans are crying out for Westwood, we get him and keep 2 clean sheets in 2. Must all be coincidence. 

Just now, sam1 said:

Wildsmith is available. 

Ah he's not then.. We've conceded second most goals in the league, fans are crying out for Westwood, we get him and keep 2 clean sheets in 2. Must all be coincidence. 

So you want to use Wildsmiths availability combined with Westwoods performances to kick Dawson....what a bizarre thing you are

Dawson has weaknesses to his game that need work.

His punching can be poor, so when he does  punch the ball and doesn't get a clean hit his confidence goes and he can retreat and stop coming for the ball.

His decision making can be poor as well as his starting positions

Distribution can be poor.

A settled defence should help him but he still has to organise it.

The defence didn't help him today, any cross that comes into the box has to be attacked by whoever is defending as you know there is a chance he isn't going to come for the ball.

A big problem appears to be a mistrust between the defence and the keeper but again a settled defence should help.

Jos didn't help with having him roll the ball out to the defence all the time, due to his poor decision making he sometimes put defenders under pressure which in turn put us under pressure.

Dawson is a big unit, he needs to be braver command his 6 yard box and clear everyone in his path as he comes for the ball. If he masters this and keeps praticing his kicking we should have a very good keeper on our hands. But while the mistrust exists between his defence and the crowd then nervousness will naturally creep in.

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

So you want to use Wildsmiths availability combined with Westwoods performances to kick Dawson....what a bizarre thing you are

No I'm saying someone who is clearly out of their depth and is unable to keep a clean sheet should not be given a shirt over someone who is available and has proven himself capable. 

5 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Dawson has weaknesses to his game that need work.

His punching can be poor, so when he does  punch the ball and doesn't get a clean hit his confidence goes and he can retreat and stop coming for the ball.

His decision making can be poor as well as his starting positions

Distribution can be poor.

A settled defence should help him but he still has to organise it.

The defence didn't help him today, any cross that comes into the box has to be attacked by whoever is defending as you know there is a chance he isn't going to come for the ball.

A big problem appears to be a mistrust between the defence and the keeper but again a settled defence should help.

Jos didn't help with having him roll the ball out to the defence all the time, due to his poor decision making he sometimes put defenders under pressure which in turn put us under pressure.

Dawson is a big unit, he needs to be braver command his 6 yard box and clear everyone in his path as he comes for the ball. If he masters this and keeps praticing his kicking we should have a very good keeper on our hands. But while the mistrust exists between his defence and the crowd then nervousness will naturally creep in.

I think the roll out tactic was used as his distribution is appalling. 

I agree the defence has no trust in him whatsoever and it leads to nervy defending. But again, we never had this problem when Wildsmith stood in for Westwood. 

Guest Willow Owl
15 minutes ago, sam1 said:

Funny how we never had any lapses in the last 2 games. More to keeping than shot stopping. 

Think you need to take the westwood posters down mate they must be covered in man fat. Have a listen to what WBA manager Darren Moore says about how we defended as a team. Something that could not be said before Jos got sack. Suggest this is the main reason we are defending better and not just down to Westwood. 

Guest Willow Owl
7 hours ago, McRightSide said:

He did very well, and then blew it in the last minute unfortunately 

Flat ball, 6 years out, limited traffic. Rooted

Limited traffic, we had 8 players around or in 6 yard box. Flat ball aimed at front post, Winnall totally missed his header and Jones didn't react quick enough. We had more than enough defenders to clear the danger. Dawson had an excellent game in my opinion and looked better with a settled defence. I would however question why Winnall was brought on instead of Fletcher, who is excellent at defending and would not  have missed that header at the near post that Winnall missed. Just my opinion! 

8 hours ago, sam1 said:

That clean sheet run soon came to a juddering halt when he who shall not be slagged got a shirt. Think we're at a crossroads. Flirt with relegation and play Dawson or get Westwood back, give him a new contract and challenge for top 6.

Absolutely preposterous statement. Even after a composed game and a defensive error from an outfield player and still we have idiots blaming Dawson

Give me strength ...

• Like 1

On 26/12/2018 at 16:57, deano said:

We just look so solid again, fantastic. 

Absolutely baffling what was going through Jos's head. 

Nothing baffling about it. Players wanted JL out and made it happen by putting in drab performances. KW has nothing to do with better results. Has LB got a magic wand ??? No. 

8 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Limited traffic, we had 8 players around or in 6 yard box. Flat ball aimed at front post, Winnall totally missed his header and Jones didn't react quick enough. We had more than enough defenders to clear the danger. Dawson had an excellent game in my opinion and looked better with a settled defence. I would however question why Winnall was brought on instead of Fletcher, who is excellent at defending and would not  have missed that header at the near post that Winnall missed. Just my opinion! 

Yes. Limited traffic. No-one near him (relative to most corners)

9 hours ago, sam1 said:

Dawson requires 5 defenders every game, still can't keep clean sheets. We had 11 men behind the ball against sheff u and he was throwing himself of at keeping a clean sheet, if this is the standard we are setting then it's pathetic. 24 games with 5 defenders 2 clean sheets (one with 11 defenders). 2 clean sheets in 2 for Westwood with 4 defenders looking a lot more solid and another option up top. If people want to keep defending league 2 quality players then that's up to them

What a load of garbage

11 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying Dawson had a excellent game, in truth he didn't have that much to do. He did have a good game though, against a free-scoring team it was a potentially tough game for him to come back into with the team having kept 2 clean sheets without him so he did a solid job.

It would be ultra critical to blame him for the goal, we had enough players to deal with the corner without him having to come and claim it. Said at the time the sub was made that if Nuhiu was going off then Fletcher should come on to maintain more of a presence. 

Would have gladly taken a point before kick-off and it is great to see the way we have looked like an organised team over the last 3 games, just disappointing that we have only taken 2 points against West Brom this season when the performances have merited 6. 

Dawson was great yesterday.

He made a wonder stop from Robson Kanu which at the time I thought would have secured us the points.

He has been unfairly and harshly treated by our fans, deserved a clean sheet yesterday and was let down by more senior players than himself. Yet some morons still want to blame him.