Let's assume it's Steve Bruce, happy with that?

4 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

Why? Money doesn't guarantee success as we've seen over the last 3 years. Sometimes a manager can get the best out of the hand he's been belt and doesn't have to stick or twist 

Why what? Sorry i dont follow your point as a response to my earlier post.

The more I think about it the happier I am. 

Hes spent his whole managerial career in the prem or fighting for promotion to it, and been successful in doing so 4 times. He’s a big name who’ll command respect, probably the biggest name boss we’ve had since Big Ron. And history shows that when me make ambitious managerial appointments it tends to work out.

Yes he might not be exciting or play thrilling football but he’s at the very least a good solid old school manager who knows the division inside out. Along similar lines to Warnock and McCarthy but probably coming with more good will from the fans, which is another positive. 

Confident he’ll have what it takes to stabilise things this year and kick on next season after some skilful wheeler dealing in the transfer market. 

There’s no guarantees in football, but the mess we’re in (...or give the impression we’re in) we’d be lucky to get some one, at this level, with a CV like his. Might still not work out anyway. I’d be a little surprised he’d take it but he’s from a time where he’ll recognise our potential size...

5 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Positives:

1) he's likely to be his own man. Won't be dictated to. So this could signify the end of the influence of Doyen.

That outweighs all the negatives for me.

Paixao was outside having a fag with chansiri before game (I saw them) so I wouldn't celebrate just yet.

When the news broke that we were talking to Bruce I totally dismissed the notion that he would take the job as the club appeared to be an utter basket case. However, it's looking likely he is incoming which I think would be a masterstroke by Chansiri. I really don't believe there is currently anyone better qualified to take us forward. I'm still concerned about our FFP financial situation so pleasantly surprised that he would consider coming. Maybe things aren't as bad as we thought.

7 hours ago, Mycroft said:

None of those have had major success in football since they left so its a fair assumption that they wouldn't have fared any better than CC and Jos

Sorry but that is wrong. Paul Jewell came to us having had success with Bradford City. After leaving us he went to Wigan and took them to the EPL. At that particular time the manager(s) weren't the problem, the clubs finances were.

Also let's remember that Jewell's final game in charge of Wigan relegated the Blunts!

Said elsewhere that Bruce has always showed respect for the club - maybe dates back to his days locking horns with our side in the early 90s. 

The thing folk need to get used to (and be patient with) is that he prefers solidity to flair, experience to youth and talent over tactics. He isn’t a Colin - we will only go up if we have better players than the other teams around us. 

But - with his contacts (eg Solsjaer) - he gets loans that others can only dream of. Bolaisse FFS - cost Everton 20 million - how did he manage that?

There are folk in the squad that he knows well like Boyd and Onomah - wouldn’t be surprised if he talks at length with GB about who to keep and who to let go. 

Bottom line - Meggo/ Pearson (N) or Gray would have come for less I suspect and there is a case for us trying an up and coming Brit. That said - look at Ipswich and Leeds trying that with Hurst and Hecky.

So. As someone else said, this is about the highest profile appointment by us since Big Ron.

7/10 Happy. 

Bring it on!

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Said elsewhere that Bruce has always showed respect for the club - maybe dates back to his days locking horns with our side in the early 90s. 

The thing folk need to get used to (and be patient with) is that he prefers solidity to flair, experience to youth and talent over tactics. He isn’t a Colin - we will only go up if we have better players than the other teams around us. 

But - with his contacts (eg Solsjaer) - he gets loans that others can only dream of. Bolaisse FFS - cost Everton 20 million - how did he manage that?

There are folk in the squad that he knows well like Boyd and Onomah - wouldn’t be surprised if he talks at length with GB about who to keep and who to let go. 

Bottom line - Meggo/ Pearson (N) or Gray would have come for less I suspect and there is a case for us trying an up and coming Brit. That said - look at Ipswich and Leeds trying that with Hurst and Hecky. As someone else said, this is about the highest profile appointment by us since Big Ron.

7/10 Happy. Bring it on!

Great post mate.

Not sure when it was first mooted. Thought he seemed like a busted flush at Villa even though in terms of this league he had plenty to spend. Also at Hull he had a healthy budget buying players like Livermore Huddlestone etc. I wondered what the prospects are here for spending cash as we are on the edge of FFP. Can only think Reach or Bannan are going to make some funds available. Looking now I think its a brave move maybe DCs last throw of the dice. So I will support it and cross my fingers that it works. Come on you Owls lets fly up that league and show the world who we are again.

Not sure he’s what we need long term but in the short term it could prove to be good business.

Whatever our opinion we all need to back him fully 

6 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Not sure when it was first mooted. Thought he seemed like a busted flush at Villa even though in terms of this league he had plenty to spend. Also at Hull he had a healthy budget buying players like Livermore Huddlestone etc. I wondered what the prospects are here for spending cash as we are on the edge of FFP. Can only think Reach or Bannan are going to make some funds available. Looking now I think its a brave move maybe DCs last throw of the dice. So I will support it and cross my fingers that it works. Come on you Owls lets fly up that league and show the world who we are again.

Yes, there has to be a sizeable budget, or else it’s a foolish appointment. There’s no evidence to show that Bruce can do it without a decent budget